Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter backing plate bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
DWhite
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter backing plate bolt

I have a Ness Big Sucker Air Filter. I lost one of the long big bolts that holds that backing plate on. I have some oil seeping out the hole now. Anyone know where I can pick up a replacement bolt?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:35 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned

The Harley backing plate has captive bolts just to avoid the kind of problem you now have (i.e., a lost bolt).

Old 05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Are you saying you lost one of the two large bolts that bolt the backing plate to the heads? If so, how did you lose it since it should be torqued in? I'd be worried that it would start to cause an intake leak. AN should be able to send you a new bolt.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 PM
DWhite
Tourer

Originally Posted by dawg
Are you saying you lost one of the two large bolts that bolt the backing plate to the heads? If so, how did you lose it since it should be torqued in? I'd be worried that it would start to cause an intake leak. AN should be able to send you a new bolt.
Yes, the large bolt that holds the plate to the head. Truthfully, I dont think I torqued the bolts down as it is a button head and uses an allen wrench.
I got an email from FuelMoto and they suggest going back to Ness and getting a bolt from them. I was hoping to find something locally or something quick.

Last edited by DWhite; 05-26-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DWhite
Yes, the large bolt that holds the plate to the head. Truthfully, I dont think I torqued the bolts down as it is a button head and uses an allen wrench.
I got an email from FuelMoto and they suggest going back to Ness and getting a bolt from them. I was hoping to find something locally or something quick.
I had to replace the "O" rings on my B/S to correct a oil leak. I called and ordered them and they were shipped quick. I got them in 2-3 days. get a allen wrench that will fit a 3/8" ratchet and use a torque wrench also use blue locktite.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:23 AM
DWhite
Tourer

Question for anyone.

I ordered another bolt from AN. They were great and just sent me one no charge to replace my lost one.

I put my stock air filter back on for now. I have a V&H fuel pak on the bike w/ slip ons. Would I be better off to unhook the fuel pak for now til I have my high flow filter back on? Or will it be no big deal with low flow filter and VH fuel pak? Make sense?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:43 AM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned

I thought he was talking about the bolts (screws?) that hold the backing plate to the throttlebody. He did not specify which bolt he was talking about.