Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried out a Boyesen X-Wing Today ,,Happy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,903 Likes on 19,364 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Really ?? You do not suppose that an area in the throat of the throttle body would be a turbulent area with swirling and multi directional disturbed air ?? Maybe the oil vapors from the vent tubes would swirl outside the throat of the throttle body, collect and eventually drip ? You do not think that perhaps with the introduction of a device that helps straighten the airflow out would also minimize the collection of oil vapor on the outer areas of the throttle body and thus stop dripping ???? You think there is no way or no how eh Uncle ?? Well you have a pretty good chance being wrong.
I stand a real good chance of being 100% correct ... As is stated by many in this thread and many others like it ... this is a bunch of snake oil and there is no scientific data to support it. Been turning wrenches ( ASE Certified Master ) and racing for more years than I care to remember and this "crap" surfaces every so often. You can "theorize" all you want but it's just conjecture, plain and simple.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:56 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Amen...save your money for beer, wild women, and chrome.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:01 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

What happens to that smooth flowing air right after it passes the throttle plate? It turns a corner which will induce some turbulence. Then it goes through the intake port, either polished or factory casting and slams into the intake valve. What happens to that smooth flow when is forced around a more or less flat plate and squeezed between the edge of the valve and the valve seat? Rest assured that full turbulence has been restored. If the goal is complete combustion a little turbulence should help mix up the burning and unburned mixture for more rapid and complete burning. How many racing vehicles, 2 wheeled, 4 wheeled or even reciprocating engine airplanes use these gadgets where thousands of dollars of prize money is on the line? Does NASCAR have a rule against using them as unfair competitive advantage? I doubt it. Especially in a machine with significant vibration, will the extra mass on the throttle shaft increase the rate of wear in the throttle shaft support and lead to unfiltered air leaks? At least with fuel injection a throttle shaft air leak won't throw off the mixture until the leak becomes severe.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:10 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I had a Boysen on my "12 RGU for 12000 mi. I keep track of fuel mileage at each fill up. I noticed no noticeable power increase and no difference in fuel mileage on my bike. On a different bike under different situations there may be some improvement but not for me. When I traded the RGU in the Boysen was still on it. I will not spend money on another.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:57 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Maybe all we need to do is to install a set of the Pulstar spark plugs along with the X-wing. Surely that's bound to work and give us all at least 15 more usable horsepower and torque! It says so on the Internet. Really!

Old 11-03-2015, 11:06 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Growing up in the north country, Boyesen was well known for making two stroke snowmobiles run a lot better. I read a review in the free mag that is given out at Harley dealers, about their X wing made for Harleys.

The most noticeable difference, a difference that I detected immediately as soon as I started the bike after installation, is that it gave me instant throttle response when "blipping" the throttle. Other than that, I detected no other difference in the "seat of the pants" dyno.

However, Boyesen also makes intakes, that were checked out in American Iron, with pretty good gains. The X wing is an integral part of their intake.

http://www.aimag.com/2014/10/hi-po-t...ower-x-intake/

Last edited by MNPGRider; 11-03-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I have used the wing on my 2011 RGU with Andrews cams, noticed that it removed the basterdising intake noise from the overlap of cams, performance was improved. Snake oil? Open for interpitation.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:56 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Boyesen products are legit. Anyone who calls them snake oil is mistaken.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

When I used to run 2 stroke dirt bikes the Boyesen reed valves were very popular.

They kept pressure from backing up in the intake system. It would only flow one way, towards the engine.

Biggest difference noticed what the more instantaneous reaction to opening the throttle. Climbing a hill, at lower revs make more power than without the reeds.

This is a different system, but the theory is solid that it should make a quicker responding bike.

It was not about the additional horsepower, but the elimination of bogging when opening the throttle at lower revs.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:25 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I stand a real good chance of being 100% correct ... As is stated by many in this thread and many others like it ... this is a bunch of snake oil and there is no scientific data to support it. Been turning wrenches ( ASE Certified Master ) and racing for more years than I care to remember and this "crap" surfaces every so often. You can "theorize" all you want but it's just conjecture, plain and simple.
you are incorrect sir. it does work. i have raced for most of my life also and at one point on a pro level. does it produce fire beathing hp? no. does it claim to do what the engineer Eyvind Boyesen says it does? yes. Dyno dosnt lie. Plus. Every product ive used by this company over the years has worked and i never for a second thought his products were snake oil. He is the inventor of the reed valve. Are you saying a reed valve is snake oil also? But hey to each his own. Drop 3 grand on a stage 2 for 10 hp. its your deal.

Quick Reply: Tried out a Boyesen X-Wing Today ,,Happy!