Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't EVER, I mean EVER put a windshield on your bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 07:55 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

I don't know how guys ride day in and day out without one. Just the rocks and bugs alone are enough not to mention the fatigue of a few hundred miles of riding. I do admit though that I really want another bike to ride other than my Ultra. A family member has a Buell and I just love the open feeling.

Old 05-21-2010 | 07:57 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member

been riding with one since 83......however i did take the one off my Deluxe when I put tall bars on but know Iam going to put it back on,just need to cut it a bit were it hits the bars.....

When the sun goes down the bugs are thick out in the lakes area were i live,its not fun without a shield or full face helmet...

Old 05-21-2010 | 08:30 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Could have told ya that 25 years ago. Better late that never "they" say!

Old 05-21-2010 | 08:49 PM
TwoBaggerz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
Go figure, I rode without one for decades, got a Road King and few year ago and now have an Ultra, can't even imagine being without a windshield now.
When I bought my 89 Heritage took it straight home and pulled off the windshield...told people that if wanted a windshield, I would drive my truck...I guess I am getting older...I didnt buy a streetglide (what I really wanted) because of the fear of not being able to remove the windshield...now I jsut put a fairing on my RKC! Even put the windshield on the ol' panhead!

Old 05-21-2010 | 08:52 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

100% agree! Rode without all my life, even put one on a previous bike only to take it off because of the buffeting. Now that I have my Ultra - no way I'm going back. At least not for touring.
I did ride my Bro-in-laws Fatboy last summer, and though it was a nice change, I couldn't wait to get back on my bike!

Old 05-21-2010 | 09:32 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

It gets worse.

Don't ever put a batwing on your bike........

Old 05-21-2010 | 10:01 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

I hear ya. I have at least 4 different windshields for the EG and a little Tombstone for the Softy. I tried the Softy without that little shield for a few weeks and finally said; enough! Got a used Windvest coming from an HDF right now.

Something I don't get though. Some people look through a windshield. Kinda defeats the purpose of riding a bike if I'm gonna look through some plexiglass at the road and scenery. JMHO.

Old 05-21-2010 | 10:06 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer

The best day of my life was when I put a windshield on my fatboy....i didn't want to quit riding.....amazing the improvement.....I've recently discovered the batwing and radio.....now I'll never go back....

Old 05-21-2010 | 10:49 PM
1sharprdkg
Advanced

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
yep......been there, done that. Doesn't take long to get over the "looks odd" factor does it?

Cool thing about the Kings is how easy it is to pop off on/off. I like to slow cruise locally when hot without but for runs of any real miles it is always on! Besides, the windshield pouch holds the door opener, cigs and sunglasses when we stop.
+agree what you said,very handy...

Old 05-22-2010 | 12:51 AM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

Been riding for around 30 years. 20 or so without a windshield. I got on a Glide for a test run and never looked back. Rode a bike without a shield a while back and hated it. Must be an age thing.

Quick Reply: Don't EVER, I mean EVER put a windshield on your bike