Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Dipstick/Oil Tank Temp...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:19 PM
KAH24DupontChevy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Dipstick/Oil Tank Temp...

Bike: Street Glide, 96ci, Stg 1, Rinehart TD, M1 V-twin synthetic 20w/50

Air temp: 85-90 degrees F

300 lbs 2 up with gear: rider, passenger, 20 lbs max luggage

Interstate riding at 75-80 mph: Oil temp at dipstick 227 F max

On back roads at 55-60 mph: Oil temp at dipstick 236 F max

City stop/go with lots of idling at redlights: Oil temp at dipstick 241 F max

Not scientific, but I just took these measurements using my HD oil digital gauge while riding around recently. I checked several times and recorded the max temps.

To me, the synthetic oil can easily handle these temps and much higher without a problem. As long as I'm moving, even when hotter, it is a comfortable ride (asked the mvp missus and she was comfortable), and don't believe the engine has a problem without an oil cooler.

Wondering what you guys are seeing for oil temps. I know that the oil bag temp is lower than engine/head temp, but curious.

Ride safe,

Karl

Old 05-31-2010, 06:55 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats very close to what I see on my dash mounted gage.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:34 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by KAH24DupontChevy
Bike: Street Glide, 96ci, Stg 1, Rinehart TD, M1 V-twin synthetic 20w/50

Air temp: 85-90 degrees F

300 lbs 2 up with gear: rider, passenger, 20 lbs max luggage

Interstate riding at 75-80 mph: Oil temp at dipstick 227 F max

On back roads at 55-60 mph: Oil temp at dipstick 236 F max

City stop/go with lots of idling at redlights: Oil temp at dipstick 241 F max

Do you have the EITMS system on your bike and does it kick-in when you read 241F on the dipstick in city stop and go?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the HD fairing-mounted gauge and HD oil cooler. Here are some numbers when air-temps are >90°F (CHT = front cylinder head temp):

>50mph constant: 200° max (CHT=225-235°)

35-45mph city, mostly moving: Usually <210° (CHT=250-260°)

Heavy stop-and-go city traffic: Max 230° (CHT=270-290° max)

My EITMS activates at 290° (CHT), but it rarely kicks in. It takes a while to get oil temps up to 230° even in the worst conditions, and in two summers it's exceeded that (slightly) only once.

IMO every TC engine needs an oil cooler, so if you're the least-bit worried about oil temps, get one. It should reduce peak temps 15-20° and will work even when not moving to some degree by convection.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
I have the HD fairing-mounted gauge and HD oil cooler. Here are some numbers when air-temps are >90°F (CHT = front cylinder head temp):

>50mph constant: 200° max (CHT=225-235°)

35-45mph city, mostly moving: Usually <210° (CHT=250-260°)

Heavy stop-and-go city traffic: Max 230° (CHT=270-290° max)

My EITMS activates at 290° (CHT), but it rarely kicks in. It takes a while to get oil temps up to 230° even in the worst conditions, and in two summers it's exceeded that (slightly) only once.

IMO every TC engine needs an oil cooler, so if you're the least-bit worried about oil temps, get one. It should reduce peak temps 15-20° and will work even when not moving to some degree by convection.
There could be something wrong with my bike then cause I have an oil cooler, I run synthetic, I have a PCV, I live in PA which is not a hot state and the EITMS kicks-in very frequently, like as soon as I hit 4 or 5 traffic lights in a row.

I keep the lowers on the bike year round. This could explain why my bike runs hot but what you wrote puzzles me.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
There could be something wrong with my bike then cause I have an oil cooler, I run synthetic, I have a PCV, I live in PA which is not a hot state and the EITMS kicks-in very frequently, like as soon as I hit 4 or 5 traffic lights in a row.

I keep the lowers on the bike year round. This could explain why my bike runs hot but what you wrote puzzles me.
I also have lowers and never remove them. They actually seem to help cooling a bit while moving as long as the vents are open, although HD claims they may increase heat while stationary because they trap the engine heat. I haven't noticed this with oil temperatures over the last two summers, however.

Your bike probably trips EITMS sooner than mine, as I think the threshold temperature is lower, like 285° or so vs. 290° with mine. CHT is very volatile and changes constantly depending primarily on speed. I'll be doing some tests with the PCV map switch, toggling between my lean map for mileage and richer map for cooling. The numbers I gave above were in the mileage mode, which uses AFRs close to stock in the cruise range.

Also, which cooler are you using? If it's a Jagg and has the optional thermostat, check to make sure it is opening. I have a friend to bought a 10-row and the first t'stat wouldn't open and the second wouldn't close. He gave up and nixed the thermostat. Jagg doesn't even recommend them, but I haven't heard of any such problems with the HD cooler.

Last edited by iclick; 05-31-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
I also have lowers and never remove them. They actually seem to help cooling a bit while moving as long as the vents are open, although HD claims they may increase heat while stationary because they trap the engine heat. I haven't noticed this with oil temperatures over the last two summers, however.

Your bike probably trips EITMS sooner than mine, as I think the threshold temperature is lower, like 285° or so vs. 290° with mine. CHT is very volatile and changes constantly depending primarily on speed. I'll be doing some tests with the PCV map switch, toggling between my lean map for mileage and richer map for cooling. The numbers I gave above were in the mileage mode, which uses AFRs close to stock in the cruise range.

Also, which cooler are you using? If it's a Jagg and has the optional thermostat, check to make sure it is opening. I have a friend to bought a 10-row and the first t'stat wouldn't open and the second wouldn't close. He gave up and nixed the thermostat. Jagg doesn't even recommend them, but I haven't heard of any such problems with the HD cooler.
I have the HD Premium oil cooler. I don't think there's a problem with it. When I'm stuck in traffic, the oil cooler doesn't really help cooling the temp.
I've loaded a different map, richening the mixture at idle and below 2,000 rpms. I'll see if EITMS is activated less frequently with this one.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:30 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker

Ii got same setup - HD oil cooler, PCV with mileage and cooling map controlled by a switch - just last weekend, i hit EITMS on both maps .. was surprised and bike still got hot that my daughter had to put her right leg on my saddle bags... i thought adding oil cooler would help.. will install a oil temp on next 3 hole change... i have Syn main oil and reg on rest.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by papifun
Ii got same setup - HD oil cooler, PCV with mileage and cooling map controlled by a switch - just last weekend, i hit EITMS on both maps .. was surprised and bike still got hot that my daughter had to put her right leg on my saddle bags... i thought adding oil cooler would help.. will install a oil temp on next 3 hole change... i have Syn main oil and reg on rest.
You and I are in the same boat. You live in Canada and me in Western PA, neither of them can be considered hot regions. I hate to think how hot my bike would run in AZ ..... or maybe it'll be the same? Maybe if I richen the mixture to the point of getting 20mpg, the exhaust temp will drop and my passenger's right ankle will stop baking? <sarcastic>.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't say,never trusted those gauges.Every time I ever tried checking oil temp with different temp sensors always got wildly different readings.Finally bought infared handheld and it is my standard.

Quick Reply: Engine Dipstick/Oil Tank Temp...