Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 PM
bldap
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider Restrictions?

Our 19 year old son passed the Rider's Edge course, passed the written DMV test and is now a licensed motorcycle rider. He rides an 05 Kawasaki Ninja 636. He's a very responsible guy. His first car, which he still owns, is a Mustang 5.0. Has never received a ticket or has ever been stopped for a warning. I'm really excited to now be able to ride with him.

A couple "restrictions" that are currently in place...there will be no two up or night riding (unless I'm riding with him) until he has a couple months worth of riding under his belt. The obvious of wearing the appropriate apparel and since we have a helmet law that's lawfully mandated.

Anyone here place other "restrictions" in place for their kids when they first became motorcyclists?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:12 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree NO passengers and NO night riding.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:12 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

He's 19 and he has restrictions? He's a full adult. He can tell you where to put your restrictions. Time to cut the cords, pop. What kind of restrictions did you have when you went into the army?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
He's 19 and he has restrictions? He's a full adult. He can tell you where to put your restrictions. Time to cut the cords, pop. What kind of restrictions did you have when you went into the army?
+1 My bike and car restrictions went away on my 18th birthday, on the other hand though, I respected a lot of my parents wishes.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:23 PM
powaypete
Road Master

Only restrictions I put on my son were what the state law required and no riding to high school. He has been riding dirt for years and is now on his 2nd year of street riding. He has no restrictions what so ever. He still rides with me on occation, but does ride back and forth to work. He still does not ride to school, but that's his choice.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:25 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

He's a new rider too, guessing since he just got his license. So would be wise to learn to ride a little better before adding weight and movements of the passenger and the unexpected deer, bats, and bugs of the night that come from nowhere. At any age with a new rider.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

My son is now 17 and has had his license for over a year. We both went through the rider safety course ( I have been riding for 35+ years and highly recommend it to anyone that rides) at the local college before he was able to even take the test at the DMV here in Illinois. He actually rode my 93 Softail with us to Sturgis last year. I agree with the NO PASSENGER restrictions. He has this in place as well and I will not allow a passenger until he can comfortably handle the bike with me on the back! If he rides at night it is only in town due to the deer and the critters on the back roads.

Last edited by SpiderPig; 05-25-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
I respectfully disagree as long as he lives under your roof. If he respects his parents there should be nothing wrong with him folllowing your wishes. Having said that, out of sight out of mind, if he so desires he'll do what he wants. Personally I think what you're doing is right.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:49 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I did not set restrictions for my son when he started but I preferred he rode alone untill he put some miles on... I think he respected that..

Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 PM
crackercap
Road Master

here's hoping he'll remember a lot of those values you taught him a long time ago....

Quick Reply: New Rider Restrictions?