Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Its a different ride when your son is haulin down the road with you and my grandson who will be 9 soon is ridin on the back with his dad... grinnin ear to ear!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:09 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's the right thing to do to impress on him that he shouldn't put a passinger's life in jeopardy while his is still in jeopardy for many miles to come. It's a fact that the only thing that will make him a better rider is miles and miles of experiance that comes with time. We can all tell a new rider all about the pit falls and dangers, but note untill they experiance them will they really learn it. Hopefully with some luck will a new rider make thru these tests with lessons learned and no mishaps. Best wishes and remember to have fun.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Advise him, don't restrict him. What are you gonna do if he disobeys your restrictions, ground him?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

A little friendly advice for you, give your son advice and share your wisdom with him. Instead of telling him he can't ride at night or with a passenger, advise him of the reasons he shouldn't ride at night (especially at dusk) or carry a passenger.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

My dad hated motorcycles and all the rat scallions that rode them....RIP Pops...:-)

Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
He's 19 and he has restrictions? He's a full adult. He can tell you where to put your restrictions. Time to cut the cords, pop. What kind of restrictions did you have when you went into the army?
I guess it all depends on his living arrangements. If he's living at home then he might as well be 9.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess I'd add a couple more. No cell phone or texting while riding. I saw a rider last Friday texting while passing!

And, no drinking. especially as a new rider!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup - do what I say not what I do. No riding on motorcycles front or back seat. But then my 23 and 21 y.o. are girls. And I know if they ride I can't actually do anything about it. I just hope they got the message when they were younger. Does this make me a hypocrite? ;-)

Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wow. some of the comments from you guys about cutting cords and such really surprise the hell out me... the man wants his son to learn how to ride, went through the msf class, and tries to protect his son from the most delicate time while being a new rider... i think the term used has been misunderstood. of course his son can do as he wishes being an adult...but me thinks pops is doing right for a new rider. i would also push that he only rides with me for while after. if he raised him right he'll listen and follow pops.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I have to go with Dad here, his house, his rules.

Quick Reply: New Rider Restrictions?