Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring: Which bike punches the best hole in the air?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:41 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

A Batwing in high winds is a handful, much more so than a bike without a fairing. Coming back from Bristol 2 weeks ago, we had to deal with 30-40 mph winds, and it was exhausting. With that said, on reasonably calm days it's a pleasure to ride long distances. I came back from Indiana two days ago (660-ish miles), and could have easily gone farther. With a 10" Windvest and the lowers on, even in torrential downpours I'm well protected.

I have no personal experience with the Road Glide, but I've heard that they're more stable in high winds, but allow more wind and buffeting to reach the rider.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:42 PM
saw*me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any faring on the front of a bike will accelerate the wind that hits it. The wind that hits you will feel more intense than riding with just a set of bars and a headlight in front of you. I prefer the Road Glide but that's just me. As the others have said you have to get on a bike before you'll know, and even then remember that a windshield change, lowers and even the right helmet and seat changes everything. Too me there are more things to consider Handling is a big one and not to say that the RG is better it's just different. Now that that's out of the way buy a Road Glide !! Best damn bike Harley makes!

Tom

Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter2678
Ive ridden in 30-40+ mph wind gusts and NEVER experienced any of the so called steering/handling issues that some say occur (difficulty driving in windy conditions vs the RG's) just didnt happen for me..
I haven't had issues with that either. The only time the wind seems to grab the bars a bit is when I am around certain semis. Nothing worse than my last bike with the shield on it though.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:55 PM
ezglider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technically, the Road Glide's frame mounted fairing takes most of the wind which should reduce any type of fatigue your arms might experience on a long ride. I've had a Road Glide for a few years now and couldn't imagine another bike for me. That said, I've never done any long distance trips with the other touring bikes so I can only speak about my experience with the RG. A couple of the guys I ride with have Street Glides and I've never once heard them complain about tired arms or anything else after a long ride. I agree with the the bottom line which is it boils down to your preference as all the touring bikes will treat you well going the distance.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
My '07 SG had a Mustang solo seat that moved me back/down, 8" Fastaire shield, and hard lowers. There was hardly any turbulence/buffeting, and I could ride in sub freezing temps and stay warm (proper attire, of course).
+1 Finding the right windshield is key. I've got the 8" Clearview with recurve, and I've ridden in temps well below freezing. Last December on our toy ride, I was riding in temps around 15* comfortably. (Santa suit over my leathers, lol).

There's always going to be a little wind. Over, under, around, whatever. You can't get rid of it all, nor do you want to. (Otherwise, we'd be in a cage, right?). I remember a time not all that long ago when I wouldn't have been seen behind a windshield of any kind.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:25 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

...... it seems commonsensical that having having oncoming air initially impact frame mounted surfaces would result in less effort being required of the rider to control the machine during an extended riding period. I've found my RG to be extraordinarily stable at speed and w/the cruise control, nearly effortless to operate on longer rides.

..... everyone's preference is different, ... test each ......... afterwards, you'll want a Road Glide.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I've owned several batwing bikes, now ride a 2010 Road Glide....all this being said I don't think there's a nickles worth of difference. Either one will provide adequate protection from the elements....but....

If I were buying a new bike for long distance touring I would get the Ultra. The UC comes with all you'll need for touring, lowers, trunk, large saddle, CB radio, passenger comfort, passenger audio controls, etc...to me it's a better buy.
I like my RG and I have it set up for me with CB, trunk, lowers...but I had to buy all that extra. If you figure in the price of all the goodies you want for touring ( not so much need, but want) then it's a wash as for price.

Your choice, like most have stated rent both and make your choice..we can't make that one for you.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:46 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks everybody. The reason I ask this is that I have friends who tour on their Road Kings with the big shields. Another person at work puts four or five hundred miles on her Heritage at the blink of an eye.

I've never considered a bike with only a windshield -- thought they were a bit dated. Is there anyone here who does big miles behind a windshield?

And FWIW, this place has to be the best bike Site going. I've gotten so much information since I showed up, and being 64 and having bought my first bike when I was 16, I'm really grateful for the information...

Old 05-25-2010, 02:51 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To my knowlege when Harley started th design on the RoadGlide they did the testing
in a wind tunnel during the manufacture process not afterward,so with that being said I would say that the RoadGlide will do you right.When I bought my first one (1998) I was surprised by the improved handling over the other models at Highway speeds. Good Luck!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 PM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a aftermarket batwing on my King.I will not take it off now,so much better than the standard windshield that came on it.

Quick Reply: Touring: Which bike punches the best hole in the air?