Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Got back from OC Md. Bike Week last Sun and was in the Harley Dealer on Mon. trading in my 02 Fatboy for a 2011 RK Classic. Should pick it up by Fri. At 56, I figured it's time to get a more comfortable ride for me and my GF.
Went Black....thge other colors just didn't do it for me.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by doc1972
Last month I traded in my Street Bob for a 2010 Ultra Limited. This is the biggest bike I`ve ever owned. I`m 5' 6" and sitting on the bike my feet are about an inch from being flat on the ground. At just over 900 lbs I find it sometimes difficult to manuver around in parking lots at slow speed and if the front wheel gets jacked it takes all I have to keep it up I see guys my size on other bikes with no apparent problems. Should I spend the money and have it lowered? What if anything will I loose by doing this? And do any of you reading this have or had the same issues. I have put nearly 5000 miles on it and love the ride.
This is a safety issue Doc. If you can't sit flat foot at a light I would definitely get it lowered. I don't know what you'll lose as a result of it riding wise but you'll be able to make the adjustment. Look around in the touring area for others that have lowered theirs and see what they say.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Ohiobellboy
This is a safety issue Doc. If you can't sit flat foot at a light I would definitely get it lowered. I don't know what you'll lose as a result of it riding wise but you'll be able to make the adjustment. Look around in the touring area for others that have lowered theirs and see what they say.
I have only ever been able to ride bigger bikes in that way! When moving your bike around except forwards under power, get off it and push it from beside it! Far safer. Only ride in good quality well fitted boots with grippy soles. Sorted. It is not necessary to lower a bike just because you (and me!) are a little short of leg.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Iron_Horseman_Calgary
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doc1972, Harley makes a seat for your touring bike especially made for someone with a short inseam. I have sat on a bike with this seat and I can tell it's a very comfy seat. Try this before you even think of lowering the suspension (which does sacrifice some of the bike's ride through less suspension travel and compliance). If you want less reach to the bars, they also can install bars that extend closer to the rider. For you tall guys, I have also sat on the touring seat Harley makes for you, also an excellent seat.

Last edited by Iron_Horseman_Calgary; 09-28-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-02-2010, 04:43 PM
ArizonaPhil
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought my first Touring Bike. '04 Road King Custom.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM
yorgo
Advanced

Left this morning at 7am. Got back home at 7pm. 12 hour, 700 mile day. Nothing like a touring bike.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 PM
downtime
Novice

First HD, First touring. Wasn't even considering anything else. Probably never will. Was gonna be a RK or a SG. Found a deal on the SG first. Glad I did, I didn't know what I was missing with the stereo. A coworker asked last week "think you'll ever have another metric?".....nope

Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM
jrb3146
Stage II

I got my first HD, 2005 Road King custom. I bought it off my cousin and cannt wait ride it, but I am over in Afghanistan on a contract job. It will be my first time a HD and a street bike in 15 yrs. Last bike was a Kawi 1000 LTD. Just a little not sure to expect, but what the hell.
Any advice on the first ride.
Have been riding dirt bikes, ATVs and hoggie bikes ( 250 India/paki bikes) over here.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Lwood Classic
Advanced

This is my second bike and first HD. Hard to believe the difference. Way better!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 5th Harley and my first touring bike. A 2011 RKC which is now 4 days old. When you get older, you get smarter. Nothing like comfort on a 400 mile ride.

Quick Reply: Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?