Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove left side grip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
Sent an email to Avon and received this response this morning. Avon uses a glue impregnated paper that is wrapped around the bar and then wetted so this won't work with other grips.

"Yes, you can go to your local pharmacy and buy a syringe and then squirt warm water under/into the grip to reactivate the adhesive, then gently twist the grip and you will hear the tape give and then you can slide the grip off. You will need another piece of tape to reinstall grip."
This is what I do only I use either naphtha or WD40 in the syringe. I used to do this on golf club grips as well.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 AM
grumpy old biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
Not a true statement…….I know for a FACT, b/c my stock left grip was not glued when I swapped them out.
Grips on my shovel, evo, twin cam, and wifes sportster were all glued on. Maybe the plant missed yours.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy old biker
Grips on my shovel, evo, twin cam, and wifes sportster were all glued on. Maybe the plant missed yours.
True statement. All factory grips from production should be glued on. If they weren't then the factory missed it, or someone already swapped them out

Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

No not true. TOURING models are kept on with a flange that fits up inside the switch housings. There is a flange with a notch that when trapped between the switch housings will not let the grip rotate due to the notch in the flange. Even my service manual states that the grip is installed this way. It makes NO REFERENCE TO GLUE!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
No not true. TOURING models are kept on with a flange that fits up inside the switch housings. There is a flange with a notch that when trapped between the switch housings will not let the grip rotate due to the notch in the flange. Even my service manual states that the grip is installed this way. It makes NO REFERENCE TO GLUE!
My TOURING model was glued from the factory

Old 06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BennieSG
True statement. All factory grips from production should be glued on. If they weren't then the factory missed it, or someone already swapped them out
Again, not true……

No need for a pissing match fellas….I am the original owner…..changed my grips twice now.

DrPlastic said it correctly, mine and I would assume most (obviously not all) touring models have no use for glue of any kind as the grips have "collars" on them that get wrapped over by the switch housings.

They cannot rotate or slide off.

Not a big deal, didn't mean to start any arguments.

Ride on boys!!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Again, not true……

No need for a pissing match fellas….I am the original owner…..changed my grips twice now.

DrPlastic said it correctly, mine and I would assume most (obviously not all) touring models have no use for glue of any kind as the grips have "collars" on them that get wrapped over by the switch housings.

They cannot rotate or slide off.

Not a big deal, didn't mean to start any arguments.

Ride on boys!!
True there is no use for glue, but the statement I am agreeing with is MOST (with the exception of yours) come from the factory with the left grip glued on. I have swapped more than a few sets of grips. 3 sets were touring models and ALL of them had been glued from the factory. Again I am not saying they have to be glued on, just that the factory is suppose to glue them

Old 06-04-2010, 02:02 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BennieSG
True there is no use for glue, but the statement I am agreeing with is MOST (with the exception of yours) come from the factory with the left grip glued on. I have swapped more than a few sets of grips. 3 sets were touring models and ALL of them had been glued from the factory. Again I am not saying they have to be glued on, just that the factory is suppose to glue them

Copy that Bennie…….c'mon now, snuggle up for a hug.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:58 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Copy that Bennie…….c'mon now, snuggle up for a hug.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Galvatron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what works to remove the factory left grip.

Give it a few twists to loosen the edge. Then poke an air nozel down the grip and blast, work it aroind the grip. Now grab some WD-40 eith a tube nizel on it, set the bars upright so the grip is on the bottom, poke the WD nozel under the edge of the grip. Give it a few light twists to let it soak in. No shout and throw your back into one giant twist and the grip should slide right off. Easy!

Quick Reply: How to remove left side grip?