Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Max and I am pissed

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:02 PM
FXWGG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-Max and I am pissed

I have an 07 Ultra and since it was new it had some spark knock. I purchased some Rineharts T/D and a Ness big sucker and a Thunder-max with auto tune. I still had a little spark knock but still could not get rid of it all. I fool with it a little each summer but can never get it all out. Here comes the pissed part. My buddy just got an 2010 Road Glide and when we ride together he pulls away from me like its nothing. His is stock and I have the add on's but he still pulls away. I have added some Accel fuel to 13.5 and retarded the timing a couple of degrees between 1500 and 2400 rpm ( that's where it seems to knock the worst) What else can I do to cure the knock yet still be able to keep up. I would think that the Thunder-max would make the ultra run away form him. am I wrong to think this? Is the gearing different on the two different bikes?
Any suggestions are welcome.

I would love to find somebody that has experience with tuning the T-Max close to me for some pointers.

Thanks,

Bobby

Old 05-22-2010, 02:32 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It might help your cause if you tell people where you're located. Just saying.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:39 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL...thread number three this week. I had this same setup on my 07 SG. This setup did not work. I dumped the True Duals and the ThunderMax and replaced them with the Fuel Moto power package. Runs great! PCIII and Dyno Tuned mufflers with a K&N air filter. I had overheating at idle and pinging while running. The only time I get any pinging now is the random bad tank of gas. I was told after a lot of research that the stock cams and almost zero back pressure do not work well together. It kills the scavenging that is needed to keep the heads cool. The autotune on the ThunderMax just does not get the calibration correct with the TrueDuals. For some reason it sets up way too lean under full throttle and at idle.

Last edited by FX4; 05-22-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
FXWGG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I am in Aberdeen MD. I cannot afford to dump what I have right now. I think it would be cheaper to buy new cams.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:37 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Keep in mind that the 2010 has a larger rear sprocket. That's certainly part if not all of the reason he pulls away from you.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:44 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

FXWGG, I am not saying you should. I am just telling you how I solved the problem. New cams should do the trick.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:47 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

NVSTEVE, I beat 103s with the Fuel Moto setup. Now I grant you they are the stock Harley setup with the canned stage II map, but I have beat a couple of these.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:51 PM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FXWGG, Call zipper's in maryland, They are the maker's of your t-max. They should be able to help you.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:53 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

FXWGG - I just want to add that you can sell the True Duals and the ThunderMax for about 1200.00 or so, buy the FuelMoto package and pocket 500.00 - 600.00 should you decide to go that route.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:59 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by vbx07
FXWGG, Call zipper's in maryland, They are the maker's of your t-max. They should be able to help you.
FYI
Zippers spent 8 hours working on my bike at Daytona Bike Week, they could not solve the problem. Two hours the first day, and they gave it back to me. Rode it that night and it was still overheating, they had it for six hours the next day. Gave it back and said it should be working, pinged my way back to Naples and removed it a week later. Did a lot of research and found an experienced engineer that told me the stock cam requires back pressure to run properly. True Duals were the problem, not the Zippers unit, although he and a few others went into reasons why not to run the ThunderMax that didn't have a lot to do with my issues.

Quick Reply: T-Max and I am pissed