Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Layed down today

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Koop
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Layed down today

Hi gang
I went out for short ride today It felt good. Unfortunately I had an encounter with a manhole cover! I was turning onto main street when the front of the bike just slid out from under me & before I knew it I was laying underneith of it. The only thing I seen was a manhole cover in the middle of the street. Didnt see it before, but I can tell you its there now. Thankfully there are still good people in this town & many of them stopped to check on me & help me stand her back up.I feel like an idiot. I'm ok, just a sore leg & a bruised ego, but my baby's got a bent crash bar & a few scratches. Anybody else ever have a prb with manhole covers ?And how did you get over it ? So far alcohol isnt wrking.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is that I'm glad you're okay. Bike can be repaired but your ego on the other hand???? lol

Old 05-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you were not hurt. The bike can be fixed. I had a simular thing happen to me some years back. 2 friends and I stopped at a bar to have a beer. It came a shower while we were inside. we came out, dried our seats off and left. The first stop light we came to I didn't realize..or forgot how slick it was where cars stopped. When I give it the gas to takeoff, down I went! Nothing hurt but my ego and a few scratches on the bike.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're OK. Your ego will mend and your bike can be fixed.

Manhole covers, railroad tracks, cattle guards, etc. -- all will have less traction/friction with the tires. Even that thick paint used for lines can cause a fall. Tar "snakes", especially when hot. This list can go on and on. You just have to watch and be careful. It ain't as easy as four wheels. It's a little dangerous out there on two wheels -- but this is one of the reasons we do it.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 PM
lilbruce
Road Master

Glad your ok man and yes I bet that was a trick when you saw that thing... You learn new things every day thats on the road...

Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch! Nothing good to offer here except that you kinda need to avoid getting your bike on top of crap like that while you're in a turn and/or accelerating or braking - but you already know that.

Last edited by davessworks; 05-23-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Enforcer419
Cruiser

Glad to hear you are ok. Like everyone else has said, ego will heal and bike can be fixed. Was coming out of a gas station one night and there was no lights at the end of the drive way. Went to turn and the bike kept going straight for a couple seconds and then the front tire grabbed. Caught me off guard, but kept her up.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 AM
jokenighttrain
Cruiser

Glad you're OK Coop. Embarassment goes away quickly, parts are replaced, but memory is forever or at least until ya get Alzhiemer's. I did the same thing on a rock I didn't see as I pulled out into an intersection during rush hours after a car let me in - instant down - picked up the rock and flung it (little harder with a manhole)! Now I know...

Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I can help…….

I have a "take-off" stock engine guard (HD part # 49184-97)

I believe it fits 97-up FLHT FLHTC, FLHTCUI, FLHR and all fuel injection.

Has some scratches where highway pegs were mounted otherwise very nice….

…..let me know if you would like to work something out…..I don't need much for it.

Glad you're OK!!!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was turning into my Indy's driveway and didn't notice the "sail kitty" that had been run over til my frontend tried to go east as i was turning west. Got lucky and kept it up but pay alot more attention to whats in the road when i turn.

Quick Reply: Layed down today