Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Timbo200
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Man
Thanks. Yeah - that's my issue with it for right now, too, but might have to sacrifice some looks for better comfort. You didn't try those fairing wings, right?
Buffeting is such an individual thing, that I hate to suggest that what works for me will work for you. I'm only 5'8".

Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 PM
V-Man
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timbo200
Buffeting is such an individual thing, that I hate to suggest that what works for me will work for you. I'm only 5'8".
And I'm only 5'6". Hey - maybe that's the key! Be short enough so's you can't even see over the fairing!

Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Greg2006
Novice

Originally Posted by Hot Harley Girl
Well......I just sold my Fat Boy because a Great Deal came up on a Road Glide.
I have to say.....I am still undecided about the Road Glide.
I actually HATE that "FIXED" Fairing.....BIG TIME!!!
If I was doing it all over again.....I would definitely prefer the "Bat Wing" Fairing over the Road Glides "Fixed" Fairing.
Next thing that I have noticed with the Road Glide is.....that the Fairing does very little , as far as Blocking the wind goes.
On my Fat Boy.....my Sun Glass's would always Stay On....due to having no windshield at all, and the wind would hit me square in the face.....which would pin my glass's to my face, as I rode down the Freeway, at Freeway speeds.
When I picked up my Road Glide......the first thing that happened at Freeway speeds was for my $250 Oakleys....to Fly Off, due the Up Draught caused by that useless low windshield, that did absolutely nothing to block any of the wind.
If anything, the wind is even worse now, on the Road Glide because of the turbulence created by that Fixed Fairing.
I was always under the impression that by having a Touring Bike over a Fat Boy....that most of the wind, would be eliminated?
Not the case at all.
The Road Glide is liking owning a 4x4 over a Sports car.
It sits so Frigging High off the ground, it makes it so Unstable while trying to back it up, or just stopping at a light, is a challenge at times on the uneven pavement.
It could have something to do, with that 5 inch THICK Sofa, that they have on the Stock Road Glides.
The stereo is a nice touch, but....you can not hear it, at freeway speeds as it is, so it is really no big deal at all.
How immature and embarrassing is it, to hear.. some bike at a light, Blaring out some Old 80's tunes for all to hear.....while the rider thinks, that everyone else in the world Loves their choice of Music? lol
I wish that I could actually hear "My" Music, via some Blue Tooth device, as opposed to sharing my style of Music, with the outside world.
I do have to say, that the two bikes are like Night and DAY in Handling, the Road Glide does turn so much better and the ride is so much Softer than my Fat Boy ever was.
I have noticed not that much difference in the Power between the two bikes, which I am disappointed in....even with the 6 speed in my Road Glide, I am not impressed with it's 96 engine over my 88.......Yup.....I was expecting a lot more Power.
It is really nice to have the Locking Bags on it, that is a Huge Bonus.
So.....it is funny to read all the Positive remarks about your Touring Bikes, I find the Road Glide to be very Over Rated, from what I had heard.
All of our Buddies swear by the Road Glide and they ALL Love them?
I just find it hard to figure out....."WHY"?
Different strokes for different folks, but for me.......I know....that the Bat Wing Street Glide, would be a much better bike for me.
I really Hate that "FIXED" Fairing...BIG TIME! lol
May be?......I will get used to it and learn to Love it?
But......we are already talking about selling it come next Spring....and buying a Real Bike.
One with NO Windshield, No useless Sound System, No Sofa to sit on, and No Hard Bags ( These I will miss) but our next bike will have a BIG "Bad ***" 300 on the back of her!
If we are wanting creature Comforts and a Soft Ride, while listening to Barry Manilow and Abba tunes at FULL BLAST lol.......we will drive our Vette or the BMW.
Like Jesse James used to say......He always wanted a Bike, that was soooooo uncomfortable to ride.....that No One Else....would ever want to Ride it! lol
Hand Warmers, Coffee Cup Holders, Stereo's and Windshields belong in Cars.......not on Real Bikes.
Yes......I now have a Tour Bike a "Road Glide" to be specific.......but.....I will be selling it come the Spring.....and looking for some thing else, that looks more like a Bike and performs as one.
May be......I will change my mind between now and then?
You never ever know?
I am sure, that my feelings and remarks would be entirely different, if it was not for that "Fixed" Fairing.
Each to their own....but.....I really Hate that FIXED Fairing! LOL
Now.....tell me ....what the advantages are, of the Road Glide over a Street Glide?
If we wanted another "comfy" Car......we would buy one.
Bikes should look and feel like a Bike......the Tour Models are so far removed from that.....it kind of Turns me Off, for now!
Just my own Opinion.....for what it is worth.
Hey Tim,
Out of the two replies, yours is the only sensible one, to date.
I find it rather entertaining that my comments, would create such a stir! lol
I am just pointing out the facts, about the "ROAD GLIDE" itself.
I am sorry, if my comments go against the Grain or are not in line with some of the "Golly Gee" isn't the Road Glide just SWELL Beav impressions that it leaves a lot of you with!
I am just speaking from my "own" views of the ROAD GLIDE.
Some ....seem to have a problem with that? lol
Some of the Childish comments directed this way, reflect the profile pictures and the words of their own authors.
As they say....a Picture speaks a Thousand words!
In their case....that phrase appears to be, so True.
Once again guys, I am not here to Praise or give False credit to a Bike, that does not deserve it, in my own eyes.
If you happen to Love your Road Glide, that is Great for "YOU".
I on the other hand, have found nothing really worth while, to Love about "My"...... "ROAD GLIDE".
Different strokes for different Folks!
Speaking of that, just because I happen to live in Vancouver, that does not require me, to be a Canuck Fan either!
The Canucks ....SUCK....even MORE.... than my "Road Glide" does! LOL
PS.....if you can not be a Respectful Gentlemen....then at least "try", to be Nice!

May be..... the moderators.....thought that it was a little bit to Sexy or Racy?
But......come on......this is, a Harley site....is it not? lol
I saw in a pic one time of a girl with double D's wearing a t-shirt that said "I wish these were brains"

OMG... I think this whole thread with "Hot Harley Girl" is enough for me to cut my connection to Who is riding..... I've never read a dumber post (look at the rest of her post on the whole site in different rooms, shes a ding bat) Secondly, is "Hot Harley Girl" a self proclaimed nickname or is that what everybody calls you? I was thinking about calling myself Hot Harley Guy, or HandsomeMcHandsome, or maybe Pogi (means handsome in Filipino). I will try not to use "LOL, lol" as many times as you do in my post! You should also be glad that they were only $250.00 Oakleys and not $300.00 Revos. I agree with the other post by Iron Horseman, who goes out and drops that much money on a bike without knowing what your getting into? It's only a good deal if you like it or can sell it for more, and since you don't know anything about it I can only guess you don't know what it's worth! Are you going to be one of those people on e bay that buys a bike and then turns around and uses the same pics of the bike as the orginal seller, and trys to sell it for $4000.00 more then what you paid for it. Only to find that no one is going to buy it for that much! I know you did not get it on e bay... just an example. Anyway, I've noticed in all your comments you use the words "MY" "I" "MINE" etc. then in the same comment "ours" "we", you need to get your story straight! In other post around the board she speaks of lowering it, removing the stripe and so on. Come on guys... wise up to Hot Harley Girl, she's yanking our chain! I'm thinking that Hot Harley Girl is not even a girl at all, it's a dude!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Bens05FLHPI
Cruiser

I had an 80 Goldwing Standard then bought a 05 road king. Love it would not trade it for anything

Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 AM
rasa777
Intermediate

Just bought a 2004 RKC with stage one three months ago with 1,500 miles. put on another 3,500 since. Love the bike but hate the front brakes (the lack of brakes to be more accurate). I guess I'll just be more cautious riding and avoid the need to slow down...stop...pull over....the list of things I can't do is growing

Old 09-15-2012, 05:37 AM
converted1
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i've been riding for a long time now (35+yrs) and for the last 15 yrs or so touring bikes only,well been hearing soooooooooo much about the harley,said what the heck try one,hence the '12 ultra classic limited in the garage,had it for about 4 months now and 3000 miles,from stock to cams and exhaust with tune still not feeling it

Last edited by converted1; 09-15-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: correction
Old 09-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Iron_Horseman_Calgary
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bulkman2008
Ok , I dont like the touring models and wont brag on them , too big too heavy and dont handle well when riding two up in the hills or mountains , take my old heritage any day over the Limited as far as handling in town, I do understand that every bike isnt for every rider so when I see the right opportunity the big bike is gone and back to a softail .
As far as I am concerned, the Heritage Softail is underrated as a touring bike (and is easier to paddle around with your feet). It seems to me that I used to see way more of them being used for long distance touring back in the later eighties and nineties. It was probably the addition of so many more touring models that changed that. I was either going to buy a Heritage Softail or a FLHTC/FLHTCU. We tried both at the demo rides and my wife liked the FLH's considerably more for riding on the back. I knew that in the long run "If Mamma aint happy, aint nobody happy!" Good call on her part, we've had many great adventures on it together. Great sight-seeing bike, love touring the foothills in Autumn.

Last edited by Iron_Horseman_Calgary; 09-15-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Hot Harley Girl
Novice

Originally Posted by Greg2006
Hey Tim,
Out of the two replies, yours is the only sensible one, to date.
I find it rather entertaining that my comments, would create such a stir! lol
I am just pointing out the facts, about the "ROAD GLIDE" itself.
I am sorry, if my comments go against the Grain or are not in line with some of the "Golly Gee" isn't the Road Glide just SWELL Beav impressions that it leaves a lot of you with!
I am just speaking from my "own" views of the ROAD GLIDE.
Some ....seem to have a problem with that? lol
Some of the Childish comments directed this way, reflect the profile pictures and the words of their own authors.
As they say....a Picture speaks a Thousand words!
In their case....that phrase appears to be, so True.
Once again guys, I am not here to Praise or give False credit to a Bike, that does not deserve it, in my own eyes.
If you happen to Love your Road Glide, that is Great for "YOU".
I on the other hand, have found nothing really worth while, to Love about "My"...... "ROAD GLIDE".
Different strokes for different Folks!
Speaking of that, just because I happen to live in Vancouver, that does not require me, to be a Canuck Fan either!
The Canucks ....SUCK....even MORE.... than my "Road Glide" does! LOL
PS.....if you can not be a Respectful Gentlemen....then at least "try", to be Nice!

May be..... the moderators.....thought that it was a little bit to Sexy or Racy?
But......come on......this is, a Harley site....is it not? lol
I saw in a pic one time of a girl with double D's wearing a t-shirt that said "I wish these were brains"

OMG... I think this whole thread with "Hot Harley Girl" is enough for me to cut my connection to Who is riding..... I've never read a dumber post (look at the rest of her post on the whole site in different rooms, shes a ding bat) Secondly, is "Hot Harley Girl" a self proclaimed nickname or is that what everybody calls you? I was thinking about calling myself Hot Harley Guy, or HandsomeMcHandsome, or maybe Pogi (means handsome in Filipino). I will try not to use "LOL, lol" as many times as you do in my post! You should also be glad that they were only $250.00 Oakleys and not $300.00 Revos. I agree with the other post by Iron Horseman, who goes out and drops that much money on a bike without knowing what your getting into? It's only a good deal if you like it or can sell it for more, and since you don't know anything about it I can only guess you don't know what it's worth! Are you going to be one of those people on e bay that buys a bike and then turns around and uses the same pics of the bike as the orginal seller, and trys to sell it for $4000.00 more then what you paid for it. Only to find that no one is going to buy it for that much! I know you did not get it on e bay... just an example. Anyway, I've noticed in all your comments you use the words "MY" "I" "MINE" etc. then in the same comment "ours" "we", you need to get your story straight! In other post around the board she speaks of lowering it, removing the stripe and so on. Come on guys... wise up to Hot Harley Girl, she's yanking our chain! I'm thinking that Hot Harley Girl is not even a girl at all, it's a dude!
Greg....you have never read a Dumber Post before????
You might want to read your own....if you want to read something, really Pathetic and Sad.
I would suggest and highly recommend, that if you do not Cut your own connection with this site, that the Moderators BAN you from this site all together, for your Chauvinistic.... Rude and very Disrespectful comments towards a "Female" rider and another Harley owner.
Your Out Of Line ....Comments, have no place on a Forum like this or any where else for that matter.
What type of Real Man or Gentlemen, would ever utter such words?
Once again, your own Profile picture of Choice, tells us all, exactly the type of individual that you are.
One thing for sure , I am definitely MORE of Woman.....than you will ever be......a Real Man!
You really need to learn some Respect for others Greg.......especially towards all us Female riders out there.
Hopefully the Moderators will take care of that short coming of yours, for us all.
Your anger towards women in general , is coming out .....Loud and Clear.
You need to be Taught some Manners and Respect for others Greg.
But......I am sure and positive, that you have heard that more than once ,in your Life?
Hopefully the Moderators address your issues, for us.

Last edited by Hot Harley Girl; 09-16-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Hot Harley Girl
Novice

Originally Posted by bulkman2008
Ok , I dont like the touring models and wont brag on them , too big too heavy and dont handle well when riding two up in the hills or mountains , take my old heritage any day over the Limited as far as handling in town, I do understand that every bike isnt for every rider so when I see the right opportunity the big bike is gone and back to a softail .
Wow Bulkman,
An actual Male Rider, who happens to agree with me?
How funny is that? lol
May be, depending on where you live and what type of riding that you do, would greatly give each and every rider, a different view or impression of the Road Glide.
I am sure, that if you were riding it in Stop and Go... City driving all the time or you were stuck in Freeway Rush Hour Traffic on a daily schedule.....ones own view of the Road Glide would be entirely different, from someone who was riding it in Flat and unpopulated Oklahoma!

The Road Glide is not the Bike for me, that is for sure.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 AM
biil9
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just took delivery of my first american motorcycle last week. black 2003 electra glide and i couldnt be happier. all american from now on. usa#1

Quick Reply: Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?