Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: Rebuild or Total my wrecked FLHTCI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 PM
acftgrunt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chasd
Also, your bike will always be a rebuild and if I were in the market for a used bike I would pay less for a rebuilt bike than one never having been in an accident. Tough call but I traded my bike after a much less serious accident just so I did not have to deal with the BS and be out a bike for half the riding season. Good Luck
Unless you see it on a title / detailed repair bill, how would you know what all needed to be replaced after a accident. My bike will not have a salvage/rebuilt title and thats with at full frame replacement. It's up to the individual that owns the bike and who is doing the work. I can agree that my local dealership has earned my respect and many others on their maintenance practices and repairs.
And "if" I decided to trade I am 100% sure that I would be getting a fair trade value as any other guy that walked in to the dealership.
I don't feel I am missing out on the riding season because if I got a new bike I still have to deal with my injuries regardless and that is going to take time.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
chasd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aftgrunt-sorry for your injuries and thank you for serving our country. I think you can car fax a bike and see that it had been involved in an accident. To what extent I am not sure if you can see all the details. I am not saying I would NOT buy a bike that had issues in the past but I would prefer not to all things being equal and would want to pay less just "in case". Yes you know your dealer did a good job but I may not have that same warm and fuzzy feeling and if there are plenty of options available I might prefer to avoid the situation. THis is just my opinion of course

Old 06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
acftgrunt
Cruiser

Chasd, I was just throwing my 2 cents in it's all good. What it comes down too is the individual and what they are willing to ride wrecked, used, or new. I will say if I was given the chance I would have rather them total the bike for financial reasons but then I wouldn't have a bike to ride and for me thats not a option. BTW I consider it a honor that I can serve.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 PM
smclaren
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am all for rebuilding the bike. I bought my bike already wrecked and tore it all apart and rebuilt it myself got it the way i wanted it and at more than half the price of a new bike.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Having a dealer do the work will work for you if hidden damage is found. The insurance will adjust accordingly. Without a lot of grief.

I could be wrong but the title has to go to the insurance co. Then they sell it as salvage along with a salvage title. Maybe sh57 can add to this.

I bought a bike from up north and brought it to Tennessee. It had a salvage title. Tennessee doesn't and my title has no reference to salvage.

Check your policy and see if you can get a rental.

Glad your ok.

Last edited by wlbowers; 06-02-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was hit and negotiated with the ins. co., got the HD dealer's estimate and took the bike home. Got a 1-party check to myself from the ins. co. and did some of the work in my garage and the rest at the machinist's shop.
HD result: bike back with Stage II, Hooker slip-ons and no scratches, 68 hp, $6000
My result: bike back with a tiny invisible scratch in the tank, Stage III+ 101.6 hp engine with SuperTrapp SuperMegs 2-into-1 and SE flowed heads, gear-driven S&S 570G cams, forged pistons, PCIII-usb, floating chrome rotors, chrome front end.

My advice: Locate a good independent, contact Zanotti's and Chicago HD with your parts list and get crackin'...

Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

If it is paid for, I would take the settlement and get the bike fixed. Then totaly customize it the way you like it.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:26 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wlbowers
Having a dealer do the work will work for you if hidden damage is found. The insurance will adjust accordingly. Without a lot of grief.

I could be wrong but the title has to go to the insurance co. Then they sell it as salvage along with a salvage title. Maybe sh57 can add to this.

I bought a bike from up north and brought it to Tennessee. It had a salvage title. Tennessee doesn't and my title has no reference to salvage.

Check your policy and see if you can get a rental.

Glad your ok.
The hidden damage problem is a good point. We handle hidden damage directley with the repair facility. As far as the title goes, i can only speak for north carolina, but if you buy a totaled bike at auction you will in fact get a salvage title. If you owner retain a totaled bike, depending on you local DMV, your title will end up being branded as a total, but i have seen some slip through the cracks. As far as a car fax report, any damage over 25% of the veh value will show up and i have seen very minor repairs show up as well. This could very well affect resale value even if your title is clear. Each person has to look at their own set of circumstances and do what is best for them. The problem is a lot of people are making choices without knowing all of the facts of how it will affect them not only now but in the future.

Last edited by sh57; 06-02-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty interesting thread!
My "opinion", I would do as a previous poster stated, make a list of needed repair items, and a list of wanted upgrade items, and do it yourself. Your insurance co. is paying labor, which will be nearly half of the cost of the repair. Going through Zanotti, or Chicago HD will save you 20% over what your dealer will charge too.
Of course you'd be down for the season, but you could potentially have one bad a$$ bike when your done.
Just another option if you have the mechanical ability!

Last edited by Scorpion07; 06-03-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

When I had my bike repaired(see previous post), it was done in 2 weeks not the whole riding season. I went back to the dealer a couple times after the repair for some additional problems and State Farm came through each time.

Quick Reply: Advice: Rebuild or Total my wrecked FLHTCI?