Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried out a Boyesen X-Wing Today ,,Happy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 11-05-2015, 04:02 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

Why aren't these gadgets on every high performance car when it comes from the factory? When the sticker price starts at $65,000+ and goes to $half million the $100 price shouldn't be a factor. Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, Lamborghinis and Ferraris all going for bragging rights this would seem to be a "no brainer" if it only made a significant contribution. I notice nothing on the option sheets for magnets on the fuel lines to align the fuel atoms before they go through the injectors either. Must be a reason.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:07 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
Hey unc: I too am a master and an A&P, and also own my own shop, and am also 67. I can't speak to the performance of this X-wing thing, but I will say that, over the years, Boyesen had made some damn good products. It may be snake oil, but until I know for a fact that it is snake oil, I'll save my opinion. Just sayin!
Nice post. Tactful. Just sayin!

My biggest surprise is that Uncle Larry is from Michigan, a state that gets a lot more snow than Minnesnowta, so they definitely know what snowmobiles are, and yet he questions a product from Boyesen. And if I remember my geography right, Michigan has a couple of big water lakes on three sides, and Boyesen is also well known in the outboard engine world as well.

But then again, a Harley is a four stroke. Maybe Boyesen's knowlege is limited to two strokes...and I only imagined the instant increase in throttle response the first time I started my TC88 after installing the X Wing.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:28 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by btsom
Why aren't these gadgets on every high performance car when it comes from the factory? When the sticker price starts at $65,000+ and goes to $half million the $100 price shouldn't be a factor. Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, Lamborghinis and Ferraris all going for bragging rights this would seem to be a "no brainer" if it only made a significant contribution. I notice nothing on the option sheets for magnets on the fuel lines to align the fuel atoms before they go through the injectors either. Must be a reason.
Why aren't headers and flow through mufflers on all those cars?

Why aren't Big Suckers and Stage One downloads on factory Harleys? Ever heard of decibels? That's why your air cleaner on a stock bike is enclosed.

Or cat free headers? Or performance cams? Why doesn't your bike come with 10.5 to 1 pistons from the factory like performance cars used to? Why is our maximum gas octane at 93, when we used to have 100 leaded at the pump?

I have to run aviation fuel in my '75 Trident to keep it from knocking on "modern" gas.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:35 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
BMW uses the same principle "from the factory" on their M5 V8 and V10 engine.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I dont see the boyesen techniques at work here. Please explain.

Originally Posted by massparanoia
BMW uses the same principle "from the factory" on their M5 V8 and V10 engine.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,906 Likes on 19,366 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Uncle Larry we must see some things from a different perspective, On this subject of the X wing you and others totally discount some folks experience who have actually used this device. Some of us try to give an honest opinion of things we have used. You totally disrespect this. Snake oil you say.

Close minded folks said the same thing about electronic ignitions, MSDs and Unilites in the 70s and 80s. Boy were they wrong and my Pontiac sure showed them tail lights.

I may see you as as some part changing "master mechanic" old fart with your close minded opinions from your self appointed lofty seat, insulting folks because you think you are better because you had a shop and the title of "master". I hope I am wrong. ( I never stated that I was better than anyone else and once again you have made an error in your comprehension )

Childish I may be be but just how do you write the raspberry sound???
Ride safe when the winter goes away. See you on the forums !!
Now I understand why you call yourself "Bighead" ... inflated? You're the only one who's input carries any clout? Right. I ( and others who are in the same camp as me ) stand by what I initially wrote. You disagree yet offer no difinitive proof to the contrary. You do remember what the topic was when this started , correct? Continue to make snide remarks as to my character and abilities if you must. That's the only retaliatory method that works for you, I guess.

My biggest surprise is that Uncle Larry is from Michigan, a state that gets a lot more snow than Minnesnowta, so they definitely know what snowmobiles are, and yet he questions a product from Boyesen. And if I remember my geography right, Michigan has a couple of big water lakes on three sides, and Boyesen is also well known in the outboard engine world as well.

But then again, a Harley is a four stroke. Maybe Boyesen's knowlege is limited to two strokes...and I only imagined the instant increase in throttle response the first time I started my TC88 after installing the X Wing.[/QUOTE]

I have used Boyesen Reeds on two strokes in the past with positive results. I've ridden dirt bikes for years, never got into the snowmobiles though.

This X-Wing and other products of the like come and go with the times and have never endured because? Because, as I stated earlier, there no discernible positive results to be garnered.

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 11-05-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:15 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Uncle Larry we must see some things from a different perspective, On this subject of the X wing you and others totally discount some folks experience who have actually used this device. Some of us try to give an honest opinion of things we have used. You totally disrespect this. Snake oil you say.

Close minded folks said the same thing about electronic ignitions, MSDs and Unilites in the 70s and 80s. Boy were they wrong and my Pontiac sure showed them tail lights.

I may see you as as some part changing "master mechanic" old fart with your close minded opinions from your self appointed lofty seat, insulting folks because you think you are better because you had a shop and the title of "master". I hope I am wrong.

Childish I may be be but just how do you write the raspberry sound???

Ride safe when the winter goes away. See you on the forums !!
im just not getting how someone who has never tried a particular performance part calls the part snake oil and has never tired it and dosnt believe anybody who has tired it with positive results. kind of mind boggling. yes. i call that close minded.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:24 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Now I understand why you call yourself "Bighead" ... inflated? You're the only one who's input carries any clout? Right. I ( and others who are in the same camp as me ) stand by what I initially wrote. You disagree yet offer no difinitive proof to the contrary. You do remember what the topic was when this started , correct? Continue to make snide remarks as to my character and abilities if you must. That's the only retaliatory method that works for you, I guess.

But then again, a Harley is a four stroke. Maybe Boyesen's knowlege is limited to two strokes...and I only imagined the instant increase in throttle response the first time I started my TC88 after installing the X Wing.
I have used Boyesen Reeds on two strokes in the past with positive results. I've ridden dirt bikes for years, never got into the snowmobiles though.

This X-Wing and other products of the like come and go with the times and have never endured because? Because, as I stated earlier, there no discernible positive results to be garnered. [/QUOTE]

No positive results? Are you too fuc*in' stupid to click on a link that others have researched for your benefit and READ WHAT IT SAYS? And this you say after having positive results on two strokes? Your two stroke dirt bike engine isn't any different than the two stroke in a snowmobile.

No positive results? Such as:

"The fuel-injected Dyna's baseline run produced 59.76hp and 67.82 lb-ft of torque. After installing the X-Wing, the power increased to 61.26hp, a difference of 1.5 hp, but the torque went up to 71.90 lb-ft, an increase of 4.08 lb-ft. Also, we took the bike out for a spin before and after the product was installed, and we could definitely feel a difference in throttle response, especially in the low to mid rpm range. The carbureted Dyna gained 1.11hp and 1.41 lb-ft of torque, but the bike was equipped with performance pipes and a Screamin' Eagle air filter. So, even though we noticed a better number on the bone stock fuel-injected Dyna, we still saw an increase for the carbureted Dyna. Quick, easy, and cheap; what else could you ask for?"

You can lead a jack *** to a water trough, but sometimes you just have to watch them drown.

Gulp, gulp, gulp....

Attached Thumbnails Tried out a Boyesen X-Wing Today ,,Happy!-digging-a-hole-you-can-t-get-out-of.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 11-05-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:06 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I dont see the boyesen techniques at work here. Please explain.
Perhaps the CV performance product is more in line with this, but in layman's terms you're "straightening out" the turbulent air that has just come through the air cleaner/filter before it enters the carb/throttle body.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack

Last edited by massparanoia; 11-05-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Tried out a Boyesen X-Wing Today ,,Happy!