Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK Radio or Biketronics?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010 | 06:26 PM
HD101st
|
Tourer
Default HK Radio or Biketronics?

I just finished my guages and it looks like it about time for a radio now one question is do i take the dive and spend $1,000 for the HD radio or is there something better from biketronics i an worried about rain and water messing up the radio but i want a reliable radio for the buck any pros and cons between the HD model and the Biketronics?

Old 05-25-2010 | 06:30 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member

subscribed... interested as well.

Old 05-25-2010 | 10:08 PM
Robert_W
Tourer

Originally Posted by rushbass
Ditto. That may be next years upgrade.

Bob.

Old 05-25-2010 | 10:15 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior

ummmmm...
which company...
is it biketronics that has all the stuff you need to hook a sony radio in.. and still retain, all your controls?
Id much rather have a sony.. than a factory branded radio any day!!!!

Old 05-25-2010 | 10:19 PM
T-BO 399
Novice

$1000 is a lot of dough. I have been looking at alpine marine units. There are made to bounce and are water and UV protected for only $400 on chrutchfield.com You can even control I Pod through the deck.Hawg wired has the wire connector for your handle bar controls also. I have had alpine in my truck for years and would not change it.

Last edited by T-BO 399; 05-25-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2010 | 10:32 PM
david christopher
Road Master

Got a JVC in mine and wouldnt change it

Attached Thumbnails HK Radio or Biketronics?-img_1390.jpg  
Old 05-25-2010 | 10:39 PM
Jday53
Road Master

I have got a Pioneer head unit in mine with a Hawg wired install kit I love it. Also 6.5" Alpine speakers and a Arc amp

Old 05-25-2010 | 10:42 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Unless you plan to add the HD CB/intercom and/or XM, the Biketronics interface module (or Hawg-Wired's) with a compatible head unit (with features you want) is a better value IMO.

My Biketonics/Sony set-up worked great for 4+ years and was replaced with the HK and CB only because I wanted the CB.

Do a search; there are dozens of Biktetronics threads, including a sticky at the top of the forum on the installation.

Carl

Old 05-25-2010 | 10:45 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by rushbass
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Ditto. That may be next years upgrade.

Bob.
Police model EG's don't have the same interconnect harness as the civilian bikes or the handlebar switches for a plug and play installaton of the BT or HW interface modules that allow use of aftermarket head units with handlebar controls.

BT sells a switch kit and module for police models.

Carl

Old 05-26-2010 | 05:28 AM
Robert_W
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Police model EG's don't have the same interconnect harness as the civilian bikes or the handlebar switches for a plug and play installaton of the BT or HW interface modules that allow use of aftermarket head units with handlebar controls.

BT sells a switch kit and module for police models.

Carl
My bike was converted to the "civilian" wiring harness when I added the cruise control. I now have all the switches for the radio and communications. I do miss the red buttons and switches though. Kind of made it unique. The only clue it was a police bike is the hockey puck saddle bags and the logo on the air cleaner.

Talking with the dealer, he said some new owners don't want the H/K and replace it with an after market radio and speakers. If I can find one at half price I may spring for their "old, unused unit". I have lots of time and in no hurry.

Bob.

Quick Reply: HK Radio or Biketronics?