Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upper valve train tapping

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I have the same "ticking" noise - just chalked it up to standard HD motor. Maybe it is more? never really gets too bad and does not sound or feel like the motor is going to give. If and when I do a displacement upgrade I will check the parts out a little closer. Nice bike too! Ride safe and often.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaswood
I know I find myself doin the samething with the throttle. now I crank the radio.there big pieces of **** . my lawn mowers make less noise. im gonna pull the heads this winter.......thanks.
How long have you owned this bike? Has the noise been there since day one? Harleys engines make a lot of noise. The only time i get worried is when a NEW noise appears.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 PM
sweetglide103
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2011 streetglide and mine developed a ticking noise after about 4,xxx and it now has around 6,xxx......its been at the dealer for over 2 weeks now and all they have found after tearing the top end down is a lifter that was scored leaving a shiny wear line on my cam.....the bike is a factory 103.....so harley agreed to pay for new lifter.....not sure if they replaced all of them or just the bad one....have to guess just the bad one..... and i talked them into cutting me a deal on some se-255's....and no labor cost to me since it was apart....after putting it all back together...still making the ticking noise....he called me today and told me hes trying to get harley to agree to ok them to put in an upgraded pressure reliefe valve allowing better lubrication uptop.....anyone had this work for them....?......thanks

Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I have valve train noise, but it is only at 2500 rpm. It is annoying, but I ust ignore it and run the **** out of it.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 PM
chaswood
Cruiser
Default vaulve train noise

i replaced my lifters and put the baisly preasure valve and spring and it still tapps at around 2000 rpms, im gonna take the last guys advice and run the **** out of it and learn to expect that the motor co is going to continue to produce **** for us to ride .. its like having a little piece of **** pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!when it blows up if it does ill figure it out then. i love my bikes but i think the motor company doesnt have quality all thought out....

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

.. its like having a little piece of **** pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This just made me laugh out loud, I have no idea why.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:44 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

i replaced my lifters and put the baisly preasure valve and spring and it still tapps at around 2000 rpms, ....
08 & 10 FLHX both had the Baisley spring installed which eliminated 98% valve train noise except for 2000-2200 RPM area. because of the overall improvement this has to be unrelated to the lifters bleed down, but what? Interesting that the 103 Valve train noise is getting dealer and moco attention.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 AM
sweetglide103
Advanced

only because it is undeniable that the ticking noise is present and progressive.....gets worse the longer i have the bike...and i agree with above post....Harley im sure knows there is a known problem...but as long as people are willling to hand over twenty something thousand dollars for their ticking machines.....they have no reason to change anything....I love my bike but this ticking is driving me nutZ

Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 AM
chaswood
Cruiser

Im listening to everyone and im starting to think that the tight valve guide is making more sends to me because I changed the rockers, lifters&pushrods&steaming eagle rocker plates, the only thing I didn't do is shim the rockers because they were in tolerance...but the reason I think it could be the valve guide is im getting some poping on the deselleration !!! That just started. I never had that before!!!!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:41 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by rstekeur
I asked the same ? and was told to get ear plugs. I used to wear a 1/2 helmet and for that reason went to a 3/4 helmet because the tapping drove me nuts. I switched to redline and I think it has gotten quieter. I know a lot of people that spent money trying to get rid of the tap and haven't found anyone that did. Pretend your driving a ford diesel , or get ear plugs lol
After having a Metric that ticked like it was a diesel, I monitor the valve noise closely to see if anything changes. It sounds like 9k is a milestone I will be listening for. I've got to say though, even if the noise gets as loud as my Metric was I don't plan to get freaked about it cuz Vtwin jugs are just that way and if It was something serious I would have blown the motor up on my Vstar and I used to run the hell out of that bike and it always held together and that motor wasn't build anyway near as good as this 96er is.

Quick Reply: upper valve train tapping