Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VOX vs PTT

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VOX vs PTT

Read a couple of threads here on the intercom system. Try as I may, I can't seem to get the INT selection to work as I'd like using VOX. No matter how I adjust the volume or the sensitivity, the mic. will still activate when I don't want it to. Passing a semi, hitting the throttle hard, wind gust.....etc. Tried adjusting it all different ways on several different rides and have come to the opinion that it's useless.

Wondered how many Ultra riders that use the intercom are able to get the VOX feature to work like it should, or does everybody just use the PTT when they want to talk to the passenger or other riders ?

Thanks

Old 05-29-2010, 09:40 AM
J_Bob
Cruiser

I set the VOX a couple of bars below the always active setting. Breaking squelch is almost a guarantee when passing a semi or in gusty conditions. Otherwise it works fine. If I set the squelch too low the wife and I are just yelling at each other and that defeats the purpose of an intercom. (Now if I just had a mute button for the occasional comm jamming that comes from the back seat, I'd be golden.) FWIW, I use the Boom! shorty headsets, maybe your stock headsets are the problem?

Last edited by J_Bob; 05-29-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by J_Bob
FWIW, I use the Boom! shorty headsets, maybe your stock headsets are the problem?

I do use the stock headsets and set the VOX setting lower as you mentioned. After reading other thread on my original symptom, I got used to saying...ummmm...before actually speaking what I wanted to say, but still the VOX will kick in when you don't want it to. Going out today to a Margaritaville Bash at an HD dealer an hour or so away and using just PTT. We'll give that a try. Really only pushing a button when you want to speak.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2010, 09:50 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got the shorties with with the boom also. No real problems with the VOX activating except as mentioned before...in a real bad cross wind or going by a truck. no problems from my own bike. my problem was i thougth it was broke because it didn't work...then i fugured you had to turn up the volume on the intercom. after i did that, its worked fine...except as described above.

cass

Old 05-29-2010, 10:33 AM
J_Bob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cass
...then i fugured you had to turn up the volume on the intercom.

cass
Yeah, that one took me awhile too.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

So I went on my ride yesterday... I followed the owner's manual and from what I read, once you plug in both headsets (without the INT button turned to ON) you should be able to use the PTT button to talk to your passenger. I wasn't able to get it to work ? How do you get the headsets to work just using PTT without the INT turned on ? And, how do you adjust the volume if you don't have the INT turned on ?

Thanks

Old 05-30-2010, 01:47 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i don't think so...i think the int still needs to be on, you can just go to am, fm, aux or cb if you want. but i believe the aux has to be on. i never turned mine off and it works when i get back on.....hope it helps

cass

Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM
GAZippoman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by J_Bob
Yeah, that one took me awhile too.
Same thing here. Besides that, no problem with the VOX. Passing semis breaks squelch as noted above. We're usually listening to music, and it fades it in and out nicely.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just use PTT as I soon got fed up with interuptions - I'd think VOX would work if using full face helemts

Old 06-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Deer Stalker
I just use PTT as I soon got fed up with interuptions

Soooo. how do you get it to work ? Do you have the INT turned on or off ? It doesn't really tell you much in the owners manual.

Quick Reply: VOX vs PTT