Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upper valve train tapping

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:26 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

Ha! I was going to tell you to get some ear plugs.

Did you check to make sure the pushrods weren't bent when you changed the lifters?

If you pull the heads, go ahead and send them to Big Boyz for a street port.

My motor was quiet like a sewing machine even after I built it with the 95" and 203 cams. When I switched the cams to HQ0034 and installed the SE Cam Plate and Oil Pump (w/Baisley Spring), the top end was a lot louder. After half a season, I inspected the lifters and had a collapsed from lifter that was new from the first build. I replaced them with stock B lifters and it quieted down the motor a lot, but not like it was stock or with the 203s. I'm running straight 50W Valvoline VR1 for the summer and it made it about another 20% more quiet and almost like stock. Of course I do ride with earplugs and an iPod most of the time and don't hear it anyway.

Good luck

Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

If it helps, I've been riding these Harleys since 1962. Every one of them "tapped". Why they are quiet to begin with, I can only assume there could be a bit of drag in the valve guides that prevents the roller from leaving the cam lobes. But, then, I'm no wrench either. Maybe stiffer valve springs would help.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:32 PM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nemick
Unfortunately, this noisy top end seems to be the nature of the beast. I've been chasing it too and have gotten nowhere. Certainly the lifters can sometimes take a while to pump up and I will be trying some different ones in the near future. I'm using Mobil1 oil as I believe it's the best out there, but I am seriously thinking about trying some dino oil for high mileage engines in the hope that it helps a bit.
I've even wondered whether the rocker box cover is acting as an amplifier and if there isn't some way to deaden it some too.
Let us know if you find any solutions.
http://www.tpeng.com/rockerboxes.php

Old 06-19-2010, 06:15 AM
DCWC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am approaching 25,000 miles. The Tapping noise is consistant and really has not changed. It must be inhearent in the design. I have not noticed any change in driveability.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:03 PM
jandt
Cruiser

I had the same issue with noise, Used to run Amsoil. After talkin to a couple others that had swiched back to dino oil with positive results,I did the same...go figure no more noisy valve train. Havent noticed any difference in engine temp but what i have noticed so far is that before with Amsoil my oil level would drop a little between oil changes.Nothin real major but noticable on stick. Since ive switched to dino the oil level doesnt move at all. Im not preachin for every one to switch to dino oil but it worked for my ride with good results.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 AM
DCWC
Intermediate

What grade did you switch to? Did you go to streight 50 wt.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 AM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaswood
i have alot of tapping goin on about 2000 and up, and when its hot i get it at idle. its an 08 96 rg with 16000 mi. the oil pressure is good. i took the lifters out and inspected them and 1 of the rollars was warn( the rear exhaust), so i inspected the lobe on the cam and it looked good.i replaced them with new stock ones with assembly lube and quick install push rods. it was a little better at first. but its back to about the same. i tryed convenional and synthetics. i installed a baisley spring in the cam plate. its sounds like its at the top of the motor. i had some efi problems awhile ago and the motor did some back firing on the highway at the 2500 range, that has bin fixed, im wondering if the backfiring could have messed up the rockers or the vaulve guides. any feedback will be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.. charlie
there have been a lot of riders chasing that tapping and to no end still have the tapping
if your bike has a fairing or windshield it more or less amplifies this noise it's gonna be there but if you has say a roadking and removed the shield it would be significantlly less.but no one to date that i know of has cured it 100% good luck ride safe

Old 06-20-2010, 10:42 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I installed the Baisley spring and shimmed the rockers. Even with my high lift cams my motor is as quiet as any HD I have ridden. My worst tapping was from one of the front rockers which had .020 end play. I shimmed all of them to .003 to.005 when I installed the TP rocker boxes. This combo really fixed my ride. I can still hear some ticking with my 3/4 helmet but is hardly noticable. I give the TP boxes and shims most of the credit.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:16 PM
AJRK1
Advanced

Any backfire at high RPM can cause a problem; that's my 2 cents.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:43 PM
hd-sg-rider
6th Gear

After installing woods 555 cams and quick adjust pushrods my lifters made a lot of noise. On the recommendation of a few forum members and some research I went with the woods lifters sold buy fuelmoto. Since then my lifter tapping is pretty much gone but I do still hear the rockers. I am almost up for another oil change and plan on switching from amsoil to mobil1 in hopes that this combo will quit the slight rocker noise.

Quick Reply: upper valve train tapping