Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Power Gremlin

Weird thing happened tonite after a 300 mile ride, we went to leave the gas station after fillup , the bike started ok and just when I went to let the clutch out to go I lost all power, turned ignition switch off then on and no dash lites then while switch was still in on position the dash came back on and I was able to start bike but it did the same again, eventually it stayed running and I made it home. Now I know for sure I lost the main power because the stereo was powered right off and it lost its memory for preset radio stations. The radio is connected to key ignition and the main always hot wire for the memory purpose. Bit of history , in the past the bike was shutting down and I replaced all the circuit breakers and never had a shutdown problem again well until now. Today the radio was resetting itself while cruising on the hiway ie powering itself off and on kind of constantly but not loosing its memory settings.
I'm going to start tracing wires tomorrow but would welcome any suggestions or directions?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery or battery connection.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you added anything electrical or done ANY mods they may have chaffed wires, etc...? If so, I would start there. Then I would follow wires to see if any are rubbed OR if a connector has worked itself loose. Hope it all works out.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:09 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Going to start at the back at the battery and follow the constant power upto the 15 amp con breaker. I did do a bit of rewiring for the spot lite, it got unplugged under the stereo which I had siliconed tight into the hole.The spotlite is actually suppose to goto the yellow wire on headlite but for some reason previous owner had it going somewhere else. I'm also going to pull the stereo and check underneath it where I had tried pulling the constant power red wire from under it.
Well off to the Bat Wing.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I found that the stereo ignition wire was not connected very well and soldered it, I also moved the spot lites wire to the assesory breaker. While looking through my manual I realized all the flhtc wiring diagrams had 4 x15 amp circuit breakers and 1 30 amp breaker my bike which is flhtp only has 3 x 15 amp breakers.
But either way I've been out and put roughly 400 miles since the rewire and no problems.
I'm wandering if the loose wire for the stereo may have caused a surge on the 30 amp breaker while it for cuttiing out?