Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove left side grip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Grab it from it's very end and pull toward you and twist the crap out of it. It should come off unless someone glued the crap out of it but I doubt it. It should come off with some good twisting.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No twisting in the world will budge it. The only thing twisting was the skin on my hands and it was getting painful. I'm not sure what kind of glue Kuryakyn uses with their grips but it is like concrete once dried. I'm kinda of wishing now that I would have tried to work around not using glue at all. I like the alcohol/fingernail polish remover suggestion. Gonna give that a shot when I can get around to it. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

BC

Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sent an email to Avon and received this response this morning. Avon uses a glue impregnated paper that is wrapped around the bar and then wetted so this won't work with other grips.

"Yes, you can go to your local pharmacy and buy a syringe and then squirt warm water under/into the grip to reactivate the adhesive, then gently twist the grip and you will hear the tape give and then you can slide the grip off. You will need another piece of tape to reinstall grip."

Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 AM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In anticipation of the removal problem, I cut the original grips off (they are cheap) and then installed the aftermarket grips using only dried softsoap (no glue of any kind). Once dried, the soap will hold the grip on quite adequately, but it can be easily removed later on.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
Why are you guys gluing the left grip anyways?

None of mine have been glued….the collar of my left grip sits in a channel in the switch housing, it ain't going anywhere…..makes for extremely easy grip swap outs.

Maybe some don't have this same set up?
Some of them come with the glue already on the inside.

I've had good luck with a hair dryer, or a heat gun on low setting. Melts the glue enough so they slide off.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:30 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Could try soaking with acetone or superglue remover. the acetone breaks down the glue. there may be some swelling of the rubber but it returns to shape after it dries out. Just remember to protect other areas of your bike with plastic sheet or something non permeable so no acetone gets on any painted surfaces

Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
grumpy old biker
Cruiser

Simple! Their all glued on. Take a small screw driver and slide it down inside grip, spray WD40 down along screw driver. Do it in 3 or4 places and grip will slide off. Clean bar end with paint thinner and add a amount of contact cement and slide new grip on, spin around bar once. Done deal!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy old biker
Simple! Their all glued on.
Not a true statement…….I know for a FACT, b/c my stock left grip was not glued when I swapped them out.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

I just did this today when installing my Performance Machine grips. I removed the stock grip by sliding a screw driver down under it and then sliced it with a razor knife (Did not need to keep it). But there was glue on my bar under the grip. Almost looked like the Avon paper glue wrap, like mentioned above. I used a razor blade to scrape it off and then cleaned the bars with carb cleaner, before installing the new grip. The new Performance Machine grip uses two little allen set screws to hold the grip to the bar.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:30 AM
buzzy62
Advanced
Smile

i also plan on putting on these type of grips but instead of glue that comes with it i'm going to use grip tape that you would use on a golf grip, water activated kind. 1 wide spiral wrap should do it.

Quick Reply: How to remove left side grip?