Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 08:33 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim8208
Traded in my '07 low rider yesterday for a 2013 Ultra and I love it. I really liked my low rider but I love this Ultra. Plan on doing some touring next spring so trading was a no brainer as far as comfort for the long haul.
you have some good roads down thru Arkansas in some areas.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Idahoboi
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 486 Likes on 199 Posts
Default I Hear You

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16
Bought mine in August. Still trying to gain enough confidence to take momma with me. The weight at stops and slow speed scares me. Other than that, I'm loving it. Rides like a caddie!
'14 RoadKing w/Stage 1
Practice, Practice Practice. I was the same way a couple of years ago when I bought my Road King. I spent a lot of time doing the exercises on Motorman's Ride Like A Pro video. Now the Road King doesn't seem big and heavy at all.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:42 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,269 Likes on 3,419 Posts

You had the confidence on that big new bike to put your wife on right away? I've had mine a couple months, and still a lil nervous about it!? Lol. I want to bad, that's why I got it, but paranoid big time.
Did you ride with her on the back prior to getting your bagger? If you did, you should have no issues other than your anxiety. I never want to encourage anybody to do something that will potentially get them hurt, but you should get momma out on the rode with you.

I have had my wife on a pile of sport bikes in the last 25 years, and then on the back of my Dyna...she said NO MORE after that ride, she hated the back of that Low Rider S. One of the reasons I got my first bagger. I always thought I would hate them, and I am only mad because I should have done it 20 years ago.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

Bought mine in August. Still trying to gain enough confidence to take momma with me. The weight at stops and slow speed scares me. Other than that, I'm loving it. Rides like a caddie!
'14 RoadKing w/Stage 1
Like others have said, "Practice Practice Practice!!!"
Tip #1: Watch, follow and practice Ride Like a Pro videos. Tennis ***** (cut in half) are a cheap way to set up cones. Get used to using that friction zone.
Tip #2: Know that your bike will handle almost exactly the same whether Momma's on or not. Just make sure that Momma knows to sit straight up in the saddle and doesn't try to help with leaning especially at slow speeds. About the only difference I've found at the beginning, with two-up, is that it took a touch more brake pressure to come to a stop. I never even notice now.
Tip #3: Never, ever touch that front brake at slow speeds or when actually coming to a stop,,, especially if your bars are turned even the slightest. Did I mention never, ever???
Tip #4: Once you've got confidence with slow speed and with Momma along, practice your Ride Like a Pro exercises with Momma on. You'll be impressed with yourself

Old 12-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Jim8208
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a lot of good riding to be had in Arkansas for sure.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:32 PM
jrmicko19
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a 2005 Softail Standard that i rode for 10 years, basically just a run around town bike, wasn't comfortable to go any sort of distance on. Just traded it in for a 2020 Road Glide Special. Looking forward to putting the miles on!

Old 12-09-2019, 04:57 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

This 2019 SGS is my first touring bike....it’s an amazing bike. Will probably sell it in the next year and move to the Heritage in this pic, but not because I don’t love the bike.....it’s a function of my age and it’s size.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:55 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,602 Likes on 22,699 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
This 2019 SGS is my first touring bike....it’s an amazing bike. Will probably sell it in the next year and move to the Heritage in this pic, but not because I don’t love the bike.....it’s a function of my age and it’s size.
This is true.
Softails are bottom heavy and dressers, dyna's and sportsters are top heavy.
Top heavy bikes go down easier than do bottom heavy bikes.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:14 PM
rheimy
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Purchased a 2019 Street Glide Special a month or so ago. Living in Ontario, the season is pretty much over now, but I did manage to get out for 1 ride a couple of weeks ago. Was able to put about 120km on it that day. I'm coming from a Kawasaki Vulcan S. That was a great little bike, but was just too small and uncomfortable for me on a ride longer than 1-2 hours.
The difference is amazing between the two bikes. Obviously the weight difference, but being on the Harley was a night and day different riding experience. Smooth, comfortable, refined.
Looking forward to spring and warm weather!

Ryan.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:07 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
I'm 77 years young. in late '17 I bought my Cherry, an '18 Heritage, and enjoy it very much. However, I really wanted a bike with a fairing and all the goodies, so last March I bought Big Sister, a '19 Street Glide Special. In the 15 months I was riding Cherry before buying the SGS I clocked just under 9K miles. Since last March I'm going on 7K on the SGS and have also added about 1K on Cherry.

Yes, big Sister is heavier, but I don't notice the extra weight at all when riding, even 2-up. May have to be a bit more careful at stops though.

I am able to do just about the same slow manuvers with either bike and actually find the SGS to be a little more forgiving. Haven't quite mastered a 18' U-turn on either bike yet, but can do under 20' circles...go figure.

And, because of the fairing I do not get as physicaly fatigued riding Big Sister as I do riding Cherry. After about 2 hours or 100 miles I need a break when riding Cherry. I'm good for 3+ hours or some 200 miles on Big Sister. (sometimes my bladder may dictate otherwise).

I'm convinced that age and weight has nothing to do with what bike you choose to ride. I'm a healthy 77 year old and as long as I keep my upper body and leg strenght good I should be riding both bikes for a while yet. If my legs give out, I don't think I will be able to ride either.

Quick Reply: Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?