Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:56 PM
jmroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

picked up my first harley and touring bike, 07 road glide in early october, sadly not many good looking days for riding from here on in the metro dc area so i cant wait for spring

Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had Sportster, Dyna, a couple of softails and on Oct 16 2012 got my first Road King Classic. I Love it! I even had a Harley 125 or 165 (cant remember which it was) back in the mid 60's.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM
killerrgu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's a lot of new people with there first touring bike.
My 2012 road glide ultra is a wobbler. not good with a new rider.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
rc4fan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just bought my first touring bike. It's a loaded 2013 midnight pearl SG. I love the bike and the mods have already began!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 AM
ontwowheels77
Intermediate

First came the Sporty back in 77, many metric cruisers in between, and have been saddled upon a Road King Classic since Sep 2012. Lovin' it....

Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 AM
sweetpea123
Stage III
Question Just purchased a 2004 electraglide classic

I had been riding a Kawasaki Vulcan with all these extras, it was a fun Bike. But doesn't compare to this Bagger. Did not get a service manual with it so I have many Questions. For instance after reading the forums, about oil change, some folks say 3.5 quarts of oil, some say 4. Need to no. I purchased this Bike with 10,032 miles on it. I want the oil changed so I will no. Next I will get to the Tranny and other parts. Here where I live the Dealership wants $200.00 for an oil change. I have been Riding one kind or another Motorcycle since I was 13. Started on Dirt Bikes, I am mechanicly inclined, so a Heads up from a more exsperenced Harley Riders would really help me, until I get a service manual

Old 09-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sweetpea123
I had been riding a Kawasaki Vulcan with all these extras, it was a fun Bike. But doesn't compare to this Bagger. Did not get a service manual with it so I have many Questions. For instance after reading the forums, about oil change, some folks say 3.5 quarts of oil, some say 4. Need to no. I purchased this Bike with 10,032 miles on it. I want the oil changed so I will no. Next I will get to the Tranny and other parts. Here where I live the Dealership wants $200.00 for an oil change. I have been Riding one kind or another Motorcycle since I was 13. Started on Dirt Bikes, I am mechanicly inclined, so a Heads up from a more exsperenced Harley Riders would really help me, until I get a service manual
I know where to get a servce manual online for $5.
Tradebit.com

Changing oil is very easy to do, don't be intimidated.

Last edited by 2009; 09-17-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Went from 2005 Goldwing to Ultra Classic a month ago.
I bad mouthed Harleys for years until I bought one.
They build a good motorcycle.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Jinxspot
Stage III

far from my first cruiser, but this is the first batwing/tourpack, hardbagger I've owned yet...

Old 09-18-2013, 01:03 AM
mccstevie
Cruiser

The service manual is a must have item and will show you everything you need to know. I have been doing all my own maintenance since I bought my 2008 Ultra 3 years ago with 3500 miles on it, now approaching 36,000 miles. All the fluid changes are easy to do once you learn what drain plugs empty which reservoir. You will spend around $60 for 4 quarts of oil and a new filter. While you at the dealer tell them you want new o-rings for the drain plugs and pick up a new gasket for the derby cover. This will be needed when you change the primary oil. Other items I would recommend are the HD oil drain pan and the HD oil filter wrench. It is nearly impossible to remove the oil filter without making some kind of mess but after doing it a few times you will adapt and figure out a better way. Another problem that many people have had is removing the 5 Torx head bolts holding the derby cover on. I have found the easiest way to remove them is with an impact driver and a quality set of socket type Torx head wrenches. Don't buy the cheap ones,you get what you pay for. Another big problem with the Harleys are vibrations. They all have them so Locktite will be your new best friend. Use the blue stuff and use it everywhere. This forum is a wealth of information and there are many people here glad to help. Harleys are definitely a different breed and you will learn there are many annoying things about them. The engines throw off a lot of heat,the vibrations and the valve tapping all make you think that something is wrong. It's the nature of the beast and you learn to live with it. Welcome to the club and good luck with your machine.

Quick Reply: Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?