Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well my tinted tail light lense is crap.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well my tinted tail light lense is crap.

Today I noticed the bulb was blown. This was the second time I have had to replace it in 3 months. There is a red plastic cover that goes over the bulb to provide a red light and it gets too hot causing it to melt, then blow the light. Tonight I just swapped the stock lense back on. I miss the tinted look but probably should use the stock one since I commute on HWY 95 with DC traffic. Anyone else have this issue with the cover?

Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 AM
SubZer0
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Well my tinted tail light lense is crap.

How about just getting a red tinted bulb? I noticed some at the dealer today.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

I'll need to stop by the dealers here. I looked at a auto parts store but they didn't have anything. Thanks.
ORIGINAL: SubZer0

How about just getting a red tinted bulb? I noticed some at the dealer today.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It is the size of the bulb that is the problem. I had this happen last year. The bulb melted the lenses and then it blew. And at night no less. The standard 3157 bulb does not work with the laydown lenses. I ordered an LED bulb to cure the problem. I also have my signals as brake and driving lights now to supplement the rear lighting.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:19 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,846 Posts

With my smoked lens they sent an LED bulb, but you cannot really see it light up as a brake light in the daytime because it is not the full LED compliment that you can buy, it is just a puny few bulb LED bulb. So, I have to get me one of them turn-brake-run jobbies and go with that.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Danester
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Abnmarine

Today I noticed the bulb was blown. This was the second time I have had to replace it in 3 months. There is a red plastic cover that goes over the bulb to provide a red light and it gets too hot causing it to melt, then blow the light. Tonight I just swapped the stock lense back on. I miss the tinted look but probably should use the stock one since I commute on HWY 95 with DC traffic. Anyone else have this issue with the cover?

How's that commute!?! Fun eh? I did it for three years - - left outta DC everyday at 3:30 to get in the HOV South bound..with about 10 other riders on average - - we usually clocked at 80-90 MPH all the way down to Dumfries (I turned off at the PW PKWY) to head Westbound...

Old 08-17-2006, 10:33 AM
websterdan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem in mar. I found a red lense bulb at NAPA of all places (last place I looked). I took out the plastic chrome piece reflector and haven't had a problem since.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

Yeah that was the problem. Either I didn't read it in the instructions or it didn't say (can't remember). Now the red lense is useless but a red bulb with solve the issue.
ORIGINAL: Monstermile

It is the size of the bulb that is the problem. I had this happen last year. The bulb melted the lenses and then it blew. And at night no less. The standard 3157 bulb does not work with the laydown lenses. I ordered an LED bulb to cure the problem. I also have my signals as brake and driving lights now to supplement the rear lighting.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

Commute isn't that bad. I leave at 8 am and it takes 35 minutes and average 45 minutes coming home at 5:30 pm. Yeah, cruisomg the HOV at 80 mph has me thinking of installing a 6 speed.
ORIGINAL: Danester

ORIGINAL: Abnmarine

How's that commute!?! Fun eh? I did it for three years - - left outta DC everyday at 3:30 to get in the HOV South bound..with about 10 other riders on average - - we usually clocked at 80-90 MPH all the way down to Dumfries (I turned off at the PW PKWY) to head Westbound...