Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one have a carb any more

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:32 PM
badwiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one have a carb any more

Looking to tune my 2002 EGC carbed. Already have the scream eagle slip ons. I'm geetin a little sneeze from carb and wondering do i need to upgrade the a/c and rejet carb or just live wth it. i'm lookin at the CV Performance tuner kit http://cv-performance.com/index.php?...od&productId=3 and K & N A/C kit 3909. any thoughts ????

Old 06-02-2010, 01:04 AM
hot95hog
Cruiser

Mikuni HSR42 would be just what you need. You can bauy the Harley Screamin Eagle carb for a hundred or so dollars more and you get the same carb only difference is it has a HD emblem on it. Going big bore get a HSR45

Old 06-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Spokomo
Advanced

I've got an '01 EGS with a CV carb, SE pipes, and K&N filter RK3909.
There's some great advice to follow from Nightrider for tuning your carb. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm
And, here's the adjustments I made to my scoot.
main jet: 195 pilot: 48 (probably could have used a 46) 1.75 turns out from seated on the mixture screw. Two #4 washers propped under the stock needle. I get 40 - 46 mpg with no sneezes, coughs or wheezes. It's just a tad on the rich side, but...on the upside the bike runs cool. No fried thighs. The stock CV carb works great on 88" and mild tune 95" bikes. It'll pass all the air needed to fill stock heads.
Only if you decide to do head work and run big cams on a 95" or bigger would I suggest moving to the HSR 42 or 45. Just my humble opinion.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 AM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the pipes and filter the first change I made to my Dyna was to put a Mik 42 on it. Cured all the little problems the stock carb had and gives such excellent throttle response it makes CV's look sick. Not saying it makes more power at the milder state of tune than the CV but it's so much better behaved and responsive. If you can afford it do it but if not at least you know you'll not be losing any power.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my last bike , I had a great combination that worked well and improved my mileage also.
The bike was a 2006 FLHT (carb) with Vance and Hines Classic Slip ons and the Arlen Ness Big Sucker
air filter assembly.
I went with a #48 pilot jet and a 27094-88 sportster needle , leave the stock main jet.
The idle mixture screw at 2 turns out and 950 RPM idle.
Ran great , great fuel mileage , cooler running , faster warmup , all for under $20.00.
If this combination doesn't work for you , it would be really close anyway.
I tried at least 10 combinations of jets , needles , adjustments , still cost me less than $40.00 to try them all.
The stock carb is very nice to work with , and stays working well when you're done.
Mick

Old 06-02-2010, 06:16 AM
caper
Cruiser

From 1/4 to 3/4 throttle you're on the needle jet, so 1st thing to adjust would be the needle, either with shims or the N65C needle 27094-88. A free flow breather kit along with the free flow mufflers and re jetting will really wake it up. I haven't used the CV Performance kit but what I've heard about it is it's pretty good....the taper on the needle is similar to the N65C needle.
If you get the sneeze when you hit the throttle check your accelerator pump diaphragm for holes

Old 06-02-2010, 06:22 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sneeze means lean mix! To correctly dail in a carb,first you have to know what you are working with and how it functions.Then you dail in each circuit,remembering they all work together.The transition from one circuit to the next needs to be seamless.Having the required parts and working knowledge to dail in a carb is mandatory.Patience helps.Good Luck

Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Spokomo
I've got an '01 EGS with a CV carb, SE pipes, and K&N filter RK3909.
There's some great advice to follow from Nightrider for tuning your carb. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm
And, here's the adjustments I made to my scoot.
main jet: 195 pilot: 48 (probably could have used a 46) 1.75 turns out from seated on the mixture screw. Two #4 washers propped under the stock needle. I get 40 - 46 mpg with no sneezes, coughs or wheezes. It's just a tad on the rich side, but...on the upside the bike runs cool. No fried thighs. The stock CV carb works great on 88" and mild tune 95" bikes. It'll pass all the air needed to fill stock heads.
Only if you decide to do head work and run big cams on a 95" or bigger would I suggest moving to the HSR 42 or 45. Just my humble opinion.
I did the same mods on my 2004 Wide Glide and she ran sweet. No sneezing, coughing, etc. The CV carb is a good carb - nice and reliable and has decent performance. For me, no point in spending big bucks on a replacement carb, but that's my opinion.

I wish I had a carb on my Ultra - this FI stuff creeps me out because I don't know anything about it. Maybe I am old fashioned, I don't know...

Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I did similar modes and have a SEAC and 65115-98B pipes on my stage 1. Bike runs fantastic for an 88". Last week raced my buds 08 SG with a nicely tuned and cammed 96" stage 1 with Reinharts and I was almost able to keep up. He was pissed!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A sneeze usually means a lean condition. Try backing out the mixture screw a tiny bit. Does it sneeze if the enrichner is pulled out?
Did you do make any changes before it started to sneeze.
You can rejet and solve the problem too.
If you can't resolve it the HSR42 is a GREAT choice. Trouble free, no warmup, no sneezing, super easy to tune and fantastic throttle response.

Quick Reply: Any one have a carb any more