Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried out a Boyesen X-Wing Today ,,Happy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:32 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Bigheadted is because I have a big friggin head !! I killed my Momma at birth because I got stuck and they had to hack me out of her. Hahaha Seriously my head is physically big.Simple as that.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,904 Likes on 19,365 Posts

And this you say after having positive results on two strokes? Your two stroke dirt bike engine isn't any different than the two stroke in a snowmobile ... I agree and a two stroke reed valve ( block ) assy is far different from the X-Wing ... Comparing the two is akin to comparing apples to oranges. Obviously we are diametrically opposed in our impressions/interpretations of the product.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:44 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Just curious, have you ever seen a review from these mags where it says "this thing is a piece of junk, dont bother"?
Well since you ask... YES.. MXA (MotocrossAction) are well known for their unbiased testing and have been for probably 30 years. They have a core crew that has been there for about that long and they call it like they see it. One of the only Bike Mags I know of that do on a consistent basis.
It was interesting to see that they have a number of Harley's in their garages (although not surprising as they are motorcyclists) and that they went to the effort to install them on their personal bikes.

They also gave a decent laymans explanation of Laminar flow and how this is beneficial. They also mention increasing velocity, I don't think anyone disputes that this is beneficial and when you insert an object in the inlet IT IS going to increase velocity around it.. now if it increases flow and maintains that velocity into the the combustion chamber is debatable. However just downstream of this point is where fuel is being introduced and it would be hard to convince me that increased velocity does not result in better atomization... it is certainly not going to hurt it.

No need to bash anyone over being a Master Mechanic or not.. One could very well be a master mechanic and be wonderful at bolting "The Mechanical Parts" together and only average at understanding flow and fluid dynamics.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by motolocopat
Well since you ask... YES.. MXA (MotocrossAction) are well known for their unbiased testing and have been for probably 30 years. They have a core crew that has been there for about that long and they call it like they see it. One of the only Bike Mags I know of that do on a consistent basis.
It was interesting to see that they have a number of Harley's in their garages (although not surprising as they are motorcyclists) and that they went to the effort to install them on their personal bikes.

They also gave a decent laymans explanation of Laminar flow and how this is beneficial. They also mention increasing velocity, I don't think anyone disputes that this is beneficial and when you insert an object in the inlet IT IS going to increase velocity around it.. now if it increases flow and maintains that velocity into the the combustion chamber is debatable. However just downstream of this point is where fuel is being introduced and it would be hard to convince me that increased velocity does not result in better atomization... it is certainly not going to hurt it.

No need to bash anyone over being a Master Mechanic or not.. One could very well be a master mechanic and be wonderful at bolting "The Mechanical Parts" together and only average at understanding flow and fluid dynamics.
+1 MXA doesn't hesitate to give a thumbs down on products that don't work or aren't worth the money. Also, getting twisted up about the opinion of a mechanic that's never tried the product and is arguing with dyno charts is a waste of time. Not many compressible fluid flow courses in any Master Mechanic curriculum that I've seen.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:09 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by motolocopat

To me, being a master means you diagnose, then repair or replace, not change parts until you get lucky at the customer's expense. I've also found if you talk enough with the customer, they will tell you what's wrong, even if they don't know that they did. I learned this by getting pilots to give me torques, temps, pitch, attitude, altitude, duration, etc. Then, my knowing and understanding what the machine is supposed to do, and not do, in a given situation. Helicopters can be a real pita-- same with cars and motorcycles.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:31 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts

I've been on the dirt bike forums and following this and the results are that it is definitely beneficial ... sort of. The benefits of the X-Wing diminish as the throttle plate opens. This is according to the dyno charts I saw and it was plotted by throttle position and not engine RPM as is normal. Yes you can find more horsepower, but it won't be at the peak. So when discussing a dirt bike, my argument always is that, I still have as much on tap as the next guy, it's just that I have to twist the wrist a bit more to get it. In the last 25% of throttle opening all things return to equal. So I do believe that the throttle can be more responsive at idle, but like most, I don't ride there. Even if I ride at 10% throttle opening vs. the X-Wing rider that runs at 9.5%, it's really negligible in the overall scope. When the benefit comes in throttle opening and not an actual change in the torque or horsepower curves, about all it can affect is how the bike rides for you. Even the state of tune will make a difference in this case. A proper tune vs a \bad tune will see differing returns from the device.

It's no doubt that the part does something and for some it may be the best thing since the invention of EFI, I don't know. What I do know is that in the dirt, no one is faster with one, than without. That includes MX, EnduroCross, Enduro, trials, you name it. There are better gains to be had in both rideability and power elsewhere, but if it works for you, then great! Your purchase was worth it. I believe however, that returns will vary by bike and rider, and that has bee proven to my satisfaction.

Last edited by harkon; 02-19-2016 at 05:33 PM.