Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable fairing or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:44 AM
kmcfadde
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable fairing or not?

I’m looking for some info from guys with detachable fairings on their Road Kings. I am in the market for a bike and my plan was to get a Road King and add a detachable fairing (with tunes) and go for a Street Glide look. I have thought of just getting a Street Glide, but I want to be able to remove the fairing to go for the cruiser look.
Here is my question. For those that have added a detachable fairing, how often do you really take it off? Most people I take to say that once you have the fairing on and the tunes, you'll never really want to ride without it. I know the finally say will be mine, but just wanted to get some advice.
Thanks!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I don't have a detachable one but I switched from a std bike to one with a faring. The tunes are nice but for me not as nice as all the gauges being up in your line of site more than looking down at the tank all the time.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 AM
blight
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got rid of an 07 RK that had a Dead Center fairing on it. Like you I envisioned switching often between the fairing and the RK look. Bottem line... I never took it off. Everyone I know who has one is the same. One of the many reasons I just grabbed a new Ultra. If I had it to do over again I would have just picked up an SG.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Blue Duck
Road Master

I have a DeadCenter on my RKC as you can see in my pic. I do take it off from time to time when riding local. I like the stripped down look at times, plus the bike is a lot lighter when the fairing and tourpak come off. I went with the DeadCenter because it was quick detach and high quality. Sometimes I put the windshield on and my back rest and rack just to change the look.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:26 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master

I take mine off every so often. Mine is a Woody's. easy to take off, quick disconnect electrical....takes all of 5 minutes.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine has only been off once. Just buy the street glide........

Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 AM
kmcfadde
6th Gear

Thanks for the info everyone. Keep it coming. Pictures with the fairings on \ off would be great as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
roadking531
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine only comes off to clean underneath. Buy the street glide.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

I've got an RKC and an Ultra. If I could only have one bike, I would buy a street glide or an ultra and make it into a street glide most of the time. I miss the tunes when I am on the king.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a Dragonfly fairing on my bike. I take it off from time to time, mostly in July and August when I want to go stripped down. It only about 5 minutes or so to get it off, a little longer to put it back on.

Quick Reply: Detachable fairing or not?