Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traxxion AK- 20 Axxion Cartridge

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had them on both my 2008 Ultra Classic and 2005 Goldwing. A very noticable ride and handling improvement. I made an appointment with Traxxion, dropped off the Ultra in the morning, and road back to Jersey that afternoon. Great People! Great Product!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Your shocks can be set up for you with no problems. We can not make them shorter. They were made for a different customer than you so they will not work properly for you. If you wish to call me about this problem, than do so.

As far as Traxxion Dynamics goes:

Those cartridges are one of the best (top of the line) fork solutions out there. I make a very similar product also (X-Factor) and have sold and installed many to members on this form. I am discontinuing them once the new Ohlins cartridge kits are developed and made by me for all late model Harley Davidson's.

Next weekend I am installing the first 30 mm cartridge system on my Dyna. I am putting on dual disks (320's MMC) as well as real Brembos. They should be delivered on this coming Friday. This was 6 months in the making and they have been tested and on the track currently. The first set was put on and still is on Danny Eslick bike found HERE during testing at the beginning of the year.

Danny said that this bike is vary comfortable with cruising speeds of 150 mph and under than stiffened up to hold traction under load (corners).

What this means to you. No matter where the application is, a road surface is a road surface, that does not change. Different bikes and applications vary greatly. Ohlins is very adjustable and can be adjusted to the owners needs. That is why you see what parts are what and how they work on my web site (Ohlins page, no little mysterious black box). We can make our applications suit a Dresser as well as a World Champion.

What it does: This unit provides a bleed through shim system with multiple dampening circuits which differentiates between the speed of the road irrationalities. Just like our rear shocks it works very similar. The OEM damper valve, fork caps, and springs (suspension system) is tossed out and only the fork tubes, sliders, bushings, seals, and mounting screw remain. This is the replacement parts:

These forks will now be externally adjustable rebound, compression, and spring pre-load. In 2011 Ohlins will market a (retrofit-able) adjuster system that will remotely do these same adjustments. For road use it would be handled by a very small computer (about the size of a bicycle speedometer) for handlebar/fairing mounting. For track use these adjustments can be made wireless from your pit crew, GPS, and external marker recognition (found at tthe track). This is a redundant system to avoid errors.

Dyna: To make it work in a 49 mm fork tubes, it is very easy. I will make a video for demonstration with a girl doing it.

Bagger: Due to the wobble/handling and external valving/spring pre-load adjustments going through the top cap a new top aluminum triple tree will have to be offered. This top triple tree clamp will actually clamp around your existing fork tubes (like a Dyna of Softail) eliminating the top fork tube mounting bolt. The (retrofit-able) adjuster system can be installed. This system will be worked on next week and is very involved as many different top clamps must be drawn out and manufacturing previsions made. Not an easy job to do it correctly. It will not be available in the next few weeks.
Howard, how about some progress reports...? I'm very interested in your set-up, front and rear. Is your package deal available yet?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:50 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Since I do total performance equipment we are going to design a new top triple tree to clamp around the fork tubes. In racing we get great stability when we drop the top clamps (OFF Road) in a gull wing type (squint to see) of design allowing you to use your same fork tubes. Compression, rebound, and spring pre-load available through the top.

The included top clamp alone has proven to give a noticeable increase in ride stability by itself. Why just put out a product that is the same as everyone's?

I am currently in the process of finishing off my radial caliper mounts for the Ohlins Universal, finished the fixtures and final design for my mid-glide triples for both (very different models) the XR1200 & any 50 mm top/54 mm bottom inverted forks (have the Ohlins R&T in mind), and getting ready to produce them.

The top triple tree is sitting on the work table and will be designed & produced next. Ohlins/Motorcyclemetal strive to be on the cutting edge of technology and absolute highest quality products in the world.

Today I am installing the 30 mm forks into my 05' Dyna. Tomorrow I am shooting a video on how to rebuild your forks (all Harley Hydra-Glide ~ Current) & post it on my DIY site.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:40 AM
shadowrunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pair of Howard's X-factor forks on 07 RKC, had them for over a year now and
what a huge difference they make , no bobbing at stop, no weird sideways movement
when pavement is not perfect, excellent feel and control when riding hard.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:58 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Traxxion front and rear setup on my '06 GL1800 and there was a world of difference in the handling improvements.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by wingman05
I had them on both my 2008 Ultra Classic and 2005 Goldwing. A very noticable ride and handling improvement. I made an appointment with Traxxion, dropped off the Ultra in the morning, and road back to Jersey that afternoon. Great People! Great Product!
Can I assume you had this done at their Georgia location?

If so, did they remove and install the front shocks on the bike. How did that go?

Did they have any issues with your UC with respect to getting everything off and back on without damage or scratches?

I'm thinking of having my '08 UC done by them as well. I live about 20 minutes from their shop but haven't found anyone that's had the AK-20 system installed on the bike by Traxxion at their Georgia location.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Old 07-03-2010, 11:12 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Subscribed...

Old 07-03-2010, 07:53 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Can I assume you had this done at their Georgia location?

If so, did they remove and install the front shocks on the bike. How did that go?

Did they have any issues with your UC with respect to getting everything off and back on without damage or scratches?

I'm thinking of having my '08 UC done by them as well. I live about 20 minutes from their shop but haven't found anyone that's had the AK-20 system installed on the bike by Traxxion at their Georgia location.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Traxxion people are great to deal with, ask for Mike. If you wanted to install them yourself you may go to my DIY site and read the step by step instructions until you get it apart. After that I will show anyone how to remove the fork pipe check valve and install the cartridge. I will than show you how to re-valve and re-spring the cartridges and wet em' down. I am shooting the video tomorrow.

The difference between (installing them) my 30 mm and the Traxxion's 20 mm cartridges is you will need a spring compressor to put them (Traxxion's) together where our design does not need one. I have read on this forum over a few years time, who some have said that the Traxxion could not be worth the money in added performance and would rather put the $300 stuff in them. Hint, ya, they are worth the money if you actually like to ride.

There is so much more performance and huge comfort differences in cartridges VS the 1948 Hydra-Glide design that is OEM on almost every HD. For the discerning riders who own a great cartridge fork, post your experience for those inquiring minds who wish to know.

Last edited by FastHarley; 07-03-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:07 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been going back and fourth on how to deploy my capital. One day it's looks and another day it's performance. Really want the traxxion in the front and ohlins in the rear.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 PM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody know if Traxxon makes both front/rear setup like Howard?Don't make any sense to do the front and not the rear.

Quick Reply: Traxxion AK- 20 Axxion Cartridge