Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 12:42 PM
StanfordMan
|
Tourer
Default Torque Wrench

There is another thread that I started concerning changing the transmission fluid. After checking my Owner's Manuel, I see that you are supposed to tighten the drain plug bolt between 14-21 ft lbs. Well, I don't own a torque wrench; and have simply gotten by with minor repairs and such by tightening according to "feel." However, it occurs to me that you want to be careful not to under tighten the drain plug (so as to avoid leaking) as well as over tighten and possibly snap off the bolt. So, before I run off to Harbor Freight or the Home Depot, can someone recommend the type of torque wrench I should get, understanding that I'm not a professional mechanic, and I am only going to perform minor repairs and maintenance. Therefore, I don't need the best/most expensive torque wrench. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-21-2010 | 12:51 PM
cpotts454
Cruiser

Im not a professional tool man by any means, but I would recommend staying away from harbor freight for precision tools like torque wrenches and gauges. I would pay the little extra money and get a tool with a lifetime gaurentee, i.e. Craftsman, Snap-on, Duralast. Just my two sense.

Im not bashing harbor freight, Ive got a ton of tools from there that are one time use pieces. Anything you use often you should spent a little more jack on.

Old 05-21-2010 | 12:58 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member

Agreed. I use Harbor Freight for several things, but a torque wrench isn't one of them. You can get an inexpensive, reliable Craftsman from Sears. Some things you don't scrimp on.

Old 05-21-2010 | 01:02 PM
Greg MacD
Novice

Originally Posted by cpotts454
Im not a professional tool man by any means, but I would recommend staying away from harbor freight for precision tools like torque wrenches and gauges. I would pay the little extra money and get a tool with a lifetime gaurentee, i.e. Craftsman, Snap-on, Duralast. Just my two sense.

Im not bashing harbor freight, Ive got a ton of tools from there that are one time use pieces. Anything you use often you should spent a little more jack on.
Neither Snap-on or Craftsman Q wrenches are guaranteed for life........

Old 05-21-2010 | 01:04 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Nothing wrong with the Harbor Freight torque wrench. I have 2, a 3/8 and 1/2 drive. Never any issues with them, they work fine. Minor stuff you should be able to get by with the 3/8 drive torque wrench that I believe goes between 0 and 50 ft. lbs. If you want to torque an axle nut you will need to get the 1/2 drive that goes up to 100 ft. lbs. Someone did some comparisons on torque wrenches and the Harbor Freight one's were calibrated very well.

Old 05-21-2010 | 01:07 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

If you go to autozone they have free loners just leave a deposit!!! Charge or cash... Thats were i got my torque wrench and 36mm for wheel replace!!!!

Old 05-21-2010 | 01:09 PM
cpotts454
Cruiser

Greg MacD , Did not know that... Well thats some BS. Wonder why?

Old 05-21-2010 | 01:14 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

FWIW, I am new to wrenching on bikes and when I went to buy a torque wrench, the advice I got from the salesman was not to buy the one that looks like a socket wrench that you dial in the desired toque - but instead he recommended the one with a needle - his reason was that the dial-up ones are not as accurate and need to be re-calibrated often, whereas the one with a needle is much more accurate.....don't know the truth behind it all, but I bought the needle one and it seems to work fine - except, in some positions, it is difficult to read the specs as you are wrenching because the numbers are only on one side.

Old 05-21-2010 | 01:15 PM
FLYING
Club Member

If you purchase a ratchet type torque wrench that clicks at the set ft pound it may be off,additionally they should be calibrated annually.With that in mind I would recomend a non ratchet type wrench with a bar for reading the torque.This way you will always know if it is off and be able to adjust for it when you use it!

Old 05-21-2010 | 01:17 PM
tombeving
Road Master

The Craftsman's torque wrench is not guaranteed for life. I broke mine and took it back to the store for another. They told me it only had a one year guarantee like the power tools. They did give me a free kit to repair it.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench