Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Information on Torx Screws

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
Some folks just pass on info they have received before checking verification of said info.... Live and learn...Don't ever believe anything you hear or read or see...
Kinda like the posters that have all the info on a problem but never really read fully or comprehended the original thread starters real problem.. Every time I see people giving answers that really dont come close to the problem at hand I just have to leave.. That **** drives me crazy...

That said what about those allen screws ..

Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad I didn't sleep at that Holiday Inn,heeheehee....

Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Damascus
Road Captain
Default SOB got me too!

Put off the project waiting for a Torx Plus T27 bit which will be here Thursday that I apparently don't need???!!!

I suggest the OP offer to purchase all the Torx Plus T27 bits and full-on sets we all purchased, and then go post his misinformation on another Harley forum and re-sell them there.

If you don't know the answer, don't post!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM
DamnFool
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time i remove a torx screw, i replace it with something that isnt so damn irritating.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Best advice I received on dealing with Torx came from Joe on the Dyna Forum. I've used it and can vouch for its value...

Before trying to break loose any tight Torx, I place a suitable punch (small enough to fit inside of the splines) inside the head of the fastener, and give the punch a solid shot with a hammer...after a healthy blast this way, the fasteners always seem to come right out, with almost no "break-loose" feel. FWIW.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Damascus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
Best advice I received on dealing with Torx came from Joe on the Dyna Forum. I've used it and can vouch for its value...

Before trying to break loose any tight Torx, I place a suitable punch (small enough to fit inside of the splines) inside the head of the fastener, and give the punch a solid shot with a hammer...after a healthy blast this way, the fasteners always seem to come right out, with almost no "break-loose" feel. FWIW.
I appreciate that, and I appreciate that theoretically freaking Torx bolts allow for more torque, but in some 40 years of wrenching OK for a mostly mechanical kind of guy - albeit not professionally like some of you guys - I haven't met an Allen head bolt I didn't like. Straight and simple.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
The only torx + bolt Harley uses is on the fork pinch bolts on a dyna (T45+). I was in the Harley training school in Pennsylvania getting certified and our instructor (Jack) made it clear about it. It was the first time i'd ever heard of a torx +. The torx bits are rounded on the ends whereas the torx plus bits are flat.
Must be older Dyna's, my 10 FXDC forks are all hex

Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad I missed that thread.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:20 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you guys would just use a set of torq's bits with the 3/8 drive sockets on the end and a proper length ratchet you wouldn't be stripping those bolts. I've used socket torq's for 20 years and never once had a striped bolt head.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hade my share of problems with all fasteners, just replace damaged units and be more careful in the future. Snap-On tools, expensive and money well spent. Lucky is the bastard that has nothing but.

Quick Reply: Bad Information on Torx Screws