Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indication of EITM activated?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:21 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
Page 145 of the handbook says turn the ignition on but dont start the bike.

Trust me, you cant do it with the bike running. My dealer has turned mine back on a couple of times after a service. A 124 with 4 5/8 stroke running on 1 cylinder is a bad idea. Vibration is enough to rattle your teeth. Rotating the grip backwards does nothing, gotta stop the engine.
Might be because of your sest or perhaps it is a glitch in your fbw throttle 2009 and up bikes you can enable heat management with the engine running or not running ...It will on our domestic bikes anyway...As I do it at our dealership on a regular basis while setting up new bikes.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize my EITMS was enabled, until it kicked in a few weeks ago... I almost pee'd myself when it came on - I though I was having engine troubles (cylinder missing)... LOL!

I then proceeded to turn it off, once I got to where I was going...

Old 06-19-2010, 02:02 PM
antarius
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the EITMS "engage" when the bike is rolling, or only when stopped at a light?

I was under the impression that the system will engage (or turn off the fuel to the rear cylinder) when the bike is at idle *and* meets some other criteria (such as heat). I was also under the impression that it will not activate (thus shutting down a cylinder) when the bike is actually moving under power (I.E., you are giving it some gas) as it turns the cylinder back ON when the throttle is rolled back. In short, I assumed the system is designed to help prevent overheating while *STOPPED*, not while traveling slowly as it won't "Activate."

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:01 PM
cjairplane
Cruiser

You are correct. It will only activate at idle. It sure as heck better not otherwise! Thanks all for the responses, guys. I didn't mean to create so much grief, but I guess that's the nature of forums.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 PM
txroadglider
6th Gear

Queston: Is that your face reflecting in your windshield? I just noticed it. Maybe a little Photoshop?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:51 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,795 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Originally Posted by flight
No it does not. I turn mine on ands off all the time with it running. I do it in neutral and stopped.
+1 that's been my experience as well. I turn it off and on while the bike is running and stopped. Like in traffic.

lp

Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
agent58
Cruiser

I turned on the EITMS system on my 08 RK last week for the first time .I was riding in downtown Toronto on a really hot night.After a couple of red lights it kicked in.I noticed it right away.The idle was rougher.It almost made like a pumping sound.As soon as I twisted the throttle it ran normal again .I am going to leave the system activated.I figure anything to help the engine. If I remember right the manual says do it with the engine not running.Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Heat management

Aside from turning it on, your ecm reads the temp sensor on the front cylinder head and lowers the idle, starts enriching the fuel mixture and also starts skipping the fuel injectors when it senses a temp of 300. This is what my SEST with smart tune 2010 users manual says about the ecm that HD uses on at least my 2010. This is going to work with or without the EITMs turned on or off. I think that it is page 12. I noticed that i have a oil temp of 210 and the EITMs turned on and i can hear and feel it kick off the rear cyl. at a stop. This tells me that the oil temp is not showing what you cyl. temp is and it climbs real fast at a stop. EITMs in my owners manual says it comes on at 287 and in the sest users manual the other heat management starts in its three phases to try to control the temp of the engine at 300 and the rider would not be able to tell when it was switching through the three. How many are familiar with this three phase heat nmanagement? If i did not buy the SEST and soft ware i dont think i would have known this. This could explain why some are complaining about lose of power when hot. My bike was very sluggish after i got stuck in traffic and the EITMs kept kicking on and off. I am suspecting that this other form of heat management was enriching or skipping the injectors to try to cool it down. Maybe someone could verify this?