Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructions for Handlebar Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Made the switch on my '10 RKC from the factory bars to the "Heritage" style last night. Took about 1.5 hrs to do complete swap. Hardest part was getting the throttle by wire loom out of the stock bars. The snap module got wedged in the dimpled area and it took about 15 minutes to get it unstuck. What a pain in the butt that was. I was afraid that I was going to need to order up a new section. Finally got it out, and the rest went well. Even managed to save the grip and reuse it. Bought a Progressive drop in lowering kit, but need to pick up a socket for the tube caps, so will need to tear the front end totally down for that. Couldn't wait to try out the bars though. Will ride it to work tomorrow and see how it feels on the road. Doesn't look as cool as ape hangers, but feels better than the originals.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can you post pics of your RKC with the Heritage bars?

Originally Posted by Ridin'withTheKing
Made the switch on my '10 RKC from the factory bars to the "Heritage" style last night. Took about 1.5 hrs to do complete swap. Hardest part was getting the throttle by wire loom out of the stock bars. The snap module got wedged in the dimpled area and it took about 15 minutes to get it unstuck. What a pain in the butt that was. I was afraid that I was going to need to order up a new section. Finally got it out, and the rest went well. Even managed to save the grip and reuse it. Bought a Progressive drop in lowering kit, but need to pick up a socket for the tube caps, so will need to tear the front end totally down for that. Couldn't wait to try out the bars though. Will ride it to work tomorrow and see how it feels on the road. Doesn't look as cool as ape hangers, but feels better than the originals.
I have the same bike as yours and was thinking of the same mod, can you post pics of the after so that I can see what they look like on the bike?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser

Hopefully these pictures will show up ok. First attempt at posting pictures. The ride in to work felt ok, if a bit odd after having the stock bars on for awhile. I'll probably roll them back about another inch or so, and see if that's any better. as I said before, not quite as cool as apes, but for the money ($65) hard to beat. No cable changes required either. Just re-routed them a bit. I want to add a batwing fairing later this fall, so that might help with the taller look.

Attached Thumbnails Instructions for Handlebar Installation?-pic_0129.jpg   Instructions for Handlebar Installation?-pic_0131.jpg   Instructions for Handlebar Installation?-pic_0132.jpg  
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin'withTheKing
Made the switch on my '10 RKC from the factory bars to the "Heritage" style last night. Took about 1.5 hrs to do complete swap. Hardest part was getting the throttle by wire loom out of the stock bars. The snap module got wedged in the dimpled area and it took about 15 minutes to get it unstuck. What a pain in the butt that was.

. . . Doesn't look as cool as ape hangers, but feels better than the originals.
Sounds like your experience was similar to mine. We had no trouble getting the throttle wire out, but the module got stuck during re-insertion into the new bar. Once we got it turned and laying flat it went right through.

As for the comfort, I'm still adjusting little things, but I think I've got it. At first I had them too far forward (trying to get a little more lift). I liked the height but the angles were all wrong. I've put them back to a more normal angle and they're better. I had the clutch and brake lever a little too forward too, which cause some pain in my left wrist. That's now corrected by rolling the clutch lever back.

I still want some 12" - 14" Monkey bars, but now I can wait until they won't break the budget.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser

I'll be rolling my bars back a bit too. Will have to see how the clutch and brake levers feel then. Right now they are just a bit too far down, but all in all the round trip (60 miles) to work felt pretty good. It will still take a bit of getting used to having my hands closer to chest height as I have been riding sport bikes and dirt bikes my whole life. They are pulled back a bit more from the factory bars, so I don't feel all stretched out now. That alone is worth the money. If time proves I like the added height, I'll probably switch up to some taller bars in the future, also when funds are available. My gf just paid a butt load to have a Bullybar put on her 2010 RKC. It just floors me what parts for these bikes can cost. I think I'll invest in some additional iron working equipment and start making more of my own parts.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 AM
04rkrider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roll off switch

hey guys 1 quick guestion,my o4 r/k has a roll-off switch on the throttle cable by r/side of tank .its made as part of the cable ,do aftermaket cables also come with this switch ,

Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 AM
rok312
Tourer

Congrats on the new bars!!!

In terms of your question about installation, there is no better place to look than the HD Service Manual for your model, if not already in hand. Its a bit pricey, but I've found it to be priceless. I can't recommend it enough for DIY jobs.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:52 AM
driveone2
Intermediate

When you guys replaced your stock bars with the reduced reach bars, did you have to replace either one of your grips? I have the ISO grips on my 07 FLHRC and hope I don't have to replace them. Will be doing the change over next weekend. Thanks

Old 07-11-2010, 01:11 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Too much to read above but if not already mentioned make sure you change out stock handlebar mounts for urethane and thank me down the road.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 AM
MadIrish
Tourer

Guys, anyone know the proper torque to put on the handlebar bolts?

I'm using Heritage Classic bars and want to drop them down a bit off the plane of the forks....my short arms need a little help.

Quick Reply: Instructions for Handlebar Installation?