Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Siren?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 PM
cafedante
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Siren?

Anyone using the smart-siren II system (68328-06A) along with a pager? Just wondering how well the pager works? HD claims signal can be received for up to 1/2 mile.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:34 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the smart siren II and the battery pager. The siren is super easy to install. don't use the directions that come with it, search here for photos and instructions. The siren could be a little louder but overall I am satisfied. Pager has vibrate or beep.

I haven't tried the max range but works well in most cases. Good range outside. Buildings of course are all different so the range will very. At hotels park as close to your room as you can and range should not be an issue.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
bldap
Tourer

Smart siren II is an easy install as mentioned. Loudness is effective but would like to have it beefed up a bit.

I've used the pager only a couple times and didn't have any issues. I will get a room close to the scoot so there hasn't been any signal problems. Believe it's definitely worth the money.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:54 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KW-HD Rider
I have the smart siren II and the battery pager. The siren is super easy to install. don't use the directions that come with it, search here for photos and instructions. The siren could be a little louder but overall I am satisfied. Pager has vibrate or beep.

I haven't tried the max range but works well in most cases. Good range outside. Buildings of course are all different so the range will very. At hotels park as close to your room as you can and range should not be an issue.
Same as above. My only real complaint is the pager loves to eat batteries. But a couple of bucks every month is worth the peace of mind.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Once, shortly after I installed it

my pager was still talking to my bike from the underground of a hotel and I was on the 4th floor. I think that often it depends on surrounding electronic interference and obstacles between you and he bike. 1/2 mile is a 'sales slogan' and rarely is the norm. I think the only real pager to have is the cellular one that comes with the Scorpio alarms. You can even track your bike via gps and see its engine funtions while someone is riding it away.
Oh and one other thing, the alarm isn't very loud. Good luck and remember parking rule #1 Under a light, and in sight.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:20 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cafedante
Anyone using the smart-siren II system (68328-06A) along with a pager? Just wondering how well the pager works? HD claims signal can be received for up to 1/2 mile.
I don't know how well it works with a pager and I have no need for being paged by an alarm but what I know is that my $6 Piezo siren from Radio Shack does pretty much what the Smart Siren II does (with the exception of a back-up battery) for $84 less.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '09 Ultra Classic has a Siren II. I've used the pager but it uses up batteries faster than it's worth. That was another buy that wasn't worth it. The do not buy list is getting longer.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:17 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the siren II and pager. Really like the siren, but don't use the pager much. Range is kind of limited also.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
cafedante
Advanced

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I don't know how well it works with a pager and I have no need for being paged by an alarm but what I know is that my $6 Piezo siren from Radio Shack does pretty much what the Smart Siren II does (with the exception of a back-up battery) for $84 less.
Interesting. How does this hook up to the bike?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:12 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cafedante
Interesting. How does this hook up to the bike?
Very easily. Here is a write-up. If you search the Forum for "Radio Shack siren" you'll find more information and pictures.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a Piezo 12v 120dB siren (102db at 1ft), part number 273-079. Cost: less that 6 bucks!
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062405

Locate the siren connector (Delphi type) under one of your side covers (left side for the 09 Ultra), next to the fuse box. The stock connector for the siren has 3 wires going into it, a brown, a green and a black.
Pull the main fuse of your bike and connect the Piezo alarm to this connector the following way. The Piezo siren has 2 wires, a black and a red.

The red wire plugs into the brown wire of the connector and the black wire plugs into the green wire of the connector. The black wire of the connector isn't used.

Using 2 butt connectors 22-26 gauge from Radio Shack, connect the red wire and the black wire of the siren to 2 straight pieces of regular size paper clips, roughly 3/4" long. You'll end up with bigger and stiffer ends for the siren wires that will be much easier to plug into each connector's hole. The pieces of paper clip are perfect conductors and will fit snugly into the connector. You just have to push them slighly all the way, no need to use brute force.

Once you've plugged the 2 wires into the connector holes, put the main fuse back in and test the system. To do so, turn the ignition on and then off. When your turn signals blink once, you'll hear a chirp. That's a good sign. Take your fob and put it away from your bike, like 30ft. Now, take your bike off the kickstand and hold it straight. After a couple of chirps and a few seconds, the siren will blast. Put the bike back on the kickstand, and go get your fob. When you get close to your bike, the siren will stop automatically
This siren is plenty loud as you will see.

If everything works as described, wrap the connector with electric tape (no need to shrink wrap the wires and butt connectors but if you want to do it, it's your call) and use a small piece of industrial strength velcro or 2 sided tape to attach the siren to your bike, next to the fuse box. You're now done. Put the side cover back on and you're good to go. Took me 20mn to complete the project.

The main difference with the $90 HD siren is that the $6 Piezo siren doesn't have a back up battery. If someone cuts the battery cables to steal your bike, the siren will not work. Is this worth $84? Not for me but you decide.

Quick Reply: Smart Siren?