Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring: Which bike punches the best hole in the air?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Touring: Which bike punches the best hole in the air?

Aside from a radio or personal luxuries, which is better to tour behind, a windshield, a batwing fairing or a Road Glide front end?

I realize there are slight variations in all as far as shield size, but if I'm gonna ride many thousands of miles at a crack by myself, do I want to be on a RG, EG, SG, RK, HS or what? All opinions appreciated! :- )

Tq

Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
artz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have ridden my friends '08 road king with the full windshield and I get alot of wind. My '99 EG standard with an 8" shield (and fairing) lets me catch less air.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
firebrick
Road Warrior

went from a wideglide to an ultra, with a big clark custom windshield i am in a complete bubble up to 75mph. crosswinds change everything though as it gets alot louder with a stiff crosswind.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having owned both a batwing and now a sharknose, my personal preference for protection from the elements would have to be a batwing.

My '07 SG had a Mustang solo seat that moved me back/down, 8" Fastaire shield, and hard lowers. There was hardly any turbulence/buffeting, and I could ride in sub freezing temps and stay warm (proper attire, of course).

I'm still experimenting with my '10 RG. So far I've gone through 3 shields (currently using Windvest 12"), installed hard lowers, and even the fork baffle and I'm still fighting some serious chop.

Now, if you're asking about which LOOKS better, and HANDLES better....RG, hands down, no doubt about it.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Hunter2678
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad and uncle's have been using the batwings since they came out and love them. I just bought mine this yr and love it too...Ive ridden in 30-40+ mph wind gusts and NEVER experienced any of the so called steering/handling issues that some say occur (difficulty driving in windy conditions vs the RG's) just didnt happen for me. I also just prefer the look of the batwing over the RG's too. It boils down to what you can live with at the end of the day really. I also like the dash layout and gauge distance as well on the batwings.

Last edited by Hunter2678; 05-25-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,120 Likes on 22,588 Posts

What do you see yourself riding? Used, new? If you are serious, have the money, and the time you should go to a dealership and rent one of which you could see yourself riding and at the days end take good notes, and at the end of your testing phase, decide on 2 models and then start looking. After all it's your $ and you're the one whose going to be riding what ever model you choose, and you need to sell yourself based on your own criteria, not ours. Right now it is a good time to sell as most sellers will get the top price for their bikes because of the season. Then again there are motivated sellers due to what ever reason as well. Don't expect a great deal from a dealership either due to it being riding season. Happy hunting..

Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
NYBagger92
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

went from Sportys, and Softails to an ElectraGlide Ultra. The Ultra with a full shield, or my new 7" is amazing. Buffeting has been mentioned... cross winds yes... straight into headwinds, or with a tailwind this scoot is awesome. if you match a windshield to your height, and have the sidewings... you should be very happy. I notice that I am less tired at the end of a 500+ mile day on the EG than I was on open face bikes, and the FLSTC with windshield.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:16 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
Having owned both a batwing and now a sharknose, my personal preference for protection from the elements would have to be a batwing.

My '07 SG had a Mustang solo seat that moved me back/down, 8" Fastaire shield, and hard lowers. There was hardly any turbulence/buffeting, and I could ride in sub freezing temps and stay warm (proper attire, of course).

I'm still experimenting with my '10 RG. So far I've gone through 3 shields (currently using Windvest 12"), installed hard lowers, and even the fork baffle and I'm still fighting some serious chop.

Now, if you're asking about which LOOKS better, and HANDLES better....SG, hands down, no doubt about it.

fixed

Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
audettd
Tourer

I like the idea of renting...I've rode a few and found the EGC the best for me..but we are all different riders. The newer touring bikes handle like sport bikes IMO (course they weight a lot more). Take your time and find what's right for you

Old 05-25-2010, 01:27 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lionsm13
What do you see yourself riding? Used, new? If you are serious, have the money, and the time you should go to a dealership and rent one of which you could see yourself riding and at the days end take good notes, and at the end of your testing phase, decide on 2 models and then start looking. After all it's your $ and you're the one whose going to be riding what ever model you choose, and you need to sell yourself based on your own criteria, not ours. Right now it is a good time to sell as most sellers will get the top price for their bikes because of the season. Then again there are motivated sellers due to what ever reason as well. Don't expect a great deal from a dealership either due to it being riding season. Happy hunting..
Yep, go rent a couple of them and see for yourself. I've heard RG from some and UC/EG from others, probably just boils down to personal preference. No way to tell unless you're in the saddle.

Quick Reply: Touring: Which bike punches the best hole in the air?