Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring: Which bike punches the best hole in the air?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
Thanks everybody. The reason I ask this is that I have friends who tour on their Road Kings with the big shields. Another person at work puts four or five hundred miles on her Heritage at the blink of an eye.

I've never considered a bike with only a windshield -- thought they were a bit dated. Is there anyone here who does big miles behind a windshield?

And FWIW, this place has to be the best bike Site going. I've gotten so much information since I showed up, and being 64 and having bought my first bike when I was 16, I'm really grateful for the information...
You can tour on any bike, from Sporty to Ultra..but how much comfort do you want and what accessories do you want. Me, I woun't have a bike without stereo and cruise, but that's me...I also pull a Bushtec trailer when touring, again that's what I like....
You can go across country in a VW but if a Caddie is avialable why not take the big car?
That's why they make all kinds, choices-choices...gotta love it.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
Having owned both a batwing and now a sharknose, my personal preference for protection from the elements would have to be a batwing.

My '07 SG had a Mustang solo seat that moved me back/down, 8" Fastaire shield, and hard lowers. There was hardly any turbulence/buffeting, and I could ride in sub freezing temps and stay warm (proper attire, of course).

I'm still experimenting with my '10 RG. So far I've gone through 3 shields (currently using Windvest 12"), installed hard lowers, and even the fork baffle and I'm still fighting some serious chop.

Now, if you're asking about which LOOKS better, and HANDLES better....RG, hands down, no doubt about it.

+1 on all...

lp

Old 05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My FLHS had a windshield like a later RK when I bought it new. I quickly came to hate it! At quite ordinary speeds it caused oscillations in the steering and in high winds of any sort made life uncomfortable. Eventually fitted an old batwing and it has been on there ever since. I have my own windshield shape to improve comfort round our helmets and that suits us very well.

Having also owned bikes with frame-mounted fairings I agree they should be better, but those RG fairings do NOT do it for me! I have ridden through Germany at high speeds with various BMW tourers and watched as they get blown around, from the comfort of my stable old Glide.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks everybody. The reason I ask this is that I have friends who tour on their Road Kings with the big shields. Another person at work puts four or five hundred miles on her Heritage at the blink of an eye.

I've never considered a bike with only a windshield -- thought they were a bit dated. Is there anyone here who does big miles behind a windshield?

And FWIW, this place has to be the best bike Site going. I've gotten so much information since I showed up, and being 64 and having bought my first bike when I was 16, I'm really grateful for the information...
I put a lot of miles on my RK with just a standard windshield. I thought it was just fine for traveling. At first I put the batwing on my bike for the looks, but found it does provide a bit more wind protection. However, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go on a long trip behind a RK windshield.

There's quite a few members here with more than a few miles underneath them. I got my first mc endorsement back in 1969. (I don't count the years before I was street legal). Been riding ever since.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had windshields and a batwing, and the batwing wins hands down. Can't speak to the RG fairing- never been on one.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks everyone for the good info. I see a Street Glide in my future...

Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 PM
NYBagger92
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice choice.
you will not regret it at all.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:22 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I think you're making a good choice for your needs. I love riding my buddies RG in the twisties but I'll take a batwing on the highway.