Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010 | 05:32 PM
gunner11
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Thumbs up Total Knee replacement

Well guys, I finally got it done, about 5 years later than i should. They did the replacement on the 18th of May, and it went real well. I got releasd from the hospital on the 22nd, stayed home about 4 days when my wife came home and found me talking out of my head and running a 104 temp. She caled 911, and it was back to the hospital. It seems while I was in there I caught Community Aquired Pneumonia. Stayed in there another 4 days and got that under control and I got sent back home again with some heavy duty meds.

Everything is going pretty good now, I'm working hard at rehab, and my physical therapist says I'm about 3 weeks ahead of most people. He doesn't know how bad I want to ride.

I did under esitimate this surgery after having 2 scopes. This was much more painful and traumatic. Anyway, it's good to be back with you guys, and I'm looking foward to that 1st ride again. Stay safe. Gunner

Old 06-01-2010 | 05:57 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Good for you. I hope you're back in the wind soon. I've had three back surgeries, and am facing more, just putting off the inevitable. Chronic pain is no fun, you'll be better off very soon.

Old 06-01-2010 | 06:05 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member

stopped in at the roswell, n m harley shop on saturday. nice town. had a friend that at 66 had a knee replacement and made a full recovery. you also will make a full recovery. we went to ruidoso, silver city, and then on to soccoro this weekend. hope the spelling is correct on these cities. highway 152 between silver city and I-25 was incredible.

Old 06-01-2010 | 06:27 PM
pled55
Road Master

[QUOTE=gunner11;6797982]Well guys, I finally got it done, about 5 years later than i should. They did the replacement on the 18th of May, and it went real well. I got releasd from the hospital on the 22nd, stayed home about 4 days when my wife came home and found me talking out of my head and running a 104 temp. She caled 911, and it was back to the hospital. It seems while I was in there I caught Community Aquired Pneumonia. Stayed in there another 4 days and got that under control and I got sent back home again with some heavy duty meds.

Everything is going pretty good now, I'm working hard at rehab, and my physical therapist says I'm about 3 weeks ahead of most people. He doesn't know how bad I want to ride.

I did under esitimate this surgery after having 2 scopes. This was much more painful and traumatic. Anyway, it's good to be back with you guys, and I'm looking foward to that 1st ride again. Stay safe. Gunner[/QUOTE

good for you .you will be glad you got it done after everything gets all healed up.got two myself .one in 07 and one this past july.wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.at any rate hang in there and get your theraphy and all your range of motion.don't baby it.anyway it took me about 8 wks. from surgery to riding .hard headed i guess but i have no problem riding and the best part no pain.also can't stress this enough be very careful with the meds.they have a tendency to become habit forming. good luck

Old 06-01-2010 | 06:30 PM
BB lover
6th Gear

Been there. I had tkr 3/24/08. Best move i ever did. I was back riding in 6 weeks. Rehab sucked but has surely paid off. In fact, we did a 505 mi. cruise yesterday. Good luck and keep rehabing hard.

Old 06-01-2010 | 06:50 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member

you'll be glad you did it...

Old 06-01-2010 | 07:13 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome back around gunner...I guess in your case as of now "no pain no gain" you'll be riding free again real soon. Take care.

Old 06-01-2010 | 07:26 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Default Welcome back

Hey I have been putting the replacement surgery off myself for about 5 years. We are planning sturgis this year. The knee may be my winter mod this year. Therapy is always good...hope you at least have some attractive young ladies caring for you...

Old 06-01-2010 | 07:33 PM
bsindian
Novice

I had TKR 2 years ago, took me over 3 months before doctor gave the OK to ride, gotta keep working the knee so it doesn't get stiff, PT was painful but worth it, I think I would have been riding within the 2nd month if I hadn't listened to the doctor, it could have caused more problems if I had. Just wait for doctor to give OK to ride, it will be worth it.

Old 06-01-2010 | 07:50 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Hang in there. I have had 2 spinal fusions in my neck, and a disc repair in my lower back. Rehab is hell, but it does pay off. If you don't want to stay on meds the rest of your life (I will be), then wean yourself down. They can cause you all sorts of problems.

Hope you have safe and happy riding very soon, RD.

Quick Reply: Total Knee replacement