Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:01 PM
pons
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first Harley ever last year. I've had Japanese bikes since 1981 except for a '67 Triumph Trophy. My Ultra is as comfortable as the Kawasaki Voyager or the Goldwings I've had. I traded my FJR for the Ultra. I should have looked closer before I bought and got a newer model with a six speed and 6 gallon tank. I'm disappointed in the fuel milage/distance I can go between stops.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 PM
kramereod
Intermediate

First Touring AND first Harley all in one. 2011 Ultra Limited, Vivid Black, 103", and waiting for warmer weather!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:33 PM
sunsetdriver
Advanced

This is my first touring Harley, but my second Harley purchase.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:22 PM
whodares
Cruiser

First Harley for me. And it's a RKC.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
thecort
Road Captain

1st Touring bike & love it!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:58 PM
1SG_CFP
Advanced
Default Filling Bucket List

This could get long.

I had two major surgeries in Sep and Oct of last year. I was in the hospitalized in the neurosurgical unit three times and came out of the hospital temporarily using a walker.

I've had a number of bikes over the years including riding a trials bike in the army scouting for tanks. But I never had that full dress Harley. I decided I'd better do it before it was too late.

After I got out of the hospital, I spent weeks searching the internet looking for the right bike for the right price. Since I couldn't drive, my wife drove me to all the dealers in the area to shop.

I found it on the internet up in Michigan. It was a repo out of California that a car dealer in Michigan bought for himself and decided to sell when it started getting cold.

Here's the cool part. I couldn't drive from Indianapolis to Michigan. Even sitting in the car was too much. So two of my Harley rider friends helped me.

We laid the passenger seat down in my Yukon and made me a bed. We rented a U-haul motorcycle trailer. They drove me to Michigan, checked out the bike, and test rode it for me. I paid, signed the paperwork and got back in my bed.

They loaded it up, took the bike and me home, and put it in the garage for me. That was November 5th.

Since then, I've added a tour pak and wraparound lights, true duals, reduced effort clutch kit, primary adjuster, new transmission cover, derby cover, switchblade highway pegs, replaced the saddlebags, mustang bag covers, adjustable rider backrest, V&H fuel pak, run/stop,turn light kit, hidden antenna in fairing, saddlebag guard rails, easy up center stand, liners in all bag, HD bag luggage, chrome windshield trim, brukus bag locks, fairing lowers with locking doors and I'm sure I missed something. I've done everything myself learning as I go.

After my ride tonight, I'm 7 miles short of putting 100 miles on it. But ever mile has been thrilling for me. Personalizing it has been fun, expensive, a lot of work, and fulfilling. Now I'm ready for warm weather and lots of miles.

Last edited by 1SG_CFP; 03-16-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:10 PM
porkchopsd
Tourer

You got some cool buddies 1SG, thanks for your service and for the great story. Enjoy your great ride! Oh yeah, this is my first touring harley, first harley was a 1986 Candy Apple Red Sportster, loved that bike.

Last edited by porkchopsd; 03-16-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Headcockedsideways
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 97 RKC 2 weeks before Christmas. I am lovin it!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my first tourer- a new 2011 RK

Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First bike in 30 years, first Harley: FLHR--1000 miles. it's at the dealer now for chubby 12.5s and fuel moto pro tours, stage 1 and pcv. Doing a lot of practicing in the parking lot and planning a week long blue ridge parkway trip first week in May. this bike has made me sane

Quick Reply: Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?