Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Dipstick/Oil Tank Temp...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
Can't say,never trusted those gauges.Every time I ever tried checking oil temp with different temp sensors always got wildly different readings.Finally bought infared handheld and it is my standard.
What handheld infrared do you use and recommend?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:36 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
Can't say,never trusted those gauges.Every time I ever tried checking oil temp with different temp sensors always got wildly different readings.Finally bought infared handheld and it is my standard.
I've double-checked my oil temp with a meat thermometer and an infrared gauge, the latter reading both at the pan (metal) and the oil itself. The results were within a few degrees of the fairing-mounted gauge. From what I've read the digital dipstick gauge tends to read a bit higher than the fairing gauge, but it is measuring in a different place in the pan and that may make a difference.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
What handheld infrared do you use and recommend?
I've been using this gauge and it seems to be accurate. They claim accuracy of ±4° or 2%.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by papifun
Ii got same setup - HD oil cooler, PCV with mileage and cooling map controlled by a switch - just last weekend, i hit EITMS on both maps .. was surprised and bike still got hot that my daughter had to put her right leg on my saddle bags... i thought adding oil cooler would help.. will install a oil temp on next 3 hole change... i have Syn main oil and reg on rest.
If the traffic is bad enough and you're in it long enough, like what I encountered in New Orleans rush-hour last month, nothing will keep oil temps from climbing into the danger zone. It depends on what you are getting into, but I'm talking about typical summer traffic where you're moving slowly or not at all for short periods, like 10-15 min. duration after the engine is already hot.

I find that oil temps change very slowly, both up and down, and I try to anticipate hot-running conditions before I get to them. If I know I'll be in slow-moving traffic I'll switch to the richer map before I get there and that slows the accent of heat. Head temps, OTOH, change rapidly and you can watch it happen as your speed increases or decreases--but when I flip the switch into a richer map CHT usually just stops or ascends more slowly rather than decrease until you get moving again. IOW it isn't a panacea that will cause oil-temps to suddenly decrease as you sit in traffic, but I consider it an important option to use when needed, as every little bit helps. There really is no fix for heat in slow-moving traffic except possibly a cylinder fan, but I don't really want to go that route for several reasons. I'm not convinced they are reliable or durable and are expensive. I would consider mounting a small MC radiator fan inside the horn, but haven't figured out a way to mount it with my air horns.

Also, adding fans to the oil cooler helps decrease the rate of ascent too, as I've tried this on two occasions but didn't find a good solution either time. I might try it again if I could find some waterproof fans that I knew would last a while and be able to handle the constant heat. So far I haven't found any, and waterproof fans small enough for that area are expensive.

Last edited by iclick; 06-01-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:04 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by papifun
.. was surprised and bike still got hot that my daughter had to put her right leg on my saddle bags... i thought adding oil cooler would help.. will install a oil temp on next 3 hole change... i have Syn main oil and reg on rest.
The oil cooler should be helping, but it isn't a panacea, and are less-efficient as the speed decreases. You might consider adding some mid-frame heat deflectors like those that HD, Kuryakyn, and others sell. I have the HD model and they help keep hot air off my legs.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I've been using this gauge and it seems to be accurate. They claim accuracy of ±4° or 2%.
Thanks. l'll go get one after work.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:04 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My #4 bro rode my '07 Road King Classic to AZ on our roadtrip the last couple of weeks. We had a hi-90's afternoon and rode up South Mountain for a view of the greater Phoenix area. Due to the winding road, we were seldom out of 2nd gear. At the top, I went over and pushed the display button on the LCD dipstick...279 degrees! And it has a HD Oil Cooler installed. Glad I was running M1VT in it!