Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the security system really deter theft?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Ironmaiden
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the security system really deter theft?

As I navigate the waters of purchasing a new street glide in the fall, I am wanting to get everyones opinion: 1.) Does the security system really deter theft and worth the cost? 2.)Also anyone familiar with LoJac?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I would think it would deter theft. The bike wont start unless you have the key fob or the code. I would also lock the forks. That makes it a little harder for them to push it away. If they really want it they are going to get it no matter what. It will save you some money on your insurance also.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

IMHO, if someone wants the bike they're taking it security or not. To totally deter theft, get a .357 and just don't leave your bike unattended lol. LoJac, good system indeed. Not sure what the cost is for a scooter.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the average wannabe motorcycle thief the security system might be some deterrent and incentive to pick another bike. However, to the professional motorcycle thief it might slow him down but certainly will not keep\prevent him from taking the bike if he wants\needs it.

From much of what I have read on motorcycle theft, most bikes are not rode off but rather loaded into a van, truck or trailer and then parted out or sent out of the country. The latest thing is to use a van or panel lift gate truck, part out the bike in the truck and deliver the parts - the stolen bike never goes to a physical location in its original form. The HD security system will never stop a determined thief bent on getting the parts he needs that just happen to be on your bike.

I have it on my bike but I know if the professional thief wants the bike he will take the bike. I have been told that LoJac is only good if your local police department supports it.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
cjairplane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, besides the bike being disabled (electrically) when the system is activated, a $6 siren from Radio Shack is another good addition, and easy to install yourself. I am a LEO from CA, and LoJack is a great system for us...a lot of our cars have the receiver. I fly the helicopters for my Agency, and we also have the receivers in those. We get LoJack "hits" all the time, and get our ground guys to the cars in no time. Haven't had any hits on motors yet...don't have it on mine just because of the cost.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Like was said, If a thief wants your bike bad enough and knows how to disable the power, He's going to steal it. I have the alarm. I also bought the siren from Radio Shack for 5.95. Just plug it in! It makes a loud noise and stops only for a few seconds and starts back. I hope it stops whoever is trying to steal my bike. I hate dealing with insurance company's.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a look at the HD security system and its aftermarket competitors and told the MoCo I'd pass. Instead I installed the Aritronix ThunderPager system - I installed it with their photos of an FLH installation. Now I have more features for a lower price, and never have to visit the dealer for "issues" since I maintain the system myself and Aritronix provides any parts that wear out (the vibration sensor will wear out every few years or so) with great prices and customer service out of Arizona. The perimeter sensor is adjustable and will warn intruders away without setting off the whole series of alarm sounds, and can be operated in silent setting using the paging receiver. The current version is called the "Scorpio". I recommend it over the HD system.

Last edited by Firetender; 06-03-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:49 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

What is this alarm siren from Radio Shack? How does it "plug" into what?

thanks

Old 06-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

A professional crook uses a tow truck, or a truck with an engine hoist bolted in the back, some canvass slings and rolling motorcycle jack. Your bike could be gone quicker than you can put your jacket on. Alarms just keep honest people honest.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing that will help when a determined thief is after your bike is a good insurance policy. OTOH, if you're a thief & there's two or more bikes available are you going to pick the one with the security key flashin' or the one without?

Quick Reply: Does the security system really deter theft?