Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: Rebuild or Total my wrecked FLHTCI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My thought was that the OP has to work (assuming). If he were to do the work himself, it would be at night and weekends. Unless he's super diligent, there would be a significant time investment with a DIY.
The trade-off for dropping it off at the dealer and paying someone to do it.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've the bike has some special sentimental value to you by all means rebuild it better than it was and you'll never regret it. 2002 in my opinion is the best twin cam year made.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 PM
twoodbury
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing that concerns me about the DIY gig is the electrical stuff, not the mechanical. The whole batwing and front light assemblies need replacement along with some of the gauges, stereo, and the like. I'm no electrical engineer and I dont want to blow up everything as I'm trying to fix it. If it were all metal and fiberglass, wouldn't be so hesitant!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
When I had my bike repaired(see previous post), it was done in 2 weeks not the whole riding season. I went back to the dealer a couple times after the repair for some additional problems and State Farm came through each time.
Had you needed a gas tank for example from HD, you would have lost the whole riding season. They don't keep those parts "off the shelf" at the dealer...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:31 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by twoodbury
The one thing that concerns me about the DIY gig is the electrical stuff, not the mechanical. The whole batwing and front light assemblies need replacement along with some of the gauges, stereo, and the like. I'm no electrical engineer and I dont want to blow up everything as I'm trying to fix it. If it were all metal and fiberglass, wouldn't be so hesitant!
Well I've been in my batwing several times, installed new stereo , replaced all circuit breakers , rewired my spotlites so they can be on with high beam or low beam, had my tach and speedo out on the bench and replaced all the bulbs, saying all that it was quite easy and fairly straight forward especially with a good service manual, I'm sure there really isn't all that much differnence from my 89 flhtp and your 2002 so don't be intimidated and there is always some good help here.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Popeyejoe
6th Gear

The insurance company didn't total the bike, they sent a check for repairs on the estimate, the title remains the same Popeye

Old 06-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Popeyejoe
6th Gear

The electrical part is easy! every harness has plugs to match each accessory, not to mention the color code on the wires-- just match them up Popeye

Old 06-05-2010, 04:08 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Firetender, I did need a new tank and a 100th anniversary paint job to boot. I think that's why it took so long. But you're right, it may have been 3 weeks, don't remember for sure...I know it was less then a month.

I couldn't believe the price for a gas tank on the insurance form.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:59 AM
GeezerGlide USA
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by twoodbury
Was up in the mountains a couple weeks ago when another driver crossed the yellow line sending me off the road. Bike is a recently purchased 2002 Electra Glide Classic FLHTCI with 3,800 miles on it (that's right, 3,800 miles). Insurance company says the bike was deemed repairable (engine and frame ok) though will need thousands in repairs.

My dilemma: Insurance gave me the option to total it and take the money or have it repaired so I can keep my bike. Effectively, the "payout minus salvage" number to the insurance company is close to the "repair cost" on the bike.

Personally, I love this motorcycle as I bought it from a family member who really dressed it out nice. Also know that the bike is worth far more to me than what the insurance company would pay me (ie - I couldnt go out and buy a new FLHTCI with the insurance money, let alone with the upgrades, accessories, pipes, etc. on my current scoot). However, have gotten mixed feedback from friends about getting it repaired vs taking the money.

Opinions? Rebuild it or let them total it? Pros / Cons either way?

Thanks for any help!
Sorry for your crash there, hopefully you didn't get hurt too much!

In my view there are two aspects to the question whether to rebuild or to walk away from it. One obviously is the cost of rebuilding. If your insurance payout covers that more or less - great.

The other aspect is that it can be very rewarding to rebuild. The process of figuring it all out, mocking up, wrenching and seeing it all come together is a great experience, in my opinion. I'd say go for it!

Old 10-31-2020, 12:19 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

This crash and thread was 10 years ago. Why are you responding to it??