Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Man's Opinion of the Harley Tourers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,368 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
i have a 2010 rg which i love. however, if i was going to buy a stock paint job and bike i would consider looking at a 2009 rg. no cat in the exhaust and it has twin tailpipes for a better look. some are for sale on ebay with a tour pack. i put a 204 cam, pcv and v&h dual exhaust. really woke it up. bike really rides well in the wind. have fun on what ever you decide.
i would not let the cat in the headpipe deter one from getting the 2010. there are headpipes available that do away with the cat. twin tailpipes for better look is entirely subjective. i like the way the 2-1 looks.

detachable kits are available to add tourpaks. i don't want to have my tourpak on all the time. only when i need it.

the 18 inch front wheel looks a lot better than the 17 (or 16 for older) wheels. plus, there are more choices for new tires for the 18 than 17.

performance wise, my 10 stock will outrun my 07 with rnehart 2-1 and pc3. i've dropped the cat, added the se nightstick, left the ac stock and love the way the bike runs and sounds. plus i get 45 + mpg. even more on the highway.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
I am confused here.... The frames on all the touring bikes are all the same. The SG and RG are lower than the Classic and the Ultra but that is just shocks. The seats differ that is about it so why would seem like it would have more room than the other sans the seat?
The Road Glide is not lower than the Classic or the Ultra. The Road Glide CUSTOM is, but not the Road Glide.

With the fairing not being right in your face, it makes a big difference on how it feels.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned an 06 EGC and thought it was a great road bike. Suffered many miles of hard cross
and head winds on her
My latest ride is the 09 Roadglide. In the past 9 months I've put 14000 road miles on her
in all kinds of weather and will never go back to the batwing faired bikes.
Here's a pic of the bike on US2 in MN heading home and a map of the states covered in last months trip.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
pab
Tourer

My 2007 EGC is "taller" than my 2010 RGC. The EGC rides smoother, but with a 30" inseam I can't flat foot it. My understanding is the RGC's shocks are a tad bit shorter. As result, it rides a little harsher than the EGC, but I can flat foot the RGC. The RGC feels a little sportier than the EGC, but it also scrapes a foot board a lot sooner than the EGC. The EGC is perfect for my wife & me as a touring bike, and the RGC works for just me & my son. My wife has spoiled the both of us !!!

Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
The Road Glide is not lower than the Classic or the Ultra. The Road Glide CUSTOM is, but not the Road Glide.

With the fairing not being right in your face, it makes a big difference on how it feels.
The custom is the only one in the 2010 lineup that I could see. I knew before 2010 they were on the same shocks as the ultra.

my point being there isn't anymore functional room. From what you are saying it's just a perception thing. That cleared it up because the ergo's are all basically the same across the touring lineup.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned

In 2010 the only RG you could get was the custom. The standard RG was not offered this year (a big mistake IMO, but the bean counters have total control). The fork-mount Batwing is dangerous. I much prefer the the frame-mount RG fairing. A police officer lost his life a few years back because he tried to pass an 18-wheeler at high speed with a Batwing fairing. I ride a standard 2008 RG converted to an Ultra (not by the factory) and love it.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:58 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I have an Ultra because I like riding 2-up a lot with my SO and when I'm on longer trips I have lots of room to carry "stuff" like camera gear, laptops, and such. I admit it's not as stylish and sporty as a RK or SG but it's comfortable and has good performance on the open road. If I wasn't so enamored with having my lady with me I probably wouldn't have gotten the Ultra, but I have no regrets either.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Aslan
Road Master

I know lots of people can't accept the fixed fairing on a Harley. I used to hate the look but the Fugly grew on me.
The only down side to owning an RG is that you stop shopping for the next bike.
I've sat on and ridden the 2010 touring line but the only bike I would want is another RG.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:45 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slowrollin
I really would like to buy a touring bike and I figured the best bang for the buck was the Ultra. But I was having a hard time digesting the fact that with my 32in inseam, I felt and looked cramped on the bike. Yeah I know I could pay a few hundred bucks for a new seat and probably another 150 or so to move the floor boards forward, but after paying $21,000 for the bike, I found that hard to swallow too. Then I ran across the Road Glide. The shop loaned it to me for a couple of days while my Softail was in the shop. Man, what a sweet ride. The thing seemed to have more torque than my 2010 Heritage, maybe due to the 2 into 1 pipe. That frame mounted fairing really made the bike stable and for some reason, I didn't feel cramped at all. I admit, that I have to reside to the fact that I'll have to cough up the bucks for the new seat but on this bike, that more for the Mrs. than for me. I can live with that. I prefer the look of the dual pipes but that can be fixed two if it starts to bug me that bad. I admit, I haven't actually ridden the Ultra yet, but it's hard to believe it will ride better than the Road Glide. IMO, anybody who is seriously looking at one of the tourers should at least consider this bike. The MOCO really did it right with this one. The only thing they should have done differently is add the tour pak.

The Street Glide is the best of both worlds. Sits lower than the other glides and does not have that butt ugly shark nose attached.

ok - just giving you crap.....

The Road Glide is the one love it or hate it touring bike...not too many impartial on it. I could never like the shark nose or dual headlight look...but thats just me.

It is a nice bike..just not for all.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:16 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by simpkinst
The Street Glide is the best of both worlds. Sits lower than the other glides and does not have that butt ugly shark nose attached.

ok - just giving you crap.....

The Road Glide is the one love it or hate it touring bike...not too many impartial on it. I could never like the shark nose or dual headlight look...but thats just me.

It is a nice bike..just not for all.
I have to admit that I felt the same as you when I first decided to buy a Harley. The RG just looked like the odd man out. Somewhere along the way, it started to look okay to me but I still thought the bat wing looked better. Then I saw a couple of Screamin Eagle RG's on the Highway and they looked pretty good. Then I rode a RG and my opinion changed completely. Having a frame mounted fairing does make a huge difference in the handling because the fairing is essentially part of the frame itself. It's as easy to manuever as my Heritage at any speed. I wish the company would come back out with the RG and give us the option of that or the RGC. I really prefer the RG.

Those tour paks and speakers some of you guys have added is a great look!

Quick Reply: One Man's Opinion of the Harley Tourers