Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Crazylegs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a 12' Road Glide Custom in Mid July coming from a Fatboy. Loved the Fatboy but I'm finding a big difference in power and comfort.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 AM
KelownaGilly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a Nightster early in the year after 20-odd years off a bike. Rode for two months but quickly realized a tour bike was for me. Got a Road King Classic and can't stay off it. Love it. Easier to ride than I thought.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM
rickyrrusty
Stage II

Just traded in my 09' V-Star 950 tourer for my first harley, a 09' Ultra Classic........it s like going from a Pinto to a Cadi, I love it, just joined the forum also, looking forward to many miles.

Rusty

Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 PM
CPT America
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Decided a couple weeks ago to put my slightly modified Night Rod Special up for sale and picked up a 2008 SG. Love it!!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 PM
michaeltechelectric
6th Gear

Tradded the Fat Boy for a 2010 Street Glide, wow....is all I can say. Can't get me off of it.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Hot Harley Girl
Novice
Default Fat Boy to a Road Glide.

Well......I just sold my Fat Boy because a Great Deal came up on a Road Glide.
I have to say.....I am still undecided about the Road Glide.
I actually HATE that "FIXED" Fairing.....BIG TIME!!!
If I was doing it all over again.....I would definitely prefer the "Bat Wing" Fairing over the Road Glides "Fixed" Fairing.
Next thing that I have noticed with the Road Glide is.....that the Fairing does very little , as far as Blocking the wind goes.
On my Fat Boy.....my Sun Glass's would always Stay On....due to having no windshield at all, and the wind would hit me square in the face.....which would pin my glass's to my face, as I rode down the Freeway, at Freeway speeds.
When I picked up my Road Glide......the first thing that happened at Freeway speeds was for my $250 Oakleys....to Fly Off, due the Up Draught caused by that useless low windshield, that did absolutely nothing to block any of the wind.
If anything, the wind is even worse now, on the Road Glide because of the turbulence created by that Fixed Fairing.
I was always under the impression that by having a Touring Bike over a Fat Boy....that most of the wind, would be eliminated?
Not the case at all.
The Road Glide is liking owning a 4x4 over a Sports car.
It sits so Frigging High off the ground, it makes it so Unstable while trying to back it up, or just stopping at a light, is a challenge at times on the uneven pavement.
It could have something to do, with that 5 inch THICK Sofa, that they have on the Stock Road Glides.
The stereo is a nice touch, but....you can not hear it, at freeway speeds as it is, so it is really no big deal at all.
How immature and embarrassing is it, to hear.. some bike at a light, Blaring out some Old 80's tunes for all to hear.....while the rider thinks, that everyone else in the world Loves their choice of Music? lol
I wish that I could actually hear "My" Music, via some Blue Tooth device, as opposed to sharing my style of Music, with the outside world.
I do have to say, that the two bikes are like Night and DAY in Handling, the Road Glide does turn so much better and the ride is so much Softer than my Fat Boy ever was.
I have noticed not that much difference in the Power between the two bikes, which I am disappointed in....even with the 6 speed in my Road Glide, I am not impressed with it's 96 engine over my 88.......Yup.....I was expecting a lot more Power.
It is really nice to have the Locking Bags on it, that is a Huge Bonus.
So.....it is funny to read all the Positive remarks about your Touring Bikes, I find the Road Glide to be very Over Rated, from what I had heard.
All of our Buddies swear by the Road Glide and they ALL Love them?
I just find it hard to figure out....."WHY"?
Different strokes for different folks, but for me.......I know....that the Bat Wing Street Glide, would be a much better bike for me.
I really Hate that "FIXED" Fairing...BIG TIME! lol
May be?......I will get used to it and learn to Love it?
But......we are already talking about selling it come next Spring....and buying a Real Bike.
One with NO Windshield, No useless Sound System, No Sofa to sit on, and No Hard Bags ( These I will miss) but our next bike will have a BIG "Bad ***" 300 on the back of her!
If we are wanting creature Comforts and a Soft Ride, while listening to Barry Manilow and Abba tunes at FULL BLAST lol.......we will drive our Vette or the BMW.
Like Jesse James used to say......He always wanted a Bike, that was soooooo uncomfortable to ride.....that No One Else....would ever want to Ride it! lol
Hand Warmers, Coffee Cup Holders, Stereo's and Windshields belong in Cars.......not on Real Bikes.
Yes......I now have a Tour Bike a "Road Glide" to be specific.......but.....I will be selling it come the Spring.....and looking for some thing else, that looks more like a Bike and performs as one.
May be......I will change my mind between now and then?
You never ever know?
I am sure, that my feelings and remarks would be entirely different, if it was not for that "Fixed" Fairing.
Each to their own....but.....I really Hate that FIXED Fairing! LOL
Now.....tell me ....what the advantages are, of the Road Glide over a Street Glide?
If we wanted another "comfy" Car......we would buy one.
Bikes should look and feel like a Bike......the Tour Models are so far removed from that.....it kind of Turns me Off, for now!
Just my own Opinion.....for what it is worth.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Iron_Horseman_Calgary
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You DID buy one! (supposedly). I guess Hot Harley Girl has never heard of the Harley "Test Our Metal" Demo rides that Harley provides to help you with your purchase decision.
When people are ecstatically happy with something (like their Harley touring bikes or Harleys in general) there is always someone who wants to "**** in that pool". It seems to be human nature that some people can't stand it when others are enjoying life more than them. My Electra Glide Classic has 46,000km on it already and I've enjoyed every one of them (excellent bike!). I've ridden all the other Harley touring bikes at the Demo Rides and have found them all to be great bikes.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:52 PM
somebiker
Novice

i traded my v-rod for my first touring bike, huge difference, my 2012 street glide is so much more comfortable!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Utah10
Intermediate

Sold my Kawasaki Nomad and bought a 2012 RG..........Best move ever!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 AM
V-Man
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 13 SG is coming soon... but definitely not soon enough!

Quick Reply: Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?