Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My Ultra Classic is my first Harley, as well as my first touring bike.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Mountain Bound
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first HD; 2010 FLHX

Originally Posted by Ride4Him
Who on here has purchased thier first touring Harley Davidson?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:36 PM
BigD629
Cruiser

Got my Ultra Limited in June 2010, it's my first Harley, put 6000 miles on it so far. I'm already planning trips to NW Arkansas(Pig Trail) and Colorado(Million $ Hwy) this summer!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
"Big E"
Cruiser

this is my first harley and my first tourer,bought back in november. done put over 3000 miles on her.bought it used on here with 3400 miles on it,and I love it!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
ironman2011
Road Captain

Had my '11 SG since Oct. Moved up from a Dyna.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My 1st Touring bike was a 1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture I bought in 2000. Put 26500 miles on her over the last 10 years. Road her as often as I could. Was hoping that Yammie would update the model for the 2009 anniversary year, and same in 2010, they didn't, so I was done, time for something new and different. So since 2008 I have been looking at ALL other touring bikes. I was too young for a GW, was not impressed with the Kawi, Suzies were not even considered, the Victory Vision reminds too much of that bad Sylvester Stalone movie Judge Dread, and I am not yuppie enough for a BMW. I like the looks and styles of older throw back bikes - another reason I do not like GW's and BMW's.

Since 2008 I would look at HD's, bitch to myself they are too expensive, I did not like the way they shook all over at idle, saw WAY to many people towing em instead of riding em, and of course all the OLD horror stories of how they leaked oil and broke down on the side of the road....

2010 came around and after 3 years of looking at HD's - then hearing about the '09's with huge improvements, etc. I decided to rent one in the Spring for a day with the wife. I enjoyed it, but again I was comparing it to my RSV that is a very comfy and HEAVY bike - and I felt like I sat on top of the HD instead of "in-it" and it felt too light and too easy to maneuver (yeah I know - shut up). So I told the wife, we wait and see...

Then in July, about 2 months after my test ride, and I again found out that Yammie was not going to rev their Touring bike for the 2011 year, THEN some bug just up and bit me - and I was HD hell bound. Started searching ebay, forums, cycle trader, you name it - trying to get my bearings on price etc. Then - I found my current HD sled on Craigslist - ooohh yeah baby - color I wanted, only 1400 miles, 1 owner repo. The gent on CL that was selling it ONLY deals in high-end clean stuff, an indy dealer who sells clean and top shape cars, momos etc. Talked to him several times - he was asking $21K, I had $19K, and I was looking at another one on eBay for $22K that had more stuff and only 600 miles, so back and forth I went - finally the guy in KS, MO who I found on CL asked me, is this your 1st HD - I said yes, he said, ok, I will cut ya a deal - $19K it is. So - send him check of $1K for dwn pmt - I find out there is an HD dealer right up street from him - do some research on that dealer (they had a good rep) and so he asked if I would like him to take it up there and make sure she is all road worthy - all maint up to date etc, VIN check. So he does this for me - they did the service, it needed that tank bracket recall fix and something else and they did it all, and well while it was there I asked them to give me some pricing on a backrest, tourpack rack and some hwy pegs. They gave me a good deal and also gave me a good deal on installing the HD tour bars. So the wife and I juggle schedules for her shop and my biz, got sitter for kids, I buy 2 one-way air tix to KS, MO from here (hmmm prolly not to smart as an after thought). We fly out, get in late due to something BOC, he sends a driver to pick us up at airport - get to his place - cool place btw - lotsa neat machines and toys - all clean - you could eat off of everything - I inspected the bike it was perfect. I have NO idea how anything on this machine really worked - as far as radio, com system, etc.

So we put our helmets on and drove it home.

The best 17 hours on a bike - ever. Smooth. Handled well, we hit t-storms (bad ones) and I was NEVER nervous, that bike stuck to those roads - always got the shakes on the RSV for some reason.

So now I say to peeps - this is REALLY my first touring bike. :-)

Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ride4Him
Who on here has purchased thier first touring Harley Davidson?

Me...first touring bike..just a month ago. FLHRC.

owned a Fat Boy before....

Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 PM
xpilot
Advanced

I have owned a few different bikes over the years. Yamaha rd 400 that I made into a cafe racer, Cr 500 (raced), and an older goldwing. More recently I bought a VTX 1300, and a KTM 690 SMC. In Dec, I bought my first Harley, a 2003 FLHTCI firefighter. Can't wait to ride it this spring. Will be dumping the VTX, but the KTM Supermoto is too much fun when in the mood for hyper driving (though nnot very comfy for more than a couple of hours).

I really have learned to LOVE the relaxing, touring type of bike. It makes me see my surroundings in a different way, and for me is a relaxed enjoyable way of killing an evening.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Randy L Dennie
Advanced

5 years on mine

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
roox
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got my 3rd tour bike (but first Harley) last week. Since there is still snow on the ground it sits in the garage!

Quick Reply: Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?