Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Electra Glide Power Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:42 AM
djcook66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Electra Glide Power Issues

He folks,

I posted this in the tech forums are as well. Just wanted to put this out there to all my fellow bagger riders and see if any of you have experienced or fixed the following issue.

Let me start by saying I have searched the forum and found several different situations as mine:

I own a 2000 Electra Glide with right around 60K on the speedo. Traveling at highway speed (70-75mph) and experienced a total shut down of electrical power. I loose everything, tach goes to 0, all gauges die, I am not sure about the lights. I pull in the clutch, cycle the off switch with my thumb to off the back to start, I then get my oil light back hit the start button and she starts back up.

This happen seven time is total over a 18 mile stretch yesterday. outside temps were close to 90 degrees. Funny think is I had ridden all morning with no issues.

Like I said I have searched the forums and have found several other posts that are close to my issue and have seen everything from Ignition Coil to a Kill Switch for when the bike is laid down?? However, no one has commented on what has fixed their issue.

I am in a pickle. Have a major ride coming up this weekend and if missed I am out $400. I really need to track this down.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

R/
Dj

Old 05-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Bill C
Advanced

You didn't say whether you checked battery connections for solid contact and they are secure.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:54 AM
cdesero
Tourer

Think i would also check the battery. and check for a loose wire under the fairing ? Good Luck

Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the battery connections, A loose connection could be forcing higher amp draw and kicking out your main breaker. Check both ends of the battery cables. If they are all tight, you'll need to get a volt ohm meter (and if you don't know how, someone that does) to start doing some checking. I've also heard of a bad kill switch doing this.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 AM
djcook66
Intermediate
Thumbs up Thanks

Hey all,

Just wanted to take a sec and say thank you for your help. Also wanted to say thanks to FXSTS-88 for your offline help.

Changed out the Main 30AMP breaker with a Harley Davidson 50AMP replacement breaker. Took the bike on a run this weekend, "Ride Across Maryland" and the bike ran like a raped ape all weekend. Almost 500 miles on it since the change and not a hiccup one!

Again thanks a ton!

Dj

Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice Bike by the Way hahaha....see sig.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:27 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have had the same thing with my old FLHS recently. My bike is an International spec (I live in the UK), so I don't know if the same thing can happen to a US spec, but it is something else to look out for if this sort of thing happens.

I have an accessory toggle switch, which switches on the fender lights, but turns everything else off. I had a short circuit, due to heavy rain, which killed everything. Repeated flicking the switch returned normal power for a while, but it did the same several times on the same day. It didn't do it again, but I soon replaced all those switches with new ones.

Last edited by grbrown; 06-08-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:45 PM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djcook66
Hey all,

Just wanted to take a sec and say thank you for your help. Also wanted to say thanks to FXSTS-88 for your offline help.

Changed out the Main 30AMP breaker with a Harley Davidson 50AMP replacement breaker. Took the bike on a run this weekend, "Ride Across Maryland" and the bike ran like a raped ape all weekend. Almost 500 miles on it since the change and not a hiccup one!

Again thanks a ton!

Dj
Glad to be of some help. Chasing electrical gremlins can cause one to pull their hair out! W/o some experience with auto electricity one can chase the problem(s) all over the circuits. Problems such as yours are difficult (if not impossible) to diagnose away from the bike. Is good it ran ok during your weekend ride.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:05 PM
jmarquardt2001
Stage IV

I have a 2000 classic too, with the EXACT SAME problem. (engine & gauges stop, I coast to roadside, wait 30-seconds then restart it). The HD dealer has no suggestions, they have had it 7-days already. I have determined that this SAME PROBLEM first occurs when the engine is HOT, otherwise its OK. This happened 7-times yesterday, again. UGH. Any ideas? The dealer already told me the newer circuit-breaker is the higher-amp one.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:49 PM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarquardt2001
I have a 2000 classic too, with the EXACT SAME problem. (engine & gauges stop, I coast to roadside, wait 30-seconds then restart it). The HD dealer has no suggestions, they have had it 7-days already. I have determined that this SAME PROBLEM first occurs when the engine is HOT, otherwise its OK. This happened 7-times yesterday, again. UGH. Any ideas? The dealer already told me the newer circuit-breaker is the higher-amp one.
Replace the circuit breaker. They do weaken when used in high temp areas. I think I'd start carrying a spare if I rode an 'older' bike with that setup. They are relatively easy to get to to change on the road.

Quick Reply: 2000 Electra Glide Power Issues