Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Speed Tranny- Noisy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:18 AM
jitz80
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it looks like the consensus is unanimous........that HD Syn 3 isn't what the guys at the harley shop say it is. After running a new clutch line, I lost some oil so I decided to change the tranny fluid altogether. The guys at the Dealership pushed to go to Syn3 and I found the Tranny sounded worse and the initial clunk into 1st gear got worse.

The guy at the local aftermarket shop keeps telling me I need to try the Spectro 75-140. I will changing my fluid asap.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I use Redline Shockproof Heavy in my '09 Ultra. It helped quite a bit with overall noise but the gearbox is still pretty noisy. Fortunately, you didn't get bombarded with any "buy a Honda" type responses, which is frequently the case when questions like this are asked.
The bottom line is that the HD Gearbox on later model Touring bikes are very noisy, and I'm not talking about 5th gear whine which is well documented and simply poor engineering on the pre 2010 bikes. What I don't understand, is how the 5 speed boxes on the 88 inch motors tend to be so much quieter. Lets forget for a moment the 5th gear whine in the 6 speeds and think about just the overall noise of the 5 speeds. The 5 speeds on the 88 inch motors are just flat quieter, whether we're talking about gear engagement or running noise. If anyone can explain this to me I would be most grateful.
One of the things that stops many people complaining bitterly, is the fact that despite the nasty noises and generally poor engineering, the gearboxes and motors in the bikes continue to perform reliably and with little wear and tear. That said however, there is no reason that we can't have it all, reliability and reasonable noise levels. Of course, this will never happen while the multitude of apologists insist that nasty noises, poor engineering and antiquated methodology are just "part of owning a Harley'.
No doubt I will have angered many with my comments and let me state for the record that I love my Ultra and have no intention of switching brands or anything like that. However, I can love what I have and still be aware of it's shortcomings.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 AM
cowboy-bc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The simple solution for transmission or primary noise are loud pipes and Hog tune speakers. The other thing I noticed is after 30,000k the transmission shifts better and is much quieter and I use Formula plus.