Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspected cam chain tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Inspected cam chain tensioners

Did this as part as the 25K service just for peace of mind......cost me 100 bucks....but worth it. Found the shoes to be in excellent condition, with a little wear. Most of my miles have been highway miles and I have run Mobil 1 15w-50 since the break-in oil was replaced.
I usually swap bikes at 30K or so.......but I think I'll hang on to this one. Have ordered the S&S cam gear drive, install kit, and Andrews TW26 cams and will install this unit when I return from Monument Valley. This will eliminate the worrisome bearing failure potential, above eventual shoe replacement, and add some HP and throttle response.

And school is still out on the '07 model. As some say, if you have a sweet one, it would be wise to keep it..........seen some sad tales of woe here on some bikes.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:33 AM
mrwizard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Inspected cam chain tensioners

I also recommend it. Mine were worn 2/3 of the way through each time....the past two times. I was only getting 15,000 miles out of a set...or....change tires twice, change cam tensioners. Last year I did them twice.

I just took my third set out and replaced the whole mess with S&S gear drive. Bye Bye cam tensioners.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:36 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I had mine changed out at 9008 miles for peice of mind when they put in the stage 2 big bore kit,mine showed a very slight wear that i could hardly catch my finger nail on. next time I have them checked I'll more than likely change over to a gear drive set up and eliminate them

Old 08-29-2006, 06:56 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Mr. Wonderful, is this something that I might be able to tackle with manual in hand? I know enough to be dangerous. I have 19600 miles on the bike and these posts have me wondering about this.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Grayhawk
Advanced

I have 34,000 miles on my 05 Ultra and I have never looked in the cam chest. I still have 5 months left on the factory arranty and I have bought an additional five years of extended warranty. Any failure is covered under my warranty. I am going to ride it till it starts making noise and then i will have them replaced. I ride 20,000 miles a year so the factory warranty will pay off for me. one set of cam bearings and cam tensior shoes will pay for the additional five years of warranty. If the cam bearings let loose and ruin my motor, Harley will put in a new motor under the factory or extended warranty. I can't lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 11:12 AM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you Grayhawk!!

Old 08-29-2006, 01:35 PM
jackj
Banned

I just went with gears @ 25K

Old 09-03-2006, 11:18 PM
mrwizard
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Grayhawk

I can't lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uh....doesn't having a broken ride that keeps you from riding count as losing?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:35 PM
texanharley2005
Advanced

Has any one ever asked if the warranty covers these parts? they are wear parts that over time will wear out.. Not sure about the warranty covering something like this..Just was thinking i have the extended warranty also but i have never asked about these parts..

Old 09-04-2006, 12:36 PM
mrwizard
Advanced

The "Extended Warrenty" is not really a warrenty, it is an insurance policy (not through HD) and it DOES cover the cam chain tensioners if they wear prematurely. HD DOES NOT cover them. I got into a major p*ssing match with my dealers service department because they WOULD NOT EVEN MAKE THE PHONE CALL as the "KNEW" they were not covered. Well, THEY WERE WRONG! And....it cost me $273 instead of the $50 flat on the extended warrenty. (that's AFTER I spend many hours on the phone getting the extended policy to pay for some of the repairs but the dealer put in parts (SE pushrods) that voided future claims unless I put the stock parts back in. And...the insurance would not pay for the SE pushrods. Got the dealer to cough up the stock rods and gaskets and replaced them myself. )

The second time they wore out it cost me $50 flat fee on the extended warrenty.

But.....

The THIRD time they wore out I changed to S&S gear drive. Nothing to maintain in there any more and the valve train has a pleasant gear "whine" to it.

Quick Reply: Inspected cam chain tensioners