Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VOX vs PTT

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i keep mine on all the time. works for me.

cass

Old 06-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

If I remember correctly from my UC days, there is two settings for the intercom. One is for the sensitivity of the VOX, how easily the intercom will open, the other is the volume, how loud the voice is inside the helmet.

You should be able to access these settings on the face of the radio.

If you use the PTT button, be advised that any conversation you have may be transmitted over the CB radio and anyone on channel will hear you.

I liked the VOX setup a lot, when set correctly it works great, unlike the intercom on the Gold Wings, they sux, stay open all the time. They are so bad a fellow rider invented Mic Mutes to turn them off and on...and sold like hotcakes...

Are you using the foam covers? and do you have the mic part facing you and not the air? Believe me I've seen a lot of them facing the wrong way and it's easy to get them turned around...

Once you have it set, it'll be sweet.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Casper
If I remember correctly from my UC days, there is two settings for the intercom. One is for the sensitivity of the VOX, how easily the intercom will open, the other is the volume, how loud the voice is inside the helmet.

You should be able to access these settings on the face of the radio.

If you use the PTT button, be advised that any conversation you have may be transmitted over the CB radio and anyone on channel will hear you.

I liked the VOX setup a lot, when set correctly it works great, unlike the intercom on the Gold Wings, they sux, stay open all the time. They are so bad a fellow rider invented Mic Mutes to turn them off and on...and sold like hotcakes...

Are you using the foam covers? and do you have the mic part facing you and not the air? Believe me I've seen a lot of them facing the wrong way and it's easy to get them turned around...

Once you have it set, it'll be sweet.

Thanks for the suggestions.....However, once you turn on the intercom it defaults to VOX. What I want to know is how to disable the VOX be able to talk to my passenger simply using PTT. The owners manual says all you do is plug in the headsets and use the PTT button. I tried to do it this way and it doesn't work ?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
Thanks for the suggestions.....However, once you turn on the intercom it defaults to VOX. What I want to know is how to disable the VOX be able to talk to my passenger simply using PTT. The owners manual says all you do is plug in the headsets and use the PTT button. I tried to do it this way and it doesn't work ?

Thanks
Yes it will default to VOX, but that's were the settings come into play, you'll have to play with it and get it set right.
I don't believe you can talk to your passenger via the CB without broadcasting over the CB....you gonna have to use the intercom and that will engage the VOX....stay with it, you'll figure it out.

If you have the settings set low, you will have to break the vox with a "um" or something like that, if you're going slow or not in heavy traffic, move the setting up so the "um" is not needed...easy once you get used to it.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Casper
Yes it will default to VOX, but that's were the settings come into play, you'll have to play with it and get it set right.
I don't believe you can talk to your passenger via the CB without broadcasting over the CB....you gonna have to use the intercom and that will engage the VOX....stay with it, you'll figure it out.

If you have the settings set low, you will have to break the vox with a "um" or something like that, if you're going slow or not in heavy traffic, move the setting up so the "um" is not needed...easy once you get used to it.

Thanks for all your help, but I've played with the settings for weeks and I'm tired of having to adjust the VOX depending on wind, semis, my jackpot mufflers, etc. Just when I think I have it set right...... Anyway,

The manual does a crappy job of explaining how to set the intercom to use PTT only. It tells you that you can do it, and warns you that if you have the CB turned on you'll be transmitting what you say over the CB but it doesn't really tell you how to use the PTT with the intercom. I read it several times.

Anyway, I went out before and finally figured it out. You turn on the INT and adjust the VOX sensitivity all the way down. The screen will then read VOX closed. Once it's closed you then use the PTT button to talk over the intercom which is seperate from the CB radio. I was trying to get it to work with the INT turned off because the manual talks about PTT and that all you do is push the button on one page and tells you that you can do it that way and then on the next page refers to the VOX and turning on the INT to adjust all the VOX settings.

For me, this is the way to go. I don't want to have to keep playing with the sensitivity and have the VOX mic on when I really only say a sentance or two every hour anyway. If I'm on a group ride and we're using the CB I'll have to revert back to the VOX settings.

Thanks for all the help and hopefully everyone else knows now how to set it up like this to talk by just using the PTT button.

Last edited by Harley_RN; 01-07-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

if i remember correctly, you can disengage the vox by turning it down. the ptt switch will not transmit across the cb unless it is also on. you should be able to adjust the vox...i think its one of the buttons on the face plate of the radio. like mentioned earler, stay with it, you'll figure it out. thats what i had to do.

cass

Old 06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Dougger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to use the intercom, turn it on.
I have to say a word to open the vox.
You might want to change the HD headset for a J&M, much better quality.
I had a problem, which was, I dudn't have the intercom volume up

Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

i went with one j&m and used the stocker on wifeys lid that really screwed with vox, bought a second j&m and it is much improved.