Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checked the transmission fluid level today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:18 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Checked the transmission fluid level today...

at 525 miles and it shows at the 'low' level on the dipstick. I took the reading on a cold engine, had not started it and it was on the jiffy stand. Should it have been this low on the dipstick with so few miles? If not, so much for those dealer PDI's that we pay for in the 'set-up' fee. I know; obviously, I should have checked it before today.

I wanted to ride today; can I top it off with something from an auto parts store or should I wait until I can buy the 'approved' H-D Formula + Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant since I'm another 500 miles out from the 1k service. My local dealer is closed Sunday and Monday's...

Thank you,

Attached Thumbnails Checked the transmission fluid level today...-harley-davidson-transmission-dip-stick.jpg  
Old 05-31-2010, 01:22 PM
flhtpi158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless the service procedure has changed from 2005 to the current models, the transmission level needs to be checked with the bike level, not on the jiffy stand. That is probably why you are getting a low reading on the dipstick.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:45 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by flhtpi158
Unless the service procedure has changed from 2005 to the current models, the transmission level needs to be checked with the bike level, not on the jiffy stand. That is probably why you are getting a low reading on the dipstick.
The service manual specifcally states 'Park motorcycle on jiffy stand' and to remove the dip-stick but do not screw it back in when checking level. Doesn't state if the fluid should be hot or cold, only to allow a short period of time to equalize lubricant level in the transmission compartments.

Maybe I should run the engine for a few minutes, let it sit for a few, then re-check level with the fluid warmed up?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You checked the trans correctly, however I check mine while warm. after a ride I park and let it set for a few minutes. Then check the level. You don't have anything to worry about if it is correct then. PS: I would not mix fluids.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:11 PM
rkrdr2
Advanced

Even at the add mark you are good to ride,it is not going to hurt anything...you better off a little low than to overfill it!

Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 462 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
You checked the trans correctly, however I check mine while warm. after a ride I park and let it set for a few minutes. Then check the level. You don't have anything to worry about if it is correct then. PS: I would not mix fluids.
+1, agree on all points. FWIW, I've noticed very little difference with the transmission level between a hot and cold check.

BTW my 2010 SG was delivered from the dealer dangerously low, barely registering on the tip of the dipstick.

Last edited by BeeRAD56; 05-31-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:28 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Man does everybody obsess over a few ounces in their 4 wheel vehicles?

Fluids are checked HOT because they expand when HOT and that is the level they run at while HOT. Thats why you check fluids HOT, not warm, not after idleing a few minutes, but HOT!

Old 05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hog-doc

Fluids are checked HOT because they expand when HOT and that is the level they run at while HOT. Thats why you check fluids HOT, not warm, not after idleing a few minutes, but HOT!
I guess I do, when that 'obsessing' is a fluid that is at the 'low' mark, which is clearly NOT where the service manual says it should be. And the difference betrween a 'low' and 'high' mark in a four wheel vehicle is far more than a few ounces, so yeah, I'd top that off too.

I'm pretty clear on the fluids being 'hot' when checked, especially something like transmission fluid. I guess when my service manual was printed, Harley forgot to put that information is, as it does NOT specify hot or cold, hence the point of the question. Funny, when I look that up in my Mercedes, Suburban and Workhorse chassis motorhome service manuals, it actually states that the fluid needs to be hot. (Automatic transmissions) It wouldn't hurt Harley to be more specific, then dummies like me wouldn't post these questions. And as the post above states, it doesn't seem to make much difference in the level, so if mine is low cold, for the most part, it's still gonna be low when hot.

I'm not obessing about getting an eye-dropper out and putting in 8 or 9 drops of transmission fluid, but there IS a difference between a 'low' fluid and a 'full' fluid, or why bother marking the dip-stick with 'low' and 'full; it could just be 'full' and 'good luck'.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 05-31-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Banjo Bo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hog-doc

so much for [PRE] trip inspection.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:46 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's at the low level line cold, it will be perfectly fine once you get to operating temperature. If it was at the high mark cold you would have too much.

Quick Reply: Checked the transmission fluid level today...