Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazy oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 PM
gli.der
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that no matter which way you choose to do it there will be no effect on the longevity of the motor. The main thing is simply to keep it fresh by changing it at recommended intervals.[/QUOTE]

NUFF SAID......

Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changing oil hot or cold? Just get the contaminates out of the oil. I rolled my Buell S1W out of the garage one wet Washington day. Ran motor until rocker boxes burnt fingers to the touch. Pulled the oil tank plug and the oil burped out cold.I do a total warm up of powertrain before changing now.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:33 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,319 Likes on 1,446 Posts

I take a nice long ride in the evening, put the bike on the lift table when I get home, pull the drain plugs and filter, and let it drain all night. Rubber gloves will protect your fingers from hot oil and drain plugs.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like we need an excuse to ride the dang thing...

Go for a 15-25 minute ride and get 'er fully up to operating temperature, one hour works better. Do what ya gotta do to change the oil your way. Then go for a 1-2 hour ride to break in the new oil. Stop along the way and check for leaks once or twice. I always heard new oil should be broken in so you don't void the warranty...

Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And we have an Olde Skool sighting

Old 06-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hot or cold it don't matter. Just drain it, put on a new filter and fill it up. Everybody just believes what jiffy lube says, that's why they still change at 3000 miles. A lot of old wives tales out there, but hey it makes the oil companies rich.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I change my oil like the dealer, ice cold. I measure the oil that comes out, it's all there. As far as moisture and contaminants, if any, I think they are in the oil. I just don't want to deal with a hot motor. Not worth the burn.
I believe that no matter which way you choose to do it there will be no effect on the longevity of the motor. The main thing is simply to keep it fresh by changing it at recommended intervals.
No, it can't be "all there" as you put it. A dry sump engine can't be drained of all its oil. Roughly 20% of it remains in the case and in the engine unless you use a technique or a device that I'd like to hear about like the Scavenger Oil system or equivalent. And like someone said before, if you have an oil cooler and you change oil when the engine is cold, you won't get rid of the dirty oil in the cooler.
Worst case scenario, you replace only 70% of your oil.
I'm just saying.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spur56
Hot or cold it don't matter. Just drain it, put on a new filter and fill it up. Everybody just believes what jiffy lube says, that's why they still change at 3000 miles. A lot of old wives tales out there, but hey it makes the oil companies rich.

This is partially correct. Hot or cold, yes. In between, no. It does matter. If you are gong to change your oil, letting it run for 5 or 10 minutes is worse than not starting it at all. Condensation starts forming at the highest points of the motor almost immediately after the combustion process starts. The motor needs to run a sufficient time at operating temperature for this moisture to be evaporated. 5 or 10 minutes is not sufficient.

As far a oil change intervals are concerned, Jiffy Lubes recommended 3000 mile interval isn't some arbitrary number that was pulled out of a hat. It is the recommended interval by most automotive maintenance organizations, automotive experts, and mechanics. Most vehicle manufacturers recommend a change interval of 5000 miles, some more, some less. ALL recommend more frequent changes if the vehicle is driven under severe conditions. NEWS FLASH......... Almost all driving is done under the parameters of "severe" conditions. ie....driven hard, heavy duty use such as towing a trailer, high speeds, dusty conditions, stop and go driving.....etc.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It is not required,especially changing so often and with the quality of oils and filters today.Most of the time can assure you these oil changes are not needed.So many are brainwashed by the oil conglmorate,just the way they want it and laughing all the way to the bank!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn! This is some funny $hit, all the oil expertise is amazing! I'm no expert but I've changed oil both ways and have never had a problem. If you had a shovel or pan running 60W I'd tell you it is best to warm her up first. With today's oils, I doubt there is much notable difference in the amount of oil you get out regardless of temperature. As far as contaminants and moisture, most will come out with the oil, the rest will burn off once the engine gets up to temp the next time, just like they do every time you ride. Warm or cold, just keep it changed regularly, the only way you will damage your engine from oil failure is if you somehow break the oil down from extreme heat or other type of extreme usage. Just my $.02 based on several hundred oil changes over the last 35 years.

Quick Reply: Lazy oil change