Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Man's Opinion of the Harley Tourers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default One Man's Opinion of the Harley Tourers

I really would like to buy a touring bike and I figured the best bang for the buck was the Ultra. But I was having a hard time digesting the fact that with my 32in inseam, I felt and looked cramped on the bike. Yeah I know I could pay a few hundred bucks for a new seat and probably another 150 or so to move the floor boards forward, but after paying $21,000 for the bike, I found that hard to swallow too. Then I ran across the Road Glide. The shop loaned it to me for a couple of days while my Softail was in the shop. Man, what a sweet ride. The thing seemed to have more torque than my 2010 Heritage, maybe due to the 2 into 1 pipe. That frame mounted fairing really made the bike stable and for some reason, I didn't feel cramped at all. I admit, that I have to reside to the fact that I'll have to cough up the bucks for the new seat but on this bike, that more for the Mrs. than for me. I can live with that. I prefer the look of the dual pipes but that can be fixed two if it starts to bug me that bad. I admit, I haven't actually ridden the Ultra yet, but it's hard to believe it will ride better than the Road Glide. IMO, anybody who is seriously looking at one of the tourers should at least consider this bike. The MOCO really did it right with this one. The only thing they should have done differently is add the tour pak.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 PM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Personally I happy that they designed it without a tour pack, I love the option of adding one with a detachable rack.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:31 PM
CurtisO
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my roadglide. I have a couple of seats. Of course a nice big Ultra seat my wife loves. I added a tour pack. Still in it cheaper than an Ultra and I can convert it to look like I want. Different shields depending on the weather. I also added extended floorboards and extened brake and shifter levers to make my size 13 boots fit. Of course a SERT and cam to bump the power for two up riding. I tried the Ultras and felt very cramped. And I am usually one of the few at bike night witha roadglide.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 PM
FotoDeville
Tourer

I ride a Ultra but am very impressed with the ride of the Road Glide. Last weekend I attended the Demo Days and had the opportunity to ride the road glide around on a 4 lane highway (speed limit 55). It rode smoother than my ultra. I'll admit, my ultra is a '03 and has been lowered for my 28" inseam and I know this adversly affects the ride. But the stock Road Glide didn't seem to sit any higher than my lowered ultra. I love my ultra because it's the silver/black anniversary version but I'm darn tempted to look at the road glide for my next bike.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultra owner……….never ridin' a RG…….but they're growing on me….

………guess I like ugly *** bikes.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

i have a 2010 rg which i love. however, if i was going to buy a stock paint job and bike i would consider looking at a 2009 rg. no cat in the exhaust and it has twin tailpipes for a better look. some are for sale on ebay with a tour pack. i put a 204 cam, pcv and v&h dual exhaust. really woke it up. bike really rides well in the wind. have fun on what ever you decide.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 33" inseam and I know what you mean about the Ultra and that is one of the reasons that I have a Street Glide. I think it's the tour pack that makes it seem cramped. I almost went for the RG but fell for the clean look of the SG. If the RG custom was around in '08 I'd probably be on one.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
Ultra owner……….never ridin' a RG…….but they're growing on me….

………guess I like ugly *** bikes.

........ uh, ... i believe that's pronounced F U G L Y ! ........... Get it right or you'll never be asked to join the club

Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Javawave
Tourer

I have a 32" inseam myself and felt cramped when I first got on it when compared the to the Yamaha Roadstar i had been riding. But after a long day in the saddle you will come to love the more up right position it puts you in. Much easier on the lower back than reaching and leaning. JMO.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Road Glide but don't have the room for two bikes. I don't have the time to put the miles on it either and love the Ultra. But it is sweet. That new red is a great color.

spiz

Quick Reply: One Man's Opinion of the Harley Tourers