Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Iron_Horseman_Calgary
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tips to ward off tips

Originally Posted by bluestoo
Hi,I purchased my first touring model a month ago. a 2014 ultra glide classic. love it. Still getting used to the weight and riding two up ...slow. dropped twice first day but no damage. I love the bike.
One thing that I found helps is something I learned from watching police motorcycle training videos. In order to make it less likely to dump your bike in slow maneuvers such as u-turns is to slightly ride the rear brake at the same time you are using the gas. Practice it, it works. Another thing to remember is that your bike has weight high and far back behind the rear wheel axis (your tour pak). When throwing things in for a casual ride or even when packing for a tour, put the heavy stuff in the saddlebags rather than the tour pak. Get air in your rear suspension to cant the bike (and therefore a bit of it's weight), forward. I find 35lbs works well for me and my 2009 and I'm not a heavy guy. Anticipate stopped traffic ahead and approach slowly so you you don't have to come to a stop but are still rolling when the light changes. Be aware of where heavy truck and bus traffic have made dipped grooves in the asphalt and don't cross right over them (Eg. in front of some bus stops). Cornering at speed on your big CVO shouldn't be a problem but practice your counter-steering (that practice comes in real handy if you enter a curve a little too fast).

The following users liked this post:
exskwid (03-17-2017)
Old 10-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Iron_Horseman_Calgary
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestoo
Hi,I purchased my first touring model a month ago. a 2014 ultra glide classic. love it. Still getting used to the weight and riding two up ...slow. dropped twice first day but no damage. I love the bike.
See my tips on the previous page, (tips to avoid tips)

Old 10-15-2015, 12:27 AM
1957xler
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a 2006 FLHRI

Been riding a 1957 sportster for about 30 Years, and its a blast building, and wrenching, and building again. But the rides on the 2006 Road King in the last 3 days, incomparable! Loving it. Watched the "motorman vids before I ever got started, that helps. Read about problems with toe, heel shifter. I am actually diggin it. No scuff marks on the top of the boots, and haven't had any hangups. Finding neutral has been a breeze. Before the purchase I was dreaming "big bore", "cams", white walls. Now that I've put about 75 miles on it I'm thinking a Mean City Seat Mod, and "just ride it" for awhile. Get the feel of it. Think the sporty may be ignored a little in the future?

Attached Thumbnails Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?-027.jpg   Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?-012.jpg  
Old 10-15-2015, 09:36 AM
matt_883
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be a bit long and hopefully not confusing, but any questions ask away;

I've been on my '07 Electra Glide Standard (Rebuilt-salvaged)-to look like a Street Glide/Ultra Class clone since Thanksgiving last year. Previous to that I rode an 883 Sportser for almost 5 years and previous to that I rode a small Suzuki Savage for 2 years to learn on.

The last 11 months have been the most enjoyable on 2 wheels I could have ever imagined. I'm certainly not new to 2 wheels but the HD touring class was a whole new level for me. I'm a big guy (6'3", 225) so the weight wasn't a complete shocker as my bike is close to 900+ lbs. Here are a few tips that I have found out, mostly the hard way that will hopefully help someone either already on a HD touring bike or thinking about one;

-Learn to feather the rear brake, clutch and throttle all at the same time for slow speed maneuvers (STAY OFF THE FRONT BRAKE UNDER 15 MPH - UNLESS FOR A PANIC STOP). These touring bike are HEAVY and a yank of the front brake under 15 MPH can and will cause the bike to fall over, especially if the front wheel is turned either direction in the slightest.

-Speaking of slow speed maneuvers, learn how to lean the bike and only the bike while keeping your body and head upright and perpendicular to the ground. This especially helps when you have to turn right or left from a dead stop. Only achieved by leaning the bike and keeping your body and head upright. *Watch some of the police training videos on YouTube - they are masters of this technique and can whip the bike around like a toy just by leaning the bike and turning their heads*

-To go along with the above statement, I've found that at slow speed turns right or left in 2nd gear (or 3rd sometimes for that matter), it helps if I stay OFF the clutch and keep on the throttle slightly while feathering the rear brake. This will keep the bike from jerking while you're trying to feather out the clutch and give it throttle.

-When approaching a traffic light or intersection, use the engine to help your braking with the gears by downshifting (unless a PANIC stop is needed and hopefully NOT), as well as the rear brake ONLY when in 2nd and under 20 MPH. I can pretty much come to a complete stop in 1st gear by using the rear brake, clutch and throttle all together while never taking my feet off the floor boards. I don't come to a complete stop unless I absolutely have to.

-As has been said before, keep your loaded weight as low as possible. This is hard to do when carrying a passenger, but keep your shocks air'd up and your tire pressure to specs. Carrying a passenger should be a completely different thread but can be done with relative ease after a bit of practice to learn how to affects the bike and your ability to maneuver it successfully.

Although the touring bikes are inherently heavy and mostly top-heavy bikes, by using the above methods they can be ridden in ANY scenario you can imagine. I would never hesitate to take mine anywhere and honestly, can't believe I waited this long to get one.

By the way, the clutch/throttle/rear brake techniques I have described above that have helped me so much are the EXACT same ones the expert instructors teach at all of the advanced motorcycle rider training courses and again, are the same techniques the police motor cops use in their everyday riding and of course their road course training.

-Matt B.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:26 PM
DigitalDave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Matt said. Coming from smaller bikes, you use the front brake a lot more than the back, but in these big monsters, that just does not work very well. Engine braking, rear brake, throttle... Not to say the front bake is useless, just that I have learned to use it a lot less and that equals better control. It's a process... I use to approach a stop fairly rapidly, front and back brake, then front only with both feet hitting the ground. Now, I approach more slowly, rear brake brings me to a stop with the left foot hitting the ground.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:06 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Who has two opposable thumbs and a Harley? THIS GUY!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:22 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Keep in mind, If you choose to feather the throttle, and Not come to that complete stop at a light, waiting for it to turn Green..

first thing I learned when driving and is REALLY important on a bike

RED means STOP

Yellow means CAUTION

and most important,,, GREEN means MAYBE.

coming up to a red and having it turn green... those few seconds can Kill you as you enter the intersection...

Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 PM
txroadking65
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode a 75 FLH for 18 years, sold that and bought a 02 wide glide. Rode the wide glide 13 years and traded it in 3 months ago for a 13 Road King. It took a while to like the wide glide, was too used to the shovel. Now same thing with the RK, totally different bike. I'll grow to love it like the other two, just going to take some miles.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:39 AM
cajunlowrider
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Take classes

I took the beginners class on my Low Rider and watched Ride Like A Pro and practiced many of his exercises. When I moved to a big bike, I was stunned at how easy it was to control using the same techniques.

Then I took an Intermediate and an Advanced class on the big bike. Picked up a couple of invaluable tips doing in each class. Great, experienced instructors.

Never stop learning or practicing. I lowered my handlebars as low as they would go without hitting my thighs when I turn and felt like I took 150 lbs off of the bike. Major difference for me.

Love my 15 Ultra Limited.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:57 PM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

My closest friend bought the bike I now have 1 year ago today. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor lees than a week after getting the bike. Passed in March, 42 miles on the bike. I wanted it but wanted his wife to get max price... she tried selling it but no takers. We reached agreement on a price and I took out a loan and got the bike last week.

It is my first Harley. My buddy traded his Pitbull and I still need to sell my 05 AIH Lone Star Chopper. The S&S 111 was stronger than the 103, but the ride and handling is a dream coming off 10 years on a hard tail chopper!

Quick Reply: Who is riding Touring Harley for the first time?